Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Had my l5-s1 microdiscectomy, low pain, but still have genital numbness

phenom34pphenom34 Posts: 27
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had my laproscopic microdiscectomy on l5-s1 about 10 days ago. It went perfect i think. I noticed immediate relief in a lot of my symptoms.

There was a low level stabbing pain in my butt for the longest time prior to the surgery that i didnt even notice i was so used to it. It is unbelievable how much more comfortable life is without that and i didnt even realize it was there in the first place. My sciatica is virtually gone as well already.

Today I didnt take any pain killers and made it through most of the whole day without a single notice of pain, except a bit at the end from bad sitting posture.

The pain in my back from the operation has also resolved already, I am simply amazed at how good today went so soon after the operation.

One of the main reasons i wanted to have the surgery was the fact that I had some numbness/decreased senation on one side of my penis/scrotum. I definitely noticed an improvement on this and I feel I am at a liveable spot right now. I just get down thinking that I might be stuck here and the condition is permanent.
Does anyone think it will continue to get better? Hopefully one day returning to 100%? Otherwise I am completely healthy.

I am going to start taking b vitamins (b12,b6), acetyl l-carnitine, and r-alpha lipoic acid as ive heard they can help with nerve degeneration.

• I have also heard flax seed oil taken daily is great for nerve regeneration. I don't blame you for asking man, if I had a penis I wouldn't be happy with partial feeling either :P
  • My insight is to keep being careful. Do not overdo it just because you feel good. I swear I felt great at 10 days too (though I never got relief) and came off pain meds (which my doctor was surprised by).

I thought I was taking it easy but I think I was a little less strict with myself about bending and carrying things. No one knows but I hit the 10% statistic of reherniation within 3 months. So whatever you do, pamper yourself for 3 months. The key is walking, not sitting too long, and listening to your doctor's advice.

As for the numbness?
    I am female with similar symptoms of partial numbness in groin area. I didn't regain anything but again, I re-herniated the disc and really have seen no improvement (or decline) in my situation since the day I herniated the disc.

I'm told with Nerve pain, it can take up to 3-6 months for nerve to 'wake up'. Yes, some can be permanent but its time that will tell. I was told it is likely I will not regain my ankle reflex but they are still hopeful the numbness in my buttocks, groin, and leg will return. They said my foot will be the last to 'wake up'if at all.

Not sure if anyone really knows. It stinks. I would try the flax Seed oil as it probably cannot hurt but just let your doctor know to make sure it doesn't interfere with any meds you are on.

I know you must be disappointed but it sounds like you are actually doing quite well! I hope I can say the same after my surgery. For me, it's encouraging to hear you got some relief b/c it should get better for you as time progresses!
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    The healing of nerves takes a long time. When I had my neck surgery (ACDF) it took a good 6 months for most of my sensation to return in some areas of my arm/hand which had been affected by the disc impinging on the nerve. So you should gauge your improvement each month instead of each week or daily. I also had some "spurts" in which all of the sudden I'd realize some sensation had returned while the day before I'd had numbness in that area.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos