Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What was the Best

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Chronic Pain
What was the best Number 1 thing for you, in finding this site? Please take the time to give this plenty of thought.
I'll go first. I thought a lot about this as of late. And without a doubt, It would simply be that I did not feel so all alone anymore!
Good luck, Jim
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!

• they are easy to understand and give you knowledge enough so you can ask your dr. intelligent questions.
  • I felt so empowered going into surgery. I was scared but had learned so much here about my condition and what to expect that I was calm. The personal stories and links I got from everyone here helped me ask the right questions and be prepared for the toughest journey of my life.
  • I don't write very often but I visit quite often. This is probably the most educational web site. We can read each other comments and get a warm fuzzy feeling we are not alone in our pain. When I feel alone in my pain I can log on and find that I have alot to be thankful for including the caring people here. Then this site is attached to a wonderful website of knowledge of alot of the how and whys that cause our pains and sometimes what can be done about it. Thank you all for your patience with me.
    For some reason 'thank you' is probably one of the most forgotten two words in the english language. My New Years resolution is to say "thank you" more often.
    Again thank you
    Merry Christmas or whatever type of celebration you have at this time of year
  • Jim - It was nice to find people who were in the same boat or even worse off than I was. People who understand the pain and the worry was great. The support we get from others is wonderful.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Was a long time coming. I knew I needed someone to talk to. I had run searches and ended up at some other site. The repor was poor, So I manned up for a while and continued on my own. In January of this year the time had come and gone. I knew I needed a vent, more information and thankfully found this site.

It has been supportive from the word get go. No doubt about it. There seems to be that small faction of naysayers determined to argue and defeat, or is it deflate ones ego and most anything they don't like being said. To them I say, Merry Christmas. There is no logic in their wording, so I have decided to try and put my troubled mind in neutral when the naysayers say nay!

I reserve the right to thoroughly enjoy my time here and am attempting to not sweat the small stuff.
    This site means a LOT to people, me included, thanks to all who keep it running, listen to the complaints and do their best to remove any offending material.

No. 1 would be the people 99% of them.
    No 2 would be the mods who keep this show on the road!

• When I first came to Spine-Health, I found some comfort in the articles related to my cervical problems but then I quickly found the forums. Having felt completely and entire alone with what was happening to my cervical spine and terrified as to what it meant to my future, finding others that not only understood but were so very supportive was truly amazing. There's not one person in my offline life that understands even a fraction of what I deal with every day, both physically, emotionally and psychologically, and our members not only understand, they live it every day with me.

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I needed Them. Because lately I've become very disenchanted with S.H. especially the chronic pain site.
    I remembered my marriage counselor many years ago when my wife and I were going to part. He said think back and tell me what drew you to your wife. There had to be something very strong to start a relationship. And if you can look back on that. And Build on it, maybe you could get back to where you were.
    S.H. has grown so much since I first found it. And as with all things, not completely for the better.And I think that as hard as it is, sometimes I have to make myself Just move on past the things that bother me. Because the majority is still the S.H. that I came to love. But, I do get Irritated and stuck on the negatives. And I spend more time lately clicking the "delete" And not posting my reply.
    I really wish that some would preview their posts, and decide that it's not constructive. And really only self serving. And click the delete button also.
    I stated my number 1 best thing that drew me to this site. but there were many many more, most of which all of you touched on.
    We are a family of people that are the same, in that we all suffer. But at the same time we all suffer uniquely differently.
    Good luck, Jim
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • What first drew me to SH was the company of the people in the chat room. They kept me out of my ever-increasing depression and isolation. I was not alone! Over the past year, we have certainly had many dramatic ups and downs in chat, but I have made a great number of wonderful friends. Their friendship and support significantly outweigh the troublesome times that some have caused in chat. I also find helping others here to be very therapeutic for me.

Happy New Year,

• as professional patients i have found that if i need to know something regarding my "spine health "{just thought i would get that in !}i ask on here as there is someone that will have the answer .i have wanted to know something and i have asked my doctor and he has said that i know more than he dose {about backs} as we live with this awful problem we tend to find solutions and coping mechanisms and the doctors don't have that experience .so i would say experience is what i find good about this site and all the caring people of course
  • The Spine-Health site is growing with a whole new crop of newbie, spineys, backies, neckies, lumbies...ies' etc.
    Soem people are born givers and feel discouraged when they cant help, is that pat of whats going on? dont give up on us yet bro!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Hey, Jim. I'm sorry that you've become a bit disenchanted with SH and I can understand as it grows and all different kinds of people join.

But I wanted to mention something to you that I just realized this week.

I'm scheduled for another surgery, this time a TLIF, and I'm very scared about it. My doc even gave me some anti-anxiety meds because basically, I'm freaking out. As I go through all the basic pre-op rigamarole this week, it's just getting more and more real that I'm headed for another spine op.

As I'm going through this stuff this week, I started thinking about Spine-Health and what it will mean to me while I'm laid up during recovery and even while I'm in the hospital. I realized that I get a warm fuzzy among the panic when I think about how I'll be able to get on here and know that I'll have help from all my fellow spineys along the way. Yes, I'll get physical help I need from my family and friends, but the psychological help that I know will come from this forum is something that helps to keep my emotional rollercoaster from careening out of control.

Stay with us, Jim. You're one of the voices of reason that keeps SH the great site it is and we need you. Like Ranchie said, don't give up on us yet, my friend.

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I do take a hiatus every now and then. Cath, I also am nearing my surgery date. # 6 and the last for me!
    And maybe, that's got something to do with it. It's scheduled for 1/19.
    And Ranchhand, Your right. I am or was a giver. But lately I've had so many problems myself, that I can't be that person. And if you look at my med. history, you would think that I've been at this so long, that I should have it figured out by now! But the roller coaster ride is just ever changing! Now I'm starting to whine, so I'll close now.
    Good luck, Jim
  • I've had some disappointments here myself. Especially seeing some people banned that I had felt were nice and supportive people. I guess that I must have missed what it was that they did wrong. I tend to allow people in pain a bunch of latitude, as I know how darn grumpy pain can make me. I have seen some posts where I believe that people were "catastrophasizing" their experience (picked that one up on CNN today). But, we can never know how someone else deals with pain. A microD for one person may be every bit as painful as my three-level fusion. And, there are others here who have had so much more done to their spine than I have and I wonder how in the world they ever survived it. We just never know. Of course, there are those who claim they were in such excellent shape to begin with that a triple fusion was a walk in the park, or those who just can't get it through their heads that they won't be running marathons again. Hang in there and we'll all be praying for you when your time comes for surgery. Goodness -- I do hope that #6 is the charm for you!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
This discussion has been closed.