Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just to say hi and introduce myself..

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,623
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:40 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello,

My name is Sharon. I'm here because I need to educate myself. I would also like to learn how other people deal with pain and Doctors. I've always had a fear of Doctors since I was a little kid and it's not a good thing when trying to advocate for myself.

I've had problems with my neck and lower back for years and am just now starting to get treatment. I finally got x-rays then, MRI's and just got my EMG back. I'm going to be seeing a surgeon.

This is all very confusing to me and I'm very upset by the treatment I recieved from my Primary care physician.
I'll explain more under a more appropriate topic.

Anyway.. I just wanted to stop in to say hello and introduce myself :-)

Thanks for reading...
advertisement

Comments

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    I too have "white coat syndrome" I'd like to suggest that when you get the information that you'll need. That you write down all of your questions,(even though some dr.s don't seam to like that) although, many do.
    Before I've gone in for some of my most important appointments. I've researched and then rehearsed what I want to say. Only to draw a blank when the time comes. You may also want to take notes. Or have a loved one go with you.Because there is so much to absorb and remember, that a person like you or me will likely misunderstand or confuse the things we hear.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • j.howie said:
    I too have "white coat syndrome" I'd like to suggest that when you get the information that you'll need. That you write down all of your questions,(even though some dr.s don't seam to like that) although, many do.
    Before I've gone in for some of my most important appointments. I've researched and then rehearsed what I want to say. Only to draw a blank when the time comes. You may also want to take notes. Or have a loved one go with you.Because there is so much to absorb and remember, that a person like you or me will likely misunderstand or confuse the things we hear.
    Good luck, Jim
    Thanks Jim...

I've researched and written things down and yeah.... The doctors I've run into don't seem to like that at all. lol
    I'd have the questions in my hand and draw a blank because the Dr will talk over me or change the subject. It's awful.
    I really don't think my PCP thought I was having a serious problem, or maybe she was too rushed to care. I don't know.
    But I'm not giving up.

When I go see the surgeon, I have to know what questions to ask and I have no clue. I have a problem explaining symptoms because there are so many and it varies etc.. it's just so hard to explain. I'm hoping that I can just get some kind of shots and be cured.. that would be awesome.

Thank you so much for responding.. it's nice to know I'm not the only one that freezes up when it comes to Dr's :)
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am so glad you stopped by. you are indeed venturing into an area where you need to know the questions to get the answers you need. the forum is a great place to come to get an education into what to ask, even how to approach a doctor, what not to say!! good luck and i know with a little education you are going to be able to speak competently with any doctor. :D Jenny :)
  • Thank you for the welcome, I appreciate it :-)
advertisement