Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

claudiacclaudia Posts: 167
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Chronic Pain
WELL TO ALL HAPPY HOLIDAYS... WELL I had 2 major back surgeries one in 2006 and the other 2009, this time i had a 4 level fusion...i still have numbness in certain areas will that ever go away??? as the weather gets colder ohh cannot take the pain i try to sleep but i awake in all hours w/ pain..iam fusing which is good i found out my left cage has shifted 5mm stable at the time but the burning ppain has not gone away i did the pool like forever just walking for 35 min.. no stretching the bottom screws are very think cannot bend, i do the stationary bike for about 45 min to an hour no weights or treadmill to bouncey for me.. i keep going to the surgeon and he has been requesting Rdiofrequency injection forever the insurance keep denieng, the send me for physic eval and to other doctors... i do not know what to do??I have been awake since 1 am it is now 3;30 am no sleep.. sure i take lil cat naaps during the day but i want my life back i mean i do get up and hit the bike but will i always be like this i know i will never be 100 percent but something has got to give the burning pain is awefull.... do u have any suggestions for me i am doing everything am told to do!!! @ my whits end

• i carnt help hun but i do feel for you ,,and i hope that thinks improve for you soon how bad is a fusion as i may have to have one or ADR IN THE NEAR FUTURE?
    TONY X
  • I see you've been around for a fair amount of time. Not familiar with your story. When did you have you 4 level fusion? Which levels? 4 levels is big time major and I would suspect the recovery would take a really long time.

• Claudia I wish you well. Have you talked with the surgeon about the burning pain? My lumbar fusion is two levels and it took about six month to get out of the brace. The doc used cages and it did well. Try to keep your head up, I struggle alot with depression, due to pain. I know what you mean about not sleeping, etc. Good luck.
  • I had my 1st surger in 06 l-4 l- l5 and s-1. went back to work in 3 months a year later being in lite duty the company transferred me an hour away.. and a year later i could hardly walk... while working seeing a pain management went through every test spinal stimulator pre vail injections joint injections ect ect .. so much scar tissue 6 months later had a cts scan and mri..and boom doc discovered i was filled w/ nothing but holes.... no fusion no evidence of any fusion the screws wre stuck in my bones bones wre bleeding for 2 yrs had a blood transfusion did not know....my pain management sugg i see a surgeon and i did was looking in the wrong direction orthopedic not neurosurgeon dragged on that finally found a good one went for 3 opinions then i needed a major reconstrution l-2 L-3 L-4 L-5 AND S-1 totally f---- up after...taking soma vicoden 500 mg 2 tx a day since i have spamis i take a valium @ nite...the pain is bad the burning stops at my knees i feel like i am getting shot in da ass.. i need a radiofrequency joint injection in which they have to knock me out because i have tooo much metal in my back 10 screw s rods plates cages and recently one of my cages shifted 5mm out oh well and do not forget i have numbness over and i know will nrver go away... but the burning abd thee pain does not let me sleep... and i live in chicago and it is soooo cold here killing me..waiting to see bout this injection have to be admitted for that .. they keep dragging ...now i have degerative dic diese and u know what that is from multible surgeries what can i say otherwise am healthy do not drink but smoke cigs lots cuz iam bored and acannot sleep..sorry so long dave... but that is most of my story i believ the 1st sugeon messed me up.. hard to prove and as u know no doc will go against another my goal is to get better and get my ass back to work if they take me fighting for that also thank u for reading
  • What time this year did you have the reconstruction? How is the fusion progressing? Still holes or are you fusing solidly this time? There are a lot of reasons for the fusion not growing solidly some of which are micro-movement, an ill fitting brace, etc. I smoked after my fusions and I know they say it will keep the fusion from healing solidly I never had that problem. I feel for ya. Good luck. BTW after my last lumbar fusion the doc refused to release me for work, that was a blow. Still hard to deal with sometimes, but with the pain I have I couldn't imagine trying to work. Again Good luck
  • retiredbosin, i will be one yr next month . already fusing mycageis stable except one has shifted out 55mm
    i whore a stimulotor for 9 months and back brace also bought orthopedic back brace and it helps... Hell naw i know i had 2 major back surgeries and in pain but i have to get back i have goals they will not do an mmi on me till i get a radiofrequency injection i have so much metal back there so hard tr reach the ares i have gret dctors , and i do kite exercise either walk in the pool or the stationary bike no weights or treadmill to bouncey..i have been outta work over a year going crazzy and it does get depressing and a seeing smeone for that the burning and the pain...i would never ever do this again so many risk factors,, when my left cage started shifting i freaked out so bad started getting depredded and then i starting seeing someone.. but very positive i will work again when ??? good question
  • Good luck to ya darlin, it is a lot to deal with. I think the hardest thing to deal with sometimes is the depression, the more depressed I am the worse I hurt. Another hard thing to do is learn how to do nothing without going absolutely crazy. Wishing you well and a better New Year.
  • I totaly know your pain and what you are talking about. The best advice I can give you is to do what ever it takes to get pain control until you are fused. And as soon as you have a solid fusion have them take your hardware out its crazy the pain hardware causes. Have they talked about doing a hardware block injection? This might help with some pain relief. Also I find great relief with a heating pad that is like a back brace I found it at Target. Its great cause the cord is long and you can make it tighter or looser I also use my tens unit under it alot. But I would strongly consider getting hardware out as soon as you fuse. I had mine out in March of this year and it was the best thing I did. I had 3 lower back fusion with tons of hardware. Have you seen the screws and rods they use for fusions i saved mine they are so big and the ends hold the rods so they do cause sever pain..

I hope you find some pain relief soon,
  • well i have been waiting for a radiofrequency injection there is to much metal back there 10 screws and the bottom ones r extra thick... the company has been sending and spending so much money on other docs to see if i need this i spent 2 days having a physic eval to see if i am crazyyy i guess i am not i suffer from persnality traits .. well wtf u have been through what i have i want to return to work and they are stopping me bacause they wont give me the injection yeah they have to knock me out cuz of all the metal back there rods screws cages and not to mention one of the cages shifted out 5mm who wouldnt be depressed...I went through 2 major back surgeries the 1st in 2006 and this one will be one yr the end of january and yes am fusing!!sooo tired of all these ime doctors and i want to go back to lite duty... sitting here all day is depressing i hit the pool 4 to 5 days a week walking only cannot stretch too much metal believe me i tried PT!!! it reall pisses me off i have worked since i was 14 ... and i wanna go back maybe i am crazyyy... but a physic eval my brain is fine it is my back!!!
This discussion has been closed.