Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Update - One Year After L4-L5 PLIF - Words of Encouragement

Dalap83DDalap83 Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
It has been just over a year since I had my L4-L5 Laminectomy-PLIF with cage. I write not to brag but to offer encouragement. I went for my one-year check up and the x-rays showed solid fusion. I have no pain. I take no meds. I play tennis 3 hours at a time. I cleared the driveway this morning. The years of pain, surgery, post-surgery, drugs, walker, cane, and physical therapy are all becoming more and more distant memories now. I offer thanks for the words of encouragement I received here about a year ago, and in return I offer hope, encouragement and happy holiday wishes to all spineys out there.

• That's awesome news! Congrats on doing such a fantastic job of getting back into life!

• Thanks for posting some positive re-enforcement. As always this section is full of people entering or exiting surgery. All wondering and hoping that this is the answer to their problems. Especially during the holidays it gets more trying for some.

I'm about your age with 3 kids also. I've got a ways to go to get where you are but that is my goal and where my focus is. 1 year of recovery and some hard work isn't really so bad in the grand scheme of things.

• and thank you for sharing your encouraging story with us.

If I knew that I would have a successful surgery like yours, it would make it much easier to make the decision. Meanwhile, I am desperately trying to do everything I can to avoid it.

Have a wonderful Christmas and enjoy your family and being free from pain.
  • Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. This is helpful as so many of us struggle with remaining pain after our surgerys and hope the future will be brighter. Your story shows that it can be.

Have a wonderful holiday!
  • I was fortunate enough to select a doctor (Dr. Jessie Butler) who uses the pioneering UPLIF with InterFuse® Interbody Fusion System. I was one of the first 50 people to have this new procedure.