Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to this forum. Wanted to say hello to everyone.

rmickhail2rrmickhail2 Posts: 21
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

Hello everyone my name is Rick and I have been reading this forum for the past month or so and have taken alot of information from it. So thanks thus far...

I am a 35 yr old male and I have Sciatica and I am faced with having surgery on January 7th 2010. I am a little nervous for obvious reasons. I just wanted to know if anyone has any suggestion on what I should do for the first three months post-op? I am the type who is always going and going and I see my near future just sitting around with some walkin added to the mix.

I know there is someone on here who can tell me what to expect for the first three months. Thanks for looking and a pre thank you for those of you who answer me.

Thanks Rick

• Hi Rick

Welcome to Spine Health. It would help if you gave us a bit more details about what sort of surgery you are having and why. The recovery for a microdiscectomy is quite different to that for spinal fusion.

I'm sure you'll find the answers you're looking for here
  • hi Rick,

Sorry to hear you need surgery.
    Yes, let us know more about your surgery and what level of the spine it's at. I think you'll get some good insight.

I had a microdiscectomy and the recovery wasn't too bad. As a matter of fact, I think I pushed myself too much b/c I really recovered from the 'incision' work quickly. Unfortunately, I have another herniation so am going in for a revision microdiscectomy L5-S1 in January.

Glad you decided to join to chat. I think I did what you did . . .lurked for a bit and finally joined to get some advice on my particular situation.
  • and best of luck with the surgery and happy st.stephens day
  • Okay its called a: posterior lumber fusion bylateral discectomy laminectomy fusion l4 l5. Thanks again everyone.
  • Hi Rick, and welcome! You will find this site a fabulous source of information and great people.
  • Hi Rick,
    Remember I speak here from my own experience. I am sure many others will post their own experiences for you as well. You must follow your doctors advice based on how your surgery goes and what has happened prior. A lot can depend on meds you are on, nerve damage etc.
    I too had a fusion L4 L5. After surgery keep this in mind. No bending No lifting No twisting. For the first month all I was allowed to do was walk. Did I mention No bending No lifting No twisting? Like you I had mine done in January so that was tough. (I think I wore a path in the floor of our hallway.) After the first month I was allowed to swim. That was great. I spent the next few months swimming swimming swimming and walking walking walking.
    It took a while to train everyone in the house to leave things I would need at waist heigth but enough screaming from me and they caught on pretty quick. Start thinking now about where you will place the shampoo in the shower, the milk in the fridge, a pair of shoes you can slip right on your feet, a counter you can leave the remote on... You get the point. Oh and did I mention no bending, no twisting and no lifting? Seriously, good luck and keep us posted!
  • Welcome to Spine-Health.

I'm having TLIF L4/5 surgery on Jan. 6 so I'm only one day ahead of you. When we get home, we can keep up on each other's recovery and compare notes.

From experience after my ACDF surgery, try to find some things to keep your mind busy while you're laid up. For me, I have a Netflix account so I can catch up on movies, I have a Nintendo DS with lot of games and I'm already planning on recording some TV shows so that I have them when I'm awake. Although I'm an avid reader, after my ACDF surgery I had a hard time concentrating enough to read very much.

My hubby bought me a laptop for this surgery so I won't have to go upstairs to check in on Spine-Health or surf the net.

Take care, Rick. We'll do just fine!
  • Cath and Rick-I am anterior/posterior lumbar fusion L4/L5,with hardware removal on L3/4 on Dec. 31-----so we can get through this together!