Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hi i'm 27 years old with DDD

jimmyfan9jjimmyfan9 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
like i said im 27 with DDD among others i have had discectomy at T12 L1 in july of 09 two weeks later it hernatied again so me and my doctor oppted for fusion oct 7 biggest mistake of my life its now been three mths and i still cant take the pain.does anybody know if it will get better or not. i have hernatied disc from T8 through L3 with calcifacatin, spinal stenosis,spondylolisthesis.any help would be useful

• I am sorry to hear that you are dealing with all of this pain especially at such a young age.

3 months is still very early in the recovery process for a fusion so there still is a chance that it will get better.

However I have seen many folks that had strong regrets after having a fusion.

I had a microdiscectomy at L3/L4 and it took me a solid year to recover. So I am sure that it will take at least that for a fusion.

Have you talked to your doc about your current pain levels? What has he said about it?

If you look at the surgery section here you will find many others that have had this type of surgery.

If your pain is unbearable you may want to ask your doc about sending you to a pain management doc. They specialize in treating chronic pain and you may be able to find relief there.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • thank you and good luck to as well.yes i have spoke to my dr and he is sending me to a pain clinic next month
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you stopped by.. it is good to hear you will be going to a pain clinic next month. that should be a big help to your life!! :D good luck and keep us informed. Jenny :)
  • Hello. I am new here also. My problems are with the cervical discs. In my opinion, so far every surgery I have had hads made my pain worsen. BUT, that is me. Everyone is diferent. I hear many people talking of DDD on this site. DDD is not a disease as many people think. It is a degeneration of the disc from use, just like a joint, the disc wears down and becomes thin and brittle. Unfortunately once you start haveing back and cervical issues, I believe in most cases, not all, one never gts back to their baseline. My first fusion was 3 yrs ago, had it repeated in June of this year, then 6 months after that hardware was removed and c4-7 was caged with plate. I am sorry for your pain. I know I will live with some type of pain the rest of my life. I hope yours improves and swings the positive way. The more you play with your spine, the weaker it becomes. God Bless
  • still no relief meds dont work.dr talking about fixing other one or two dont know what to do
  • I'm sorry to hear you're still having pain after surgery. I hope your Pain Dr. will help you. I had a L5-S1 herniated disc and tear and now resolved I have DDD. Two years I haven't had surgery and still recovering. It takes time to heal. Please read DDD written by Doctors here. I hope you're feeling better soon and hope the PM Dr. helps. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • As the Bad Witch of the North said, "I'm melting." Getting sorter, shirt don't fit right either does my back brace I got a few yeas ago. The part that's suppose to be in the curve of my back is down lower below the belt line. My back instead of the curve being to the back like normal people it's to the side, have one love handle, it's called my body. Doctor says it's the worst spine he ever saw looking at my MRI. No joking, he says, it's really bad like a hundred year old mans, no older. What a pep talk. Well we had a good laugh I know it's bad and getting worse. Was doing pretty good after two surgeries but it's been creeping up on me. Then trimming a pine tree of dead branches for fire safety the ladder my landlord backed into rotated and flung me off when I was now on the underside. I landed on my boot right on the spine. My knee hit me in the chest. Everyone was surprised I didn't break anything. Now to get treated. After seeing the bone doctor and PG several times a new doctor came into the group and he really listened to me but after a little over a year working with him he died at 49. I never found out why but it bothered me that he was younger then me. He did a MRI but it still took another doctor at a pain management group that found that on each side of my hip bones connecting to the spine were damaged or as his analogy, they were loose. I was going there three times a week and after 48 times I was actually feeling better and standing better. Then I fixed two apple trees that fell over in a freak snow storm. Trees stared to bud, flowers weren't showing yet but the were there. So trimmed some weight off and rope and cabled things till they were standing. I don't think I was over doing it and felt fine after the first three day in the mornings. After cleaning every thing up and walking it to the back of the property, picking up the tools and ropes and bringing it all to the house and putting it away, I felt rather good. I put a tri-tip in the over and set it on slow cook I went to take a shower. Came back out and didn't feel hungry yet, had lots of water. Turned the TV on and maybe a couple hours later I was almost ready to eat. I really didn't feel like eating. I started cutting up the tri-tip and next thing you know it's almost gone. I couldn't believe it, I never eat much meat. I stayed up watching TV for a few more hours before getting to bed. When I woe up my hip was hurting and has been for about 5 weeks now. The pain management doctor wrote it off as doing to much over the weekend. Went to the ortho and he x-rayed my hip, little arthritis but nothing bad, pinched nerve in the back. This is two times in the last 6 months. Both times felt like the worst time of my life. Eating pain pills like tic-tac's. Been doing a lot of ceiling watching most of the day. If I do get up the longest place I stay up is on the computer but I need to take some real breaks. In the morning making coffee is a real ordeal. Standing is so painful. I'm wondering if it's those facets, bone things that keep those pile of bones together so they don't slip off each other or something like that I was told. There's no discs in the last three vertebra. I was told I'm down 3 inches. I'm not going to measure it because the doctor just guest and I really want to keep my head in the sand at this point. It would only depress me. I'll get into the life not fair mode for a few day. Then the sun comes out, I'll hear the birds singing, see the flower, something and drop the blues. I learned one thing on a cross country trip with a few friends. I discovered that life is like a graph and your life is always on the plus side even when your sad, it's still on the plus side. You have your good days and bad ones and it's always above zero on the plus side. When you get to zero, your taking a dirt nap and it's never going on the plus side again. I also see it as a book too. You always want to get to the end before setting it down. You want to see what happens, how the story goes at least I do.

Few picture of the place with my forest friends, the only thing that take me out of myself taking care of them, where I don't seem to have pain, well not that much. Some how I block it with my mind when I'm with my friends. Something about giving of yourself to others is good for your mental health.
  • I think it is safe to say that despite it’s intimidating name, DDD is not really degenerative, nor is it a disease. It is simply part of the process of aging. It is rarely any more painful than wrinkled skin or graying hair.
    I was diagnosed with DDD when I was 16 years old. I was so scared by the actual words DEGENERATIVE DISC DISEASE. I pictured my spine crumbling and my vertebrae rubbing together violently with every movement. This created a powerful nocebo (google that) effect on me. It is no wonder that my pain grew worse and worse.
    I still have DDD. In fact, my discs are even thinner now. I do not have any pain anymore. My back pain never came from DDD, despite the diagnosis. I am cured. Please, do not fear DDD. It is most likely NOT the primary cause of your pain.
  • Is what you say really true? Can I ask how old you are? That would be amazing. I was diagnosed at 22, now I am 26. My Doctor told me it would more than likely get better in my thirties and to be honest I haven't believed him but knowing someone that it was gotten better is really hopeful. (this is directed at Zack's post)
This discussion has been closed.