Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My dumb accident and doctor's report....

dehoyos13ddehoyos13 Posts: 290
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey everyone. I followed the many posts of advice yesterday and called the surgeon who saw me today. there were 6 post op patient's ahead of me...be he asked his assistant if I was there yet.

its hard to imagine that a doctor who does so many surgeries could remember one but he did...remembered our conversation Sunday morning and all of that. He did in fact call the emergency room for his interns to be expecting me and not to make me wait. I love him for that alone....I could have sat there for hours!

In any case, the CAT scan shows all the bones and hardware are in place. The slight curve of c5/6 is due to muscle spasms. He says there is a contusion near the surgical site and there is some bleeding into the vertebral tissue which will resolve on its own. I'm to return in 2 weeks. I also have swelling at the surgical site on my throat which is why I can't really swallow very well.

He was great, gave me peace...more so because he remembered every detail of my case. He had just walked in...still has his morning coffee in his hand. Then he tells me that if there are any new symptoms, if I am afraid or have new pain that he is available by phone 24/7. How much more assurance do I need.

Oh....the only thing is.....2 more weeks of EXTREME REST. Like seriously...could it get any more restful???? Oh and no more percocet. He said go back to Vicoden. Percocet is too strong. If I sleep all day the muscles in my neck will not strengthen on their own and will extend the amount of time I'll need PT.

OK...I'm a married woman...very happily for 23 years but I think I love my dr! Just kidding. He really is great and we should all be so confident with our surgeons.

Thank you all for your previous posts, concerns and advice. They were all well taken. Oh....AND STILL NO COLLAR! He said the cage plus the titanium plate are enough shock absorbers and stability I need. I'm glad he exlains it all now. I feel better (emotionally). I'm still hurting 'cuz I didn't take any pain meds in case I had to take a cab home. You never want to fall asleep in a NYC taxicab!

• Great to hear you're not seriously injured, Yvonne! And I'll bet you'll recover more rapidly now because you have more confidence in your doctor's care and concern--and having peace of mind helps one to relax and that will translate into less tension in your neck. :)

Enjoy your Christmas! (very quietly though!) image

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Now, please stop worrying! Now you'll have a good excuse not to have to help with the Christmas dishes....

I'm delighted being conked on the neck did not disturb your surgery. Please give yourself permission to relax and stop worrying...and be careful with that online shopping. It can be dangerous, too.

xx Gwennie
  • I am so glad you are ok!
  • Happy to hear of your Dr. appointment outcome. Its so good to have such confidence in your Dr., I love mine too. I think it is such a help mentally to have faith and know they are there for you.

Now, as far as 2 more weeks of total rest....you can do it, you must do it. It is such a small "blip" in your lifetime (this is what I tell myself when I am a bit down and cursing out my brace or struggling in and out of the car!) I think many of us have trouble saying "no" and add in the holidays and all those expectations we put on ourselves, its tough to put ourselves first. But we must!

I will be right there with you trying to rest, my body is telling me to slow down, its only 4+ weeks from surgery and while the kids are off school I am going to instill a "sleep late" rule, even have pajama days. Also, any relatives wanting them for the day or a sleepover will be told YES!!
  • That your hardware is intact. As for the bleeding issues...you have GOT to rest. You can not take any chances with bleeding around your neck...seriously!

• Inchworm....thanks...How's you get that great pic on your response????? its great. Have a great Christmas.

Gwennie....yeah...no dishes for me!!!!! Of course, no going outside, but hey...I can do this.....(with lots of discipline and hope). Online shopping....dangerous sure but at least not to my neck! LOL...unless my husband chops my head off for spending so much money. ha ha

Thanks texascowgirl....my daughter would be jealous. We're from NYC and since she was 5 she wanted to be a cowgirl. Now she just wants to marry a cowboy. Whatever works. She had a horse at our house at the Catskill Mountains that we kept at a friends stable....they had a huge snowstorm...like 36", he got out and hit by a car.....sucked for her. Enjoy you Christmas. Is it cold in your part of Texas???? I've probably asked before but sorry...I've got loopy medicine brain.

Lisa....it is good to have faith in your doctor. I didn't even choose him, my pain management doctor has a coop with a bunch of different sports meds surgeons. Mine specializes in spines...disks, tumors, cancers....he's the best. Thank goodness my kids are grown already. The 15 year old though....he could make you want to yell your head off! If you rest, I'll rest. I need a rest buddy. how much more extreme rest can I get? I can't walk anywhere...we've got ice everywhere and its cold! My living room furniture is super comfy but I can't get out of them 'cuz they swallow you in their super softness. I'm not even in my own bedroom becuase I have a waterbed I can't use yet. But yes....I will rest and take it easy! I promise (without crossing my fingers behind my back) ha ha. Have a great Christmas.
  • I sent you a pm with instructions. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • It sounds like you have a very reassuring Doctor who is there for you that is awesome. I know it may be hard to rest extremely but so important to get better. Not so easy over the holidays but it's great you have family to support you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Glad to see everything went well for you quite a scare well enjoy your christmas and rest is the key don't do to much.
  • Thanks....seeing as this is practically my only access to the outside world it'll be fun to make the posts cute.

I have no cable in this room seeing as I didn't plan on sleeping in my daughter's room more than 2 weeks. ha! My doc says another 8 weeks at least. Once I get my recliner into the living room (from our mountain house) I can watch the news again and sit with my family!

I'm wishing you all the best this Christmas season. We have reason to celebrate. Life is good...regardless of what it tries to throw our way. We can do this!
  • Hee Hee,

I trip up the stairs too! I specifically bought fleece lined crocs for my recovery and yet my feet still spaz out on me.

I mentally have all of these things I "should" be doing with the kids for the holidays, but, guess what? They were thrilled to have 1/2 days at school, then PJ day, watching "Prep and Landing" now and happy as can be.

Rest up everyone and let others do what "needs" to be done for the holidays.
  • I'm SO GLAD your doctor gave you good news! Resting is boring but hey, it beats work right ;) I try to take advantage of the resting days instead of dwell on how boring and depressing it can get. I know, easier said than done, but maybe get some really comfy new fuzzy pajamas to wear. Target has tons of cute "Nick and Nora" brand pajamas that are sooo adorable. They even have some adult sized footie pajamas, ha.

The slip-on type slippers are a nightmare for me. I fall out of them while going up/down stairs so I have to stick with the moccasin-style slippers.

I think I may have over done it today. I'm going to rest in bed for as long as possible.

I'm going to send you a PM too.
  • Tickled to hear your good news. Enjoy your holiday and rest!
  • It's good to hear you're gonna be fine, and how wonderful that you have a doctor who really listens. I like my surgeon a lot too. After the things I threatened to do to him while in a rage of pain, though, I don't think he'd warm up to me much. :wink:" alt=":wink:" height="20" /> A good surgeon is a great find!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I think I love your doctor . . .we may have to fight over him and I never met him.

I'm so glad you called, went to ER, and got peace of mind and are being rechecked in 2 weeks.

Your doctor sounds amazing! Not only going the extra distance to show concern and not 'wait' but also his ability to explain why he's doing things like giving you Vicodin instead of Percoset.

Truly fantastic. I'm so sorry about your accident but so glad that it doesn't sound like anything major and that you are being monitored.
  • :X

I'll share...we don't have to fight. I mean really...how could we????? LOL....I forgot the other day and tried to pop my son in his forehead! ha! PAIN. This is truly when spanking a child will hurt me more than him! Wasn't spanking him...he's 15. We were just playing.

My dr. was great though. I had to call again this morning because after stopping the percocet, last night's pain was enough to wake me every time I turned. I'm a restless sleeper. He's such a sweetie though. You'd think he'd be tired of hearing from me. He just said to take two vicoden and 1 valium before sleep but to make sure I eat something first so that it won't affect my stomach. I've had a few surgeries before. I've never had a surgeon that had this much attention to detail and was as compassionate with his patient. I'm glad.

Enjoy your holiday!!!!!

• Now you can relax and enjoy Christmas.

I love the sound of your surgeon. I wonder if he could look after me across the Atlantic!

Take care,
  • awww...where are you from?

My doc's originally from S. AFrica. Was in a hospital at Durban, the somewhere in the UK, then back to S. Africa. He's been in NY for many years now though.

I do soooooo love my dr. This is the first time I can say that. I've had 2 laparatomies for endometriosis, surgery to remove serious warts, my gallbladder removed (emergent) and surgery to repair a deviated septum in my nose (sinus infections for 2 years!). This is the first time I can say that my surgeon has me completely at ease. I hesitated to call him...even in the weeks directly following the surgery because I thought he'd be like the other doctors. Nope. he's a gem....I'm grateful that I got him.

LOL.....are you well?????

• I was born in Uganda and spent my childhood in Kenya, East Africa. Now I live in the South East UK.

I haven't had surgery, but have seen a surgeon. He didn't have a particularly good bedside manner, but I believe he is an excellent surgeon. He does all spine surgeries and trains other surgeons in minimally invasive techniques.

At the moment, I'm still trying to avoid surgery.
    I cope quite well most of the time, but have indications that there is nerve irritation. My main problem is sciatica in both legs. I am getting more and more pain in my neck these days too, so wonder what is going on there.

Have a wonderful Christmas.
  • I was born in South Africa and grew up there, though my family is from the UK where I have ended up.

Jellyhall my surgeon is also from South Africa and I would recommend him if you can go private. He is based in Reading, Berkshire. PM me if you want his details.

Yvonne, sorry for hijacking your post. Great to hear that you haven't come to serious harm from your accident and that your dr is looking after you so well.
  • scottiegal...you didn't hijack my post. Its so important that we get the best surgeons we can. I'm glad that through this posting you can recommend a good doctor to another spiney!!!!! Yay!!!!

Have a great day!