Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Finally able to sit, but only in one specific chair...

Lala329LLala329 Posts: 283
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Chronic Pain
I know many of us have difficulties sitting, so hopefully someone can relate to this.

I am 4 months post-op, and pre-surgery I was unable to sit for more than 5-10 minutes without the help of pain meds. I am now really excited because I am sitting for over an hour without any meds and with minimal discomfort, but the problem is there is only one specific chair I have that allows me to sit that long (it's an office style chair). Most other chairs send my low back into spasm and my sitting tolerance remains very low.

I'm really anxious to be able to do more normal stuff like sit through a meal at a restaurant or go to a movie or something, but given that most "public" chairs are not exactly spine friendly like an office chair, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to possibly improve comfort in less than comfy chairs. I own about a zillion lumbar supports of varying shapes and sizes, but haven't really found one that does the trick. Are there any other gadgets besides lumbar support cushions that can be used to "adapt" chairs? Any good tricks for sitting in uncomfortable chairs?

• Lala, I can totally relate. I also have a gazillion pads/pillows etc but you can't always take them along or use them or even if you do, sometimes you still can't endure more than 30 minutes.

What I do when I can is sit with my legs or my "bad" leg (right one) out straight in front of me. If @ a restaurant, sit so you can put one leg out straight, or @ a movie, get one leg out laterally, etc..it seems that bending one's legs @ that 90-degree angle is what hurts the most & for me, causes those cramps & spasms & the burning tail-bone pain that demands standing up/walking around.

I talked to a pal of mine who's had 2 fusions & she also said the same thing. She also manages, like me, to sit in any car or truck w/ her legs out straight in front of her. Being a passenger is easier than driving, as when you drive, your legs are bent 90 degrees.

Sitting is just murder after a fusion, as you are finding out. Just my 2 cents.

Or try sitting on the floor, legs out in front of you, when you can (I do this @ all familiy gatherings & even at school when teaching.) I can sit like that for almost an hour---but I need help GETTING UP then!

And try to avoid ever sitting in any position on an unpadded surface...always take a small pad along or even sit on your coat, etc. I got stuck @ granddaughter's basketball game last week w/o a pad & not place to stretch out my legs, so I sat on 2 coats, a thick scarf & my fuzzy hat. Looked weird, but I made it thru.

You have to experiment! Good luck!

• a good recliner and my 4x4 car seat .if i have to go to hospital for an appointment i ask for a recliner or side room so i can lay down or i go back to my car and they ring me on my mobile when its my turn .as for dining out/cinema/other people's homes for get it unless the have a recline I have to stand and i can only do that for a short time
  • I know exactly what you mean! Don't you wish you could take your comfy chair anywhere?

My favorite seat is my saddle on my horse. It supports my pelvis in just the right way. I wish I could afford to buy a few of them and put them all over the house!
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    somthing that would work for you at relax the back.com. I did.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
This discussion has been closed.