Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

HELP - Reversal of Cervical Lordosis - 12 yr old kid

Kris-NYKKris-NY Posts: 2,207
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi Guys

I haven't been around as much. For some reason I can't get to the site from home - only from work.

Anyway I need help and fast. My 12 year old daughter was in the car with me in the accident. She had some knee pain after but seemed fine. Now 8 months later her jaw and neck started hurting. Now it seems to go down her arm also. Pain comes and goes.

Ortho says it's a cervical sprain - that her neck is straightened. She's doing PT with not much result. Had an MRI last week. Result is good except for "Reversal of cervical lordosis" at c5-6. Says vertebral bodies are in approximate anatomic alignment.

I've heard loss of cervical lordosis but not reversal. Is that the same thing? She's seeing a neurologist on Wednesday. Just wish I could learn more before the appointment.

Thanks - I know I can count on someone here having some answers.

• I know some people on here have had lordosis reversal so hopefully someone will reply.I had straightening with the disc herniations the muscle tightness caused it.I hope you get some answers before you see the neurologist.
  • Is reversed different from straightened? I feel like I am overreacting some days. Yesterday I had to drag her to school with a heat pack. Today she overslept but then she went off with no problem.

I know the pain can come and go. But what am I supposed to be doing as her mother? I drag my butt to work every day no matter how I feel.

Well one more day before Christmas break. I will be relieved not to have to get her up for 11 days!!
  • I hear ya! Well like they say pain is different for everyone.I have a feeling that the terms are intertwined,but i'm not absolutely sure.She probably isn't getting as much really good rest as she has before if her muscles are really tight which doesn't help the getting out of bed situation.I know nights where i get some sleep i wake up feeling like i had none because i know my body didn't actually relax.I hope she starts showing some improvements soon.
  • Went to the neurologist today. Not sure if I like her. She did her exam and then dismissed the possibility of the pain being nerve related. She said since it doesn't follow traditional nerve pathways it can't be nerve.

Well I think many of you will agree that doctors are limited by their textbooks!! Is your hand the same size as mine? Do you feel things the same way I do?? So how can there be traditional nerve pathways? I found all kinds of things written about nerve paths and how they intertwine.

So here is her recommendation. She wants an EMG on a 12 year old. And said to see a rheumatologist. I don't like either idea. My daughter is good with needles but I can't see subjecting her to that test. Especially when it is so subjective. I also don't like the idea of getting so far away from the neck problem before resolving that.

I am going to call the pediatrician and speak with the PT today. I told my daughter that she needs to spend the next week trying different things to see what helps. Heat every hour. Maybe a new pillow. Sleep on the other side. Shower at night and in the morning.

Any other ideas to try for the neck sprain?

Thanks guys and have a Merry Christmas.