Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I am SO tired

yasminayyasmina Posts: 166
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Had acdf 5-7 on Nov. 30, about 3 1/2 weeks ago. I am so tired all the time. This is obviously not a great time of the year not to be able to get stuff done. I am best in the mornings, so try to get as much done then that I can. By this time of the day, I am exhausted.

Is this normal, in your opinion, for this amount of time after the surgery I had?

• I know surgery can take a lot out of you though I haven't had back surgery. Why don't you call your Dr. for a check up just to make sure everything's okay? Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Im 1 week postop and Im the same way. Although you are further postop than I am. I know my pain meds make me feel tired all the time. Are you taking narcotics? For some, it makes them have energy, for me...they make me sleepy all the time. It does take a while for all the anesthesia to work out of your system and for your body to recover from the trauma, but you do need to let your doc know, just in case.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Yes, it's normal. You are probably not getting quality sleep. After my ACDF I didn't sleep well for at least 6 weeks and was very tired much of the time.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I think this is normal. The surgery is so serious even though it doesn't always seem that way. Whether you're taking the meds or not, you'd probably be tired.

Be sure to take it easy...even during this holiday. Its easy to do things when we feel better but we pay later. I'm proof that sometimes we do things that seem ok but don't end that way. Please....take it easy. I remember you posting before your surgery.

This is a great forum, so I'm sure you'll find that this is normal. I'm 6 weeks out and I'm still tired a lot. Then again, after my dumb accident the ER changed my Vicoden for Percocet which kicks my butt. Thank goodness my wonderfull doc told me to stop the percs.

Take it easy. Think of it like this...whens the next time that you'll havea holiday when others get to do all tlhe work? Its our training into a life of leisure. Personally, I don't think I'm cut out for it! ha ha...

Have a great Christmas despite the mandated rest. you won't regret it!
  • Of course I am not a Dr., however, I am 4+ from a 2 level ALIF and If I "do too much" I am shot for the rest of the day. Give yourself time and rest. Your body has been through a lot. Rest up and let yourself heal.
  • I think that it is absolutely normal after spine surgery. After mine, i was exhausted come afternoons for many weeks. I made the mistake of going back to a desk job at 4 weeks (part time) and was really exhausted by mid day.
    Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• From chatting with you, I know you are finding it difficult to slow down! So slow down girlfriend, rest up and enjoy the holiday season. It is normal for you to still get tired, your body is trying to tell you something lol.

Merry Christmas!

• I get tired too, and I have done alot - multiple holiday parties, light house work, dealing with the kids, etc. Women are natually instinctive to "do it all" - and we pay the price when recovering from surgery in addition. We are are own worst enemy - and are body usually lets us know.

I go for several days I have energy, then a couple of days tired... now I am getting a cold for Christmas -- likley because I have worn myself down, and I am still having trouble sleeping with this collar on too.