Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My Surgery is finished...

BamaCherylBBamaCheryl Posts: 45
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
and I am back at home. Surgery was a success. I spent Tuesday through Sunday morning in the hospital. My pain is now managed pretty well, but I am having some ill side effects from the Oxycotin (loss of appetite being one and nausea being the other). My doctor has sent me home on Oxycotin for the major pain and Percocet for breakthrough pain, Bactrim for antibiotic, and Robaxcin for muscle relaxer. I am also on an anticoagulant for 7 days called Lovenox, which I inject into my stomach. Surgery lasted 11 hours. I was very swollen upon waking in the recovery room that night. The anesthesiologist was great with me and very humorous keeping me at ease up until time I went into the OR. He told me he would sit by my side and massage my face to keep it from getting pressure spots. I only ended up with one very sore area and that was over the right breast bone. I am still numb on the surface of the skin and very red almost like a burn. The doctor could only explain it as to laying on that spot so long in surgery and that it will go with time. The surgery totally wrecked my stomach and today was the first good day in the toilet. I feel so much better just to have my system regulating again. To be honest, I have handled the pain of the surgery better than the discomfort of the bloating and constipation. The first day out of the bed walking was the absolute worst day but it got better each time after that. The hospital was so busy that I didn't have a bed after surgery. I slept in recovery overnight and half the next day. After surgery I was told I have 20 staples and about a 9 inch incision. There were 3 JP drains in the incision that lasted most of my time in the hospital. The last one came out on Friday. That night my H & H levels dropped some, which surprised my doctor as blood loss was surprisingly minimal in surgery so I was given a unit of blood. All in all it has been a good outcome and other than a few hurdles the past few days, I have come out very well. I go back and have the staples removed Christmas Eve. Merry Christmas to me! Lol Hope you all are well and I will be reading a lot to catch up this week. Hugs!


  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Sending healing wishes your way. I hope your recovery goes well and keep us up to date on how you are feeling.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I've been waiting to see a post from you. I'm glad you're home and doing well. Get yourself some yogurt with active cultures in it to help your digestion -- especially if you're on antibiotics. Sometime the drugs will kill off the good bacteria in the intestines and you can be very sick. I also had the "no room at the inn" feature to my surgery and ended up spending the night in recovery with four guys. Also, no call button for the nurse! It was quite a fun experience. I'm glad to hear you'll get your staples out before Christmas. I had internal sutures, so no metal to be removed. I hope each day gets better and better and your recovery is as smooth as possible.

    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Glad you are home, Cheryl! Merry Christmas!!

    Take care,

  • Oh good- you are home and seem to be doing well :) Congrats and keep it up!
  • Hi Cheryl,

    I'm happy your surgery is all done and you're home. But home for me was worse than hospital, I wanted to clean house, etc. after that first few days. DON'T DO IT EVEN IF YOU WANNA. Get someone else to do and bi*ch till they do it to your standards LOL.

    Best of Luck in recovery and Happy Holidays
  • Glad to hear you are home and healing "normally" take it easy and enjoy your Holiday!!,
    May God Bless and Keep You... healing,
  • Let me add my voice to the well-wishers. When you feel up to it, I am curious why your surgery was so long? Did they do more than the two level fusion?

    Take it easy and remember to rest and walk and rest some more.


  • Best of luck with your recovery. Hopefully you'll be feeling more yourself soon.
  • Just sending you some well wishes O:) O:) O:) for a speedy recovery. Now surgery for Christmas -- that's quite the tall order for Santa (LOL!) -- hope you have lots of family and friends giving you extra TLC these next few weeks.

    Glad you are home, rest up!

  • I'm glad you're back home safe. I hope you continue to heal well. It's a relief that everything is starting to move along. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi there. Good to see such a positive spirit after going through so much. What a long procedure. It's amazing how badly a body gets banged up during these long back surgeries. My last one was only three hours and I came out with bruises in odd places. haha If they don't position you just so, you get aches and pains from being there for so long. I was wondering if you had mentioned your nausea to your doctor? I had the same sideeffect due to pain med and we found a pill that helped with the nausea. Phenergan is one my insurance would cover and it made me feel better. You might ask about it. No sense suffering needlessly. I wish you continued healing and send lots of positive energy your way. Hang in there, the best is yet to come. Be patient while your body takes care of itself and be sure and walk about. It helps the mind and the body. Merry Christmas to you! May the upcoming year be one of your best!
  • Hello Cheryl hope all is well and you have a very merry Christmas that was quite a long surgery for you but I know your glad your home for the holidays. Remember to take it easy and not to overdo it.
  • Sounds like you are doing very well and that's encouraging! I hope you have a merry Christmas and a great New Year!
  • Great to hear that you are home again, and managing quite well. I've been thinking of you each day and wondering how you were getting on.

    Were you expecting the surgery to be so long?
    Hope that you are more comfortable with the staples out today.

    Wishing you speedy and uncomplicated healing and a peaceful Christmas.

    Take care
  • Sorry it has taken me so long to post again. For some reason my computer connection wouldn't load this site all weekend. I appreciate all of your well wishes and hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. I am feeling so much better since the staples came out. The incision is healing nicely and my doctor has scheduled my next follow-up for 6 weeks. I finally got my stomach straightened out last week. Yay! I have lost about 10 pounds over the past 2 weeks. Of course, the doctor told me to eventually lose a few to help my back, so I am on my way, but what a way to have to lose it. lol I have the greatest hubby who without him I dont think I would have made it through this far. He has done things for me no husband should ever have to do for his wife. lol But I am so glad to have him. He was reluctant to leave me to go back to work today, but I know he was getting a bit stir-crazy and was happy to see him go back for that reason. I am having some nerve pain radiating through the right leg off and on. When I asked the NS about it last week, he basically said that if I live through the nerves healing to do so, because he was trying to avoid the steroids. I am thinking because of the weight gain side affects. The nerves some days nearly have me in tears. He said they were a trapped mess and now they are hanging free and healing. It will just take time. I hope you are all well and I am so glad to be on this side of surgery now. :)
  • That you are coming along well.

    Happy New Year,


  • Sounds like you are healing well. Just need the nerves to sort themselves out now.

    Did the surgeon tell you why the surgery was so long?

    It must be a great sense of relief that it is behind you now, and you are on your way to an improved life.

    Take care and have a happy and peaceful New Year.
  • that I was a challenge...the greatest one to date. lol I don't know if that was a good thing or not. My L4 and L5 slippage was very progressed and the nerves were all intertwined in-between the two bones and it was a tedious process separating everything out. He is also a well-known perfectionist and has to do everything just so. That was according to his OR nurse and the anethesiologist prior to surgery as well. lol They said he would keep me until he was certain everything was done to his satisfaction. He came in almost everyday to check me in the hospital and would fuss if the nurses didnt do what he wanted them to do to his specifications. I really respected him for that. :)
  • Good to hear things went well.
    It so stinky when there is no room for you after surgery. I thought waiting 3 hours was bad after microdiscectomy but you have me beat and your surgery should have put you higher on the room priority list.

    Sounds like the doctor has been real tedious and is very careful about his approach. I will agree, try to avoid steroids if possible. You will not like the side effect. My microD didn't work and as a last ditch effort before requesting MRI, my doctor thought maybe my incision inflammation was taking long to come down so he put me on prednisone. Terrible 9 days of jitters and no sleep and nausea. I also felt I retained water weight.

    Take it easy and keep us updated!

  • JellyHall - have you had any surgery? Is it DDD with significant disc height loss?

    Just curious. I have a herniated disc mass pressing on my nerve. The reason I'm going for revision Microdiscectomy is because of the mass pressing on my nerve. My new surgeon is waiting a few more weeks to see if it dries just a little on its own to give me relief but doubts it will. He is more concerned about my herniated mass than the DDD/loss of disc height at L5-S1. He said it's not great but not the worst. He told me that he'd assess me differently if it were JUST disc height. He would lean toward seeing if I was having nerve compression due to the loss of height based on my feedback and other tests. I don't have much advice but curious. Decision for surgery is very difficult.

    I had some doctors tell me I had to get a fusion. My current and new surgeon and a few other opinions told me absolutely try to revision first b/c fusion is a big deal that comes with its own risks. I just kept talking to doctors b/c I was unsure my pain warranted a fusion. I do understand that if this surgery doesn't work, I cannot live like this and will go for fusion or research ADR.

    Good luck

    {didn't mean to hijack this good new update thread}
  • You had a very good surgeon who took a lot of care to get everything just so. I'm sure that your recovery will reflect the care that he took. I'll watch your progress with great interest. It is encouraging to hear how you are managing so early on in your healing.

    It is so difficult to make the decision for surgery. Did you put it off for long or go straight into it when you started to have problems? I was wondering if the nerves being intertwined between the two bones was due to you waiting. I am putting off surgery if I can, but do wonder sometimes if things could be getting worse while I wait. My surgeon told me that the disc at L4/L5 is almost gone, and nearly bone on bone. He said that the vertebrae will fuse themselves. He didn't say that would be a problem though.

    Wishing you good healing.
  • DNice,

    I've not had any surgery yet, and hope to avoid it. However, I am wondering if 2010 will be the year I give in to it. I think that the DDD with disc height loss, is just another problem. My main problem seems to be the slipped vertebra at L4/L5 which has kinked my spinal cord and is causing compression on the cord and nerves.

    I saw a doctor today and she is going to refer me to another surgeon for a second opinion. My nerve irritation is getting worse, as I have more and more tingling, pins and needles and burning and stabbing pain in my feet and toes now. I also get muscle cramps and spasms and twitching in my lower back, legs and feet.

    If I have surgery, I have been told by the first surgeon that it will be a laminectomy to decompress the cord and nerves, with stabilisation by fusion with hardware.

Sign In or Register to comment.