Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Crash Pictures - this'll make you hurt

saltzworksssaltzworks Posts: 1,031
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Okay - so here is my sister's crash that broke her neck.

Fortunately, of unfortunately - depending on how you look at it, the ER did not look at her neck, they just looked at her lower back. She recovered after a lot of stiffness and headaches -no surgery yet.

It's not been until years and years later that she is having to get a nerve conduction study done because of numbness in her hands and arms...

• I goofed - there are two of the one photo and I missed the second one -

• Good Lord that looks bad! I guess she came out OK, considering everything? You were right, though, that made me hurt just looking at it. Looks like she hit the ground and then the horse slid on top of her? Glad she's still here to tell the tale!!

Happy almost Christmas
  • Like looks like Christopher Reeve's accident...glad she faired better than he.
  • Exactly like Christopher Reeve's accident. She was very lucky.

Things are starting to get to the point that she is also looking at surgery - I've told her about SH but she's not not big for online stuff.
  • There must be a million prayers of gratitude for surviving this accident well! Oh my word!!!!!!!!! That's a LARGE miracle.
  • Wow, those pictures are insane. She is a very lucky person. I hope she does at least look at SH, it could help her a lot.
  • We've always considered it quite the miracle. She is now a massage therapist in the VA/DC area,has had 2 kids and just has to be careful with her back.

I think it's insane that they just looked at her lower back and it was at least a year, after continuing headaches, that they looked at her neck and found out that it was actually broken. By then they told her to just never get in a crash or she would be toast, and let them know if she started to get numbness.
  • That could have been me but I wasn't jumping at the time. I was thrown off my horse, landed on my right hip, fracturing my lumbar vertebrae and causing extreme sciatic pain. I am having a laminectomy and spinal fusion on Monday. I wish your sister the best. Does she still ride? I hope I can once I am recovered.
  • My cousin was a world class rider (Olympic hopeful at one point) and about 6 years ago she had a similar accident in Northern Virginia. She fractured several vertebrae and had a severe concussion. She was unconcious for several days and hospitalized for a week or so and has residual issues with coordination and memory. She has not ridden since but she, like your sister, was lucky to some extent. I hope your sister finds relief.
  • I always loved riding, but was never tempted to jump. Just trail riding for me thanks. I have been told, however, that I can't do that anymore either.

I'm glad your sister came out of this better than Christopher Reeve did. I hope she gets some relief.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • AJamieson - She continued on and even worked as a race track jockey. She does still ride, but now mostly concentrates on teaching her kids to ride. Her little 4 y/o girl is quite the blue ribbon winner.

Jan - I wonder if my sister knows your sister - she is there in N. VA horse country and has also trained with the local Olympians. Now she works there as a massage therapist for people and horses.

Isteller- Her nerve conduction test showed some impingement. I don't know what's next for her yet.
  • That's such a scary accident :( I was in an accident with my horse in 2005. I didn't injury my neck or back but was still pretty beat up...
    I was riding my new horse for the first time. i was very excited and forgot to wear my helmet. a truck back-fired and my horse took off down the road. im not sure if it spooked her or if she was remembering her racing days or maybe a little bit of both. i tried stopping her but instead she slipped sideways. all i remember is the feeling of my horse falling out from under me. then i blacked out. Apparently i kicked my feet out of the stirrups (that's what a witness said). My horse landed on my right leg and rolled.
    I ended up with 10 staples in my head as well as a very bruised right ankle and road rash head to toe. also i fractured my sternum top to bottom.
    I was very lucky that day. i still have that horse and she is doing wonderful. as of 2007, I'm barrel racing her. do to my back injury in April 2009, i haven't been riding her.
  • Dodgegirl - Love the avatar :) I was the oldest sibling and my family didn't get into English riding and jumping until after I was married and gone. I was Western all the way - 4H, barrels, riding club :) What memories!

Oh -but that accident of yours! OUCH!!! I've been on runaway horses before but I always lucked out and only ever went off into soft dirt or grass - not a road like you did! Like Isteller said, Yeow! Lucky you kicked your feet out and didn't get hung up in the stirrups.