Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Shopping for the hospital

texascowgirlttexascowgirl Posts: 535
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
This belongs in the pre-op subject,but the thread has gotten so long,I wanted to share just a note----This time I wanted to have things to put on that would cheer me up-I know I will be wearing the hospital gown,and I will have compression boots on,etc---but besides my robe I wanted bed jacket type things to wear while in bed--I am cold all the time anyway. I went to the thrift store and found several cute Kimono-type pajama sets,and several tops that didn't have any bottoms,and several bottoms that didn't have any tops. The bottoms I can wear later with tee shirts,but the tops are pretty and will give coverage over the hos gown. I bought 3 pants and 4 shirts for 20.00-----my point is if you need things like this,go to a thrift store!

• If you want to feel good in the hospital, bring along some yummy scented hand lotion, nail polish to paint your nails, cute slippers instead of the yucky hospital socks (though slip on slippers can be dangerous, get some that are more like shoes or moccasins), and bring your favorite blanket with. I brought with my humongous black faux fur blanket and all the nurses complimented it! It was also sooo soft.
  • Great idea about a blanket!---my husband brought me a huge stuffed dog when I had my first surgery,and I think I will take "her" with me this time--I slept on her
  • texascowgirl - what part of Texas are you in?
    I too am scheduled for surgery on Wed 12/23.
    I went to get some comfort clothes but I suppose us men are a bit different - I looked for the over sized t-shirtts that will fit easliy over the hard collar and shoes that can be slipped on without looking down. I feel like I've forgotten to prepare a thing or two here at home but my wife is so supportive and loving that I'm sure she's thought of all the things I've forgotten -
    I am taking your advice - I have one day left and I will go to local thrift store just to browse and possibly spark an idea.

BTW - I am just south of Austin in Hays county, but my ACDF will be in San Antonio.
  • Hi Ray!-good luck on your surgery! I am about 11 miles northwest of Krum---which is northwest of Denton. I am about 30 minutes from the Okla. border. My surgery will be in Plano. What surgery are you having?
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,862
    I've always felt that the standard Hospital gown was made so hospital workers can laugh as people walk away!
    It is so very important to make sure you are comfortable during your hospital stay.
    For me, it was a pair of those long gym shorts and a tee-shirt. Thats all I needed to feel like a human being.
    So, determine what it is that makes you most comfortable and then make sure you bring it to the hospital... Oh and by the way, dont let anyone at the hospital tell you cant wear this or that
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I'm taking advantage of pre-Christmas super sales to get the comfy clothes I'll need. Since my surgery will be lateral (through my side) I am guessing I wont want to lift my arms for t-shirts so I'm getting a bunch of button up pajama tops along with some loose bottoms in case they are close to my incision I don't want to irritate it.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • took a loose pair of shorts (so my butt wouldn't hang out of the gown) and my robe to the hospital. They give you just about everything else, and with the IV lines, etc., the hospital gowns seem the best, even though they are not very fashionable. Some of that stuff will be great for when you come home though!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • The hospital I went to actually gave me a robe so that my backside wasn't on display to everyone. My mom was shocked.

Linda, you bring up a good point. With the IV and everything, a hospital gown might work best during your stay.
  • I remember where Krum is. My wife, kids and I lived in Denton for about a year back when they were little.
    I'm having an ACDF - C3-4, C5-6 & C 6-7 * I have been told that I won't know how many levels will be fused until I wake up as the surgeon says he's leaving his options open and only wants to do a triple fusion as a last result.

Best of luck on yours!!
  • I can't believe all of you!!

I can't finish my Christmas shopping let alone shopping for surgery in 3 weeks. Between all of the appointments and my daughter hurting I don't have time to breath. Last night my husband and I tried to go to the mall. After sitting in traffic for 45 mins we went home. I tried to get him to look online but he wants to be in the store (geesh men).

I will admit that I am trying not to think about the surgery. When the holidays are over I will have one week to worry. My biggest fear is needing button down tops. I am pretty well endowed up top and the button always seem to pull. I wonder how long after the surgery it will be before I can go back to pullovers?
  • True about the hospital gown---I just wanted something else to put over it when I am in bed---I will take a regular robe with me----plus you just aren't too worried about how glamourous you are! At least I wasn't-I wanted to have something cheerful even it I don't wear it till I get home. I will have an incision in the front and back,so I know I won't want anything touching me.
  • My advice is to not over pack for surgery. You will probably be in a hospital gown for at least the first day. Then, one or two items of clothing that you think will work for your procedure. Lip balm, mints, toothbrush and paste, eye moisture drops, wet wipes, lotion, deodorant, hair brush, socks and some sort of slip on shoe with great rubber soles.

I overpacked, and it was a bit of a burden for my family. You really won't care how you look...its all about comfort and the basic necessities. Also, having a computer sounds like a great thing to have, but even it you have a light-weight one, it is difficult to use on the hospital tray, and too much pressure on your abdomen, even if you have a posterior incision.

• true! because you think you are going to need to pass the time,but you won't feel like doing anything but lying there and watching t.v.----at least my experience. as I tell my daughter---"don't overthink this"----if you need something one of your loved ones can bring it--but you are not going to feel like reading,computing,note writing,etc
  • I totally overpacked for my ACDF surgery. I wore sweats, undies, tennis shoes, a bra and a t-shirt to the hospital, took them off about 30 minutes after arriving, then wore them again to go home. I used absolutely nothing else that I'd packed - my book, my robe, my brush, lotion, etc. Of course, that was a one-day hospital stay.

Now I'm wondering what to pack for a 2-3 day stay. For sure I'm taking my laptop and glasses and I'll go ahead and throw in a robe and my slippers or non-slip socks that I buy myself. (I give my MIL the ones I get in the hospital.)

My feeling is that if you're feeling good enough to concentrate on a book or playing a game, then you might as well go home. Let's just hope my surgeon feels the same way.

• In my case I used the computer right away, and they still kept me for 3 days. I didn't watch TV or read much, I mostly talked to my husband and went online (free wifi rules!). Though my case is probably not typical, I would still bring with a laptop just in case. Netflix on the computer can be helpful too if you want to watch a movie.
  • I think the most valuable things I had for my hospital stay were...

-Febreze mini spray - I can't abide hospital smells
    -My laptop - it was a sanity saver
    -Mouthwash - I didn't bring it, but the nurses gave me some after I told them my mouth was so dry. It came with some spongy swabs. Great for a bit of instant refreshment.

...and that was all I really needed for my 9 day stay. I'm a HUGE reader but I couldn't manage reading or puzzle book/soduko or even the TV. The connection via the laptop to Spinehealth was the only thing I felt up to.
    I've found that any time you are in the hospital with an IV only the hospital gowns work because they snap open and closed on the affected arm. The IV prevents you from wearing things like your own pj's or t-shirts.

I am trying to find a good pair of slippers and some slip on athletic shoes so I don't have to worry about tying laces for a few months.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Egads - IV's! I had a blown vein last time, boy was that painful! After 9 days of liquids only (and I'm not a fan of the liquid foods they serve in there) my veins were non-existant.

I should give myself a time-out and not come in here for a few days - I'm really getting nervous about the hardware removal!
  • I didn't pack anything to wear at the hospital. I had 2 gowns per day one I used as a robe. I was there 4 days and wore the same thing home I wore to the hospital. "home clothes" make it difficult for nurses/docs if you have some type of emergency and they need access to anything. The only things that seemed sensible to me would be your own comfy/non slip sole slippers for walks, a blanket or stuffed animal or favorite pillow for comfort. They can be moved easily in an emergency. As far as electronics, I don't have a laptop, but I did have my cell phone. I mostly slept, watched TV or read magazines, I couldn't focus long enough for a book lol. I did have my hairbrush,toothbrush,toothpaste,shampoo,deodorant and carmex/blistex as my lips are always dry in the hospital for some reason. All but the hairbrush were offered to me at the hospital.
    Well that's just my 2 cents worth.
    May God Bless and Keep you...Comfey :)
  • I was just wondering about clothes to wear with a back brace. For those of you that have had one, do you wear it over or under clothes? I've bought myself some sweat pants but am still wondering about the top wear - I am also rather well endowed and am thinking about zip up tops.

SpineAz - I'm with you on the slip on shoes. Quite by chance I discovered a pair of slip on walking shoes with quite rugged soles. A must as I was worried about slipping on ice in my slip on althetics shoes. A real bonus was that they were half price!
  • I had a pair of "workout" pants, slip on, loose waist and one of my husbands button up shirtes, He is a bit larger then I am and had plenty of room for my brace, be sure to have a cami or tank top for under the brace,they can really irritate your skin.
    Good Luck,
    God Bless,
  • I did,and will wear my brace over my clothes,but actually it depends-for instance this time of year wearing sweaters,etc,you would need to wear under .It is something you will have to see what is the most comfie--so I think I just contradicted myself (sigh)
    For a lumbar brace I wore men's undershirts under the brace (it was never comfortable directly next to my skin. Then clothes went over the brace. But if I'm at home and recovering I'd likely wear it over my clothes.