Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain in my shoulder and arm

yasminayyasmina Posts: 166
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
is getting significantly worse.

It seems to be primarily in the evening, after a day of activity. Then at night, it's almost like the lack of movement makes it even worse while I sleep. I just woke up for my 3 AM bathroom visit, and I was nearly in tears just trying to sit up. I'm still sleeping in the recliner, which up until recently was a godsend.

So do you think this pain is normal, like after my lumbar surgery I had shooting pains down my leg as the nerve healed? But that pain was right after surgery for a week and then was gone. I'm nearly 4 weeks out of surgery, and this pain is getting worse.

Of course, this is a holiday weekend, so I hate to disturb the doctor. But I will if the experts here tell me that this is NOT normal.

I have to go to dh's family's xmas party this afternoon, then tomorrow host a birthday party for my daughter. We're expecting a lot of out of town family, so it's going to be a lot of work.

I have just enough pain medication (vicodin 7.5) to last until Monday if I only take 2 per day. With the pain level I'm having, I won't make it.

So please tell me. If this is normal, I will suck it up and work with the pain. If you tell me otherwise, I will skip the party today and put a call in to the doctor.

Karen (AKA yasmina)

PS. The homemade candles were a big hit yesterday!

• I think you are overdoing it and not allowing yourself to heal. Your nerve pain won't settle down until you take it easy and let the inflammation subside. Do you take anything for nerve pain such as Lyrica? I had horrible nerve pain after my fusion and it took a couple of months for it to completely go away.

Hope you had a wonderful holiday.

• Karen,

I am not sure how active you are, at this point and time. If you are just attending and not moving around and having those levels of pain then something is wrong. However, if you are moving around alot and doing physical things then the nerves are responding to it as well. Are you taking any muscle relaxers and or nerve meds? The nerves that were compressed are going to take sometime to heal. One of the draw backs of neck surgery is while the initial surgery pain isn't to bad, many people then start over doing it. Then those nerves start talking away reminding you of the major surgery you had. Not sure about where you live but here prescription pain meds can't be called in, the script needs to be hand carried. But as mari said you may just be over doing things at this time.
  • I am definitely overdoing it, but can't seem to stop or slow down. Stuff needs done, and I don't want to to listen to dh itching about it. He does do a lot of things around the house, so I can't complain, but he can't do it all himself.

So I asked him today if he would mind if I didn't go to his family's party (keep in mind he never goes to any get-together with my family - he made that clear before we got married, and I don't take offense), and he said YES, he minded!!

I couldn't help it, I broke down in tears. Partly, no doubt from exhaution, pms, and pain. So he picked up the phone and called his mom. He is taking our girls to her house, then she and his sisters are taking them to the party and bringing them home. I guess his mom must have given him an earful over the phone because I am forbidden to get out of my chair for the day. LOL!

Tomorrow will be the worst for me. As I said, it is dd soon-to-be 12 birthday party. We have relatives in from FL and an old friend from HS is stopping by (haven't seen him since his dad died, and that was only briefly by chance). So of course everything has to be perfect.

OK, am going to take a nap. Thanks for your input, and believe me, after tomorrow, I am definitely going to veg out.
  • indeed these are busy days but more important than an absolutely clean home is an absolutely healed surgical site.

As for the parties....people get over it...you're hurting and putting yourself in a position so that you hurt more later does not speed your healing.

don't worry about what others might think or feel about your current situation and how you're reacting to it. You really are the only one to deal with the after effects of overdoing it. Let your kids have a great time with the in-laws and you rest. A happy mommy is better than a mommy who went with them to have fun and now sits and cries because the pain is too much. I've had those crying spells where the pain is more than I can bare. I try not to get up at night to use the potty because it hurts.

I'm sorry that you're in this predicament. I like to quote Ziggy the cartoon "its easier to apologize than clean the mess". Truer words were never spoken. Relax and rest when you can. DO NOT OVERDO IT! You'll pay the price and its not worth it. Trust me...I'm now on a 2 week extended rest because I went out shopping and got hit in the head by my car door.

Yes... please do veg out tomorrow. My doc put me on 2 Vicodens and 1 Valium at night. I've got to stop that...the first night I slept from 2am until almost 1 in the afternoon, the slept again until 5. Last night...from 1am until almost noon. If I keep this up, my daughter will be back at college and I would have missed it!! ha ha

Oh, Yasmina..please...take it easy. the pain is too real!!!!!!! Because I didn't rest correctly and overdid some stuff, I'm still on restriction. Learn from me....please.
  • Hi mari,

Thanks for the kind post. I do take lyrica - 75 mg. 3x's per day. Right now it doesn't seem to be doing anything.
  • Hi tam,

Unfortunately, I am doing more than just attending events. Especially tomorrow, for my dd12's birthday party. I do take lyrica - 75 mg. 3x's day. I have for over 2 years, so maybe it's time to up my dose??

I live in PA, and pain meds up to vicoden can be called in. Percs and higher need hand written scripts.

Thanks for your kind words, and I am DEFINITELY over-doing it.

Karen (aka yasmina)
  • Yvonne (right? correct me if otherwise),

It was so great chatting tonight. Thank you so much for your kind words, and I hope that your pain goes away soon.

Tomorrow will be the tough day for me. Like I said in chat, it's my dd12's birthday, and I am hosting a houseful of people.

Monday is my veg-out day, and I will call the dr. first thing in the AM if there is no improvement.

Karen (aka yasmina)
  • it was great chatting with you too. sometimes the chat really drives away the boredom for me. I get so lonely sometimes. My husband is working so hard. I didn't expect all these weeks out of work. I thought 2 would do it. boy was I wrong. I'm not regretting it though because eventually I'll be better. And hey....I got to meet all these great folks on s/h.

I hope your girl's party is a huge success and that its all she wishes for. Take it as easy as you can and touch base tomorrow after the party. I'll be praying for you throughout the day. WE love those people in our lives and want the best for them....I know. My daughter is here from college and I didn't take vicodent until an hour ago so I could stay "non-groggy" or silly with her here. So...do your best. Rest when you can and get make sure your doc is clear about your level of pain. I took a sheet of paper with my questions on them and my doc answered every one.

I wish you the very best...not just during your recovery but for all of your days!

Yvonne (yeah...you got it right)
  • Yasmina - our surgery was the same day. I too get right sided posterior neck and into the posterior shoulder / mid trap area pain - even when I swallow it hurts in that one spot (so odd). I tried backing off the pain meds, but that was a mistake - so I have stuck to Vicoden and Robaxin. My body is used to the VIcoden unfortunately, becuase I had taken it for so long before the surgery. I had also tired to go back to sleeping in the bed as I miss my husband - but that made it worse too - so back in the recliner I am now.

I too get worried that it is the surgery site (the pains), or something is wrong.. then I remind myself, that yes, I have been doing alot of activities with the holidays, and with my house in general, and need to rest. And that the nerves heal at a millimeter a day.. my doctor said it can be 18 months before you know how much permanent nerve damange was done.

I do notice some symptoms are the same as before the surgery - but not as severe - so I am greatful for that, and hope the neveres continue to mend.

Only time can tell for all of us. But I stay hopeful, take my mdes, and rest when my body is telling me it has had too much.