Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

mattress topper

Grandma LindaGGrandma Linda Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Sleep Problems
Hi, I'm new to this forum.
I'm looking for a mattress topper, and my DH & I have narrowed it down to a latex foam. My DH thinks it would be better if we get a thicker foam (4") because I have rather large hips, and I need the cushioning. So I'm asking for some opinions: Do I need to get the 4", or will a 2" or 3" serve just as well? Also, I would appreciate some leads on WHERE to buy it! It seems like places such as Sears, Penny's, Walmart, etc. only have 2". Have any of you purchased online?
I've had sciatica for 18 years due to two herniated discs, and I'm told there's some arthritis. However, until recently, I've never had trouble sleeping. (Thank God!) In the past few weeks the pain has shifted from the right side to the left (I don't know why).
Thanks, and Happy Holidays!

• I bought the memory foam mattress and it has 6" of foam and 5" of memory foam. It's so comfortable although once in awhile since you don't move you can wake up feeling hot but overall it's wonderful! I bought it online but it was from Canada and I can't find the link anymore so not sure if they're still in business. I've heard other positive things about the memory foam topper here also and you can buy it at Walmart reasonably priced.
    Type in the blue box at the top of the page above memory foam and it will give you more posts on the subject. I hope you get a good deal for boxing day specials. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • From the research I've done, I've read that the Latex Foam is preferrable because it is virtually odorless. It's better than the memory foam for people with allergies.
  • online at Overstock.com It's a 3" Memory Foam and made a HUGE difference in my bed! The cost was only $55 and the shipping was free (it often is, or they also often run less than $2 shipping depending on how much you spend). Doesnt hurt to go to their site and click to the bedding section and find the mattress toppers-they have all sizes and many different thicknesses, etc. Good luck! Let us know what you end up with and how your sleep is improved! :-)

Oh, regarding the "odor" that some complain about with a memory foam topper...that odor goes away w/i a couple days & you can't smell it at all once you've put a mattress cover on it and then made up your bed with the sheets & such. I was concerned about the odor myself because strong odors can trigger my migraines and it wasn't bad at all. I got mine, let it "unroll itself" as they recommend for however many hours it said (maybe even less if I remember correctly), then put it on my bed. The only time I've had a problem with it is when I was living in the tent over the summer-it was my bed and it ended up tearing in the middle (where my fat bum/hips lay, lol), but I don't believe for a minute that would've happened if I hadn't moved it all around & had to sleep on the ground with it-leaving it on my bed probably would have never seen a tear in it.

In fact-I'm going to start shopping for a new one & see what the prices are-I'm curious since it's the end of the year-maybe I can beat my other "great deal" I got on that one & get a new one that's not torn :-)
  • Linda, I'm with you. I prefer latex. I liked it so much I bought a latex matress. The reason I prefer latex is you don't get the dent. The dent you can't get out of, or roll out of. Latex lets you move around more easily, versus memory foam. It has 2 downside one is cost, but given that latex last longer. It's worth the difference. And weight. True latex is very heavey, so it's not easy to move.

From the research I've done, and personal experience(not a small woman, weight in the hip area, and lumbar issues also), latex foam is very dense. So you don't need as much latex foam, as memory foam. My best opinion in comparing the 2. 2 inches of pure latex memory foam is equal to 4 inches of good quality high density memory foam. So for me 3 inch for a 240lb person was fine. It was firm and supportive, but not hard. So if you want it softer get a thicker pad. Your matress will also play a factor on firmness and softness.

I got my toppers and a matress from a famous online auction site, and an online store. I had good luck there. I personally couldn't find any toppers or matresses in my area, but I live in the middle of no where. If you do decide to buy online, and want to make sure it's true pure latex. Ask your seller the weight of the topper? If the shipping weighs very little it's memory foam, I got burned on that one.

I hope this helps, and if you have any questions feel free to pm me. I'll be more than happy to help.
    Bobbi Jo
  • I am loving my new 4" memory foam topper. I bought it from a popular online store on a deal of the day special. Regular almost $500 and I got it for $89 with free shipping. I don't know anything about latex, but this one is wonderful, I'm sleeping more comfortably than I have for a very long time. PM me if you want to know the name of the store.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!