Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Holiday Dinner

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,040
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:40 AM in Spine-Health Announcements
I a very curious as to what different folks have as their Holiday dinner.
Growing up as an Italian from New York City, Christmas Eve meant have the seven fishes.. I still remember as a young boy, that my Grandmother would have live eels in our bathtub until she was ready to prepare them.

For so many years, our Christmas dinners were Italian in nature, (Pasta Dish, Side of various Meats, Eggplant) and about 50 hours after eating, the men would retire to the living room and smoke their cigars.

Since both my wife and I love to cook and my son is a formal chef, we have moved away from those dishes to things with more artistic looks and taste.

This year, we are basically doing a German Christmas Meal.
Pork Roast, Braised cabbage, Potato gratin and a bunch of other things. I've picked the wines, a light by toasty Chardonnay from California (Capoola) and for the reds, I am using one of the best new wine makes, Joel Got. We are uing his young Zinfandels

So , please describe what you and your family will be having for Christmas
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement

Comments

• We have the usual traditional turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce and eggnog. This year we're having chocolate eggnog for a change. Instead of a whole turkey since we're just 3 of us this year we're having turkey thighs. I'm glad just to be with my husband and brother although I miss the big family reunions we use to have. But I still have memories.. Merry Christmas. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Being Jewish, our Christmas dinner is usually Chinese take out. : )
  • We decided on a change this year. We are doing Cornish Game Hens, veggies, and potatoes. No desert, we are both trying to cut down! A bit of red wine might be on the menu as well. :-)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Seafood chowder on Christmas Eve and Prime Rib for Christmas dinner.

"C"
  • Cool post, PapaRon.

Because my family has dwindled down to about zero over the years, for the last two years my husband and I have another couple over for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. Neither of us have children and we always enjoy their company.

For Thanksgiving, we always go traditional. Melinda and I do all the cooking and it's turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, the works.

For Christmas, we started a new tradition last year and will do the same this year. They'll be over about 11:30 and we'll enjoy a bunch of different appetizers that we've either made (ham & cheese ball, bacon-wrapped asparagus) or that have been sent to us as gifts (sausage and cheese, honeybaked ham). Then we go to a movie and this year we'll be seeing "The Blind Side."

Hope everyone has a great holiday and enjoys being with family and/or friends.

Cath
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,883
    I have come home for my first Christmas in UK for 7 years, my daughter, her partner, Grandaughter and myself went to my son's house.
    We had a large turkey with small bacon wrapped sausages, homemade stuffing, bread sauce with roasted chestnuts, roast potatoes with vegetables. The dessert was Christmas pudding and Mince pies with cream. It was delicious. The log fire blazing in the fireplace made it lovely christmas atmosphere with plenty of laughter.
    A great day was had by all

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • For our Christmas dinner we had honey glazed spiral ham, cheesey potatoes (grated potatoes mixed with a sauce of cheese, butter, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, some seasonings, and topped with toasted bread crumbs, yummy), home made buttery rolls, jello salads, vegies, fruit tray, and our traditional home made (nonalcoholic) eggnog. Every year I think I am going to change the menu, and I have lots of complaining from the kids. Can't change the traditional menu... But man is it loaded with fat and calories. And of course there are always goodie trays from neighbors, or christmas chocolates sitting around just waiting for little hands to grab.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • This year we went to my parents' for Christmas Eve and my mom made a wonderful lasagna with tossed salad.

For Christmas, I made a beef round roast in the oven, I brased the beef in thyme, black pepper and olive oil. I then put it in a bag with fresh carrots, potatoes, celery, onions.

We went to my parents' again for New Years day and my dad made prime rib and stuffed pork. It was so delicious.
  • One tradition my family always had when I was growing up, and that I've carried on with now that I'm older, is that we would have chinese food on Christmas Eve, not take-out, we would actually prepare all the dishes ourselves. Christmas morning was always homemade cranberry muffins, and the traditional dinner later in the day of turkey, roasted potatoes, mashed turnips and carrots, this green mold jello type salad that all us kids thought was so gross, lol, homemade rolls and dressing. New Year's eve was always homemade pizza!!
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
advertisement