Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

OK...so who's ready admit you overdid it??????

dehoyos13ddehoyos13 Posts: 290
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

so how many of are willing to admit (already) that you overdid it for the holidays?

As for me....I woke up at 11am ate breakfast and then slept until 5:45 wondering where the day had gone.

I'm tired like crazy and when I woke up...my neck was screaming at me in some language I do not understand. ha ha....

Well, spineys....lets try this recovery business again. I'm still tired. 2 Vicoden and 1 Valium before bedtime did the trick...too much of a trick actually. I'm super, super, super sleepy.

but I had to drop in and see how many of our backs and necks are screaming 'OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH'. HA HA

I hope you all had a great day!

• got a WII today. i was up late with too many wines christmas eve. of course today i had to try golf, bowling, baseball and tennis on the WII. who would think some electronic toy would wipe this poor body out. that stupid toy should have a massage therapist feature!!!
  • I got that for the kids last year. I swear...my elbow has never been the same from that bowling game. ha ha.

Yes...it should come with a therapist. I haven't been able to play for at least 3 months now....2 months before surgery and in the 7 weeks since. I used to love Guitar Hero World Band....can't play that either.

Enjoy your WII...hey, they didn't make pain pills for nothing!!!!! haha....thanks for posting. I'm really bored in my room. Can't look down and there are kiddie toys all over the living room and dining room floor! ha ha
  • I definitely overdid it. Drove 45 minutes in the car back and forth, then had lunch with my husband at The Cheesecake Factory. My back felt fine that evening but now is 2 days after the fact and I'm still in tremendous pain.

I'm getting my hair done on Tuesday and I hope hope hope hope that sitting in the salon chair doesn't hurt me like this.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I'm not due for fusion until 2/3/2010 but the last few months have been bad. We went to 3 parties yesterday starting at 4 pm and got home at 1 am. I'll pay for that all day today and tomorrow with pain, no sleep, etc. I will admit that being off work due to my back it felt good to get out and socialize with 3 different sets of friends. I knew all along I'd pay for that fun and thus far it's still worth it (thank goodness for good TV marathons over this holiday weekend).
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I really haven't done that much...I did bath one of the dogs today, but she got up in a chair in the shower, and I was sitting also. My dad is going to bath the other one tomorrow.

It is amazing how little it takes to cause grueling pain...I'm off to bed...sleep is my only relief.

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!

• Now you're making me jealous!!!!! I can barely brush the back of my hair much less blow it dry or go to the beauty parlor. I have this curly mess in the back of my head.
    well, I mean I can have it all curly but the back is a mess. I like my hair straight and easy to brush. ha ha.....so so so jealous! LOL
  • I am a week until fusion-was with family today and will be tomorrow--my wonderful husband and girls dont let me do anything,but i can't just sit there!Just getting up and down is wearing-----I still have 2 presents to wrap!I hope everyone gets some rest!
  • I hope everyone had a nice Christmas I think I may have overdone it. I was cooking christmas dinner and I tell right after I finish I haven't been able to move since but My surgery is soon approaching so I am excited I think we have to be careful around the holidays. But good luck to everyone and merry christmas to all!!!!!!!!!!
  • Yesterday wasn't too bad - as long as I kept standing up during the meal, but today we decided to take advantage of the Boxing Day Sales and buy a new lounge suite. Found one that is brilliant but all the sitting down and standing up in loads of unsuitable ones has really done me in.

Of course this lovely chest infection I picked up hasn't helped. By the time I've got one hand holding my back together and the other stopping my head from falling off, I've run out of hands to cover my mouth. Oops. It's my second infection this winter and I'm just so scared I get another one after my fusion. Does anyone know what effect if any echinachae has on fusions?
  • I'm sorry to hear that you're sick as well as in recovery! That's got to stink.

I have so very clearly discovered that while taking 2 Vicoden and 1 valium help me sleep....they put me to sleep for almost 10 or 12 hours!!!!! I wake up hurting anyway so hmmmm, I think I'll go back to 1 vicoden and one valium. I'm missing the holidays with my daughter because I'm sleeping the day away.

So tonight.....we'll see. I have groggy head LOL.....benefits however is that I'm not hungry!!!!!

Lets take it easy these few days
  • I was on the verge of overdoing it.
    We toned everything down b/c I am terrible and my husband didn't want me overdoing it more than he already knew I would.

So we didn't decorate, didn't make christmas cookies. I kept it to gift shopping, wrapping, and some small baking for the Christmas family dinner we went to. I generally tend to overdo it with the dog b/c she loves playing fetch and tug-o-war. I have to watch it most with her.

Today take it easy as possible b/c tomorrow I go see my nieces.

My husband is trying very hard to get me ready for my revision microdiscectomy to ensure this time it works. He keeps reminding me that if it will not work if I don't really take it seriously. He's right but wow, for some reason I look at him like he's scrooge b/c I just want to have some fun.
  • Yep I did a bit too much yesterday too. I had to keep stopping for a rest. As a result we didn't actually get our dinner until 6.30 but as I had cancelled the MIL and our usual guests it didn't really matter! I have been fairly stiff today though!

I am also going to get my hair cut next week as I have to go back to work on 4th Jan. My usual style is reeealy short and it hasn't been cut for 11 weeks now so is a right old mess. I usually go every month. I too am worried about managing in the chair for that long but I cannot go back looking like this!

Have a good rest before the new year!
  • ha ha...the "scrooge" you're looking at now will be your angel later! and he's absolutely right.

But hey... you can't tell me often enough how tormenting this taking it easy thing is! for 2 nights I've been in a deeply medicated sleep! If I keep this up but the time I wake up next time my daughter will be back in college!!!! ha ha...

Take it easy....pay now so you can play later!

• I have a really good firm cushion/support that I use in the car or on chairs. I take it with me to the hairdresser and it is great support for my lumbar spine while I recline in the chair to have my hair washed. Then it is also great support when I sit up in the chair. It was expensive but so well worth it. It can be adjusted to suit different sizes of people.
  • Yes, I overdid it....yes I overdid it......you guys/gals don't need the details, just fill in your own blanks!! However, I will give myself a small "pat on the back" for all of the things I opted out of doing this year. Ha!
  • Me, me, me!

And the worst is yet to come tomorrow as I host a party for dd12 (tomorrow)'s birthday party with at least 20 people.
  • I agree - I have been over doing.. I am a type A personality - and an ER Nurse to bat. Very hard to keep me down.. and have never had any surgery before.. so this is all new, and I hate it.

Since I have been stuck home, not able to drive in this miserable collar, and have an over protective husband... when I have found drivers, I have gone to three parties, and one holiday dinner before Christmas. Then holiday gatherings with family for Christmas Eve and church on Sundays of course.

Christmas I work up with Larnygitis, and today I have a stuffy nose.. Rhinovirus take me away - on top of pain from the surgery or over doing it in the right neck and shoulder, and some slight headaches are coming back past week... I hope that is temporary ( I hated that - main reason I wanted the surgery).

So, it is rest time now..my body is letting me know.

Hope you all are taking it easy now too, and enjoy the new year! (Look for me New Years Day in the collar on the Rose Parade Route - I will still do that!)
  • I overdid it as well. I had to take an extra vicoden and zanaflex to get to sleep last night cuz my back was screaming in pain.

I had to play Santa all by myself and pull all the presents out of the closet and put under the tree. Some things were not very light. Then stuff the stockings. Then I made Christmas dinner after unwrapping presents and helping put toys together all morning. Later on at night I was alone for the clean up too as everyone went to bed and I can't stand waking up to a messy house.

Definitely too much bending, lifting and twisting and still feeling it now. Also my legs are aching terrible.

I hope we can all take some time to recover and relax.
  • Jellyhall - that cushion sounds good. I have been worrying about visiting other people and their chairs! Might have to get one!
  • I have overdone it the past 2 weeks!! I am about 8 weeks post L5/S1 fusion but I have put up my Christmas Lights, played the Wii the last few days, traveled back and forth to NM (500 miles each way) however, I am in PT already and doing rather well.. THANK HEAVENS!