Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is scoliosis purely a genetic disorder?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Scoliosis
Interesting study.

Genetic predisposition seems to be necessary, but there remains an elusive environmental trigger. It could be increased Osteopontin levels, decreased melatonin levels, CNS infection (viral), trauma, or a little bit of all o them and some we haven't even discovered yet....and the search continues...

The role of exercising in a pair of female monozygotic (high-class
athletes) twins discordant for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis

Potoupnis, Michael E.; Kenanidis, Eustathios; Papavasiliou, Kyriakos A.; Kapetanos, George A.] Aristotle Univ Thessaloniki, Sch Med, Papageorgiou Gen Hosp, Dept Orthopaed 3, GR-54006 Thessaloniki, Greece.
SPINE. 2008 (33) P.607-610

Study Design. The report of 2 cases and review of the literature.
Objective. To report the cases of a pair of female monozygotic
(high-class athletes) twins discordant for adolescent idiopathic
Summary of Background Data. The relation between scoliosis and
exercising is rather unclear. The latter has often been considered both
as a therapeutic means and a causative factor of the former. The
existence of genetic predisposition in the development of adolescent
idiopathic scoliosis is commonly accepted. According to the best of our
knowledge, this is the first report of a pair of female monozygotic
(high-class athletes) twins, discordant for adolescent idiopathic
Methods. A pair of 13.5-year-old female monozygotic twins, high-class
level athletes of synchronized swimming, was clinically examined during
a school screening program. Both girls were observed in the standing
erect position for asymmetries of the lateral contours of the trunk,
shoulders, and scapulas and their limb's length was measured. The
"forward bending test" was performed to determine the existence of rib
hump asymmetry.
Results. One of the sisters was considered to be suspicious of
suffering from scoliosis. The radiologic evaluation that followed
confirmed the existence of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis (left
thoracolumbar curve of 32 as measured by the Cobb angle). The clinical
and radiologic evaluation of her sibling failed to reveal the existence
of any spinal deformity.

CONCLUSION. Adolescent idiopathic scoliosis seems to be a
multifactorial skeletal disorder. The role of exercising and heredity in its development remain controversial.

The information provided by members of Spine-Health should never be considered as formal medical advice. It is recommendations based on member's personal experiences only. This can vary from person to person, so do not take comments as medical rules. Edited by moderator Paulgla

• My scolisois started after my first spine surgery.
    I have heard it can be heridtary though.
  • kfrahm92kkfrahm92 Posts: 1
    edited 03/05/2015 - 10:40 AM
    I've always had some back pain growing up, and I knew that my dad struggled with back pain for as long as I can remember. Later I found out that it was scoliosis that caused the back pain; when I was 18 I was in my first car accident that had in resulted in a possible spinal injury. I was alright, but I was very close to having broken my back. Later, that year I went to a chiropractor because my back pain had become unbearable. When they finally took x-rays it was noticed that I had mild scoliosis (from my neck, down to my thoracic cavity). I am pretty sure my dad's curvature in his spine is in the same area as mine, and also I believe that my grandmother has scoliosis as well. To this day, I still struggle with back pain to the point where I am taking ibuprofen quite often to handle the pain. Is it possible that my condition is heredity? I've heard that less than 2% or something have scoliosis that was heredity, and the most common cause is just randomly caused. If it is hereditary, than will it worsen as I age?

Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

This is an old thread, for the best responses and support I suggest you make a new thread, you can do this by clicking on 'Create forum post' on the left column.

This discussion has been closed.