Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

so how long does the lump

yasminayyasmina Posts: 166
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
in your throat last? I am 4 weeks out on Mon. and every time I eat I feel lik I have a huge lump in my throat. It's not painful, and has nothing to do (I think) with the incision site.

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I only had a slight lump sensation and that was gone by week two post-op. Perhaps it's scar tissue forming? If so maybe trying to manipulate the area if your doctor is okay with that (such as light incision massage).
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • It took me a couple weeks to get over most of the lump sensation. Mine wasn't really bad to begin with, though, it just mostly restricted me taking multiple pills at a time. I was able to eat normally (if I could stay awake long enough, that is), and take pills 1 at a time, right after surgery.
  • Like I said in the chat...my lump got worst after the accident but I've been rubbing Bio-oil on it 3 times a day. Its still super sore to touch but it helps. I started choking on my pills again but then again...the vicoden 7.5 is a horse pill!

give it some time. It does pass. Its just annoying as heck while its there. I remember the 2nd week after my surgery I had a lump on the right side of my throat that looked like a crooked frog throat (try and picture that). My doc said it will go down as the area's swelling goes down. I still don'thave my singing voice back and can only talk for about 45 minutes without feeling strain.

give it time...be patient...some of the hardest things you will hear this soon after your surgery. i know!!!!!! I'm glad to have "met" you. keep me posted on tomorrow's party and what the dr. says.

g'night. I'm hoping this vicoden (1.5 pills) and 10mg valium work. so far...90 minutes later...not the slightest bit sleepy.

I miss the great outdoors. sigh...
  • a liquid form of Lortab (hydrocodone). We give it to children after Tonsillectomies. Why don't you call your Dr. office Monday AM and get a Rx for it...that would be one less horse pill...it probably works faster as well...which can never hurt. That is an easy fix :-)
    The depression, though, just sucks doesn't it? My family had Christmas lunch today, so yesterday was a terrible day for me. Pain and isolation is a horrible combination, thats for sure.

• I'm referring to the lump you feel in your throat, not the lump around the incision. I can already feel that the incision lump is getting smaller.

But every time I eat something, I get a lump inside my throat.
  • Mine took several weeks to feel "normal" but I think by then I forgot what normal felt like. I still feel that lump when I walk or try to eat sometimes. My incision isn't what is swollen...it is the connective tissue beneath it that is, which is once again causing the lump feeling....feels like a golf ball stuck in your throat doesn't it?

That passes and is absolutely annoying. But if it is painful or stopping/inhibiting your eating you need to let your doctor know. That darn swelling from this procedure is a luuluu. The healing is really slow and it is easy to get annoyed with yourself or think that something's wrong. If you have a question post here (which you did) and call your doctor. I didn't do that at first. I'd post here but didn't call my doc because I thought he'd be "too busy, to concerned with other patients, would be annoyed". whatever the reason...I finally had enough pain to call and he's been a prince.

Let me know what your doc says and enjoy the party today.....but take it easy!
  • dehoyos13, I felt the same about calling the doc until I got his bill. It was astronomical! If they're going to charge us that much for that short of time (my surgery took less than an hour), they can certainly afford to answer questions and address concerns!
    Even with the one you are feeling deeper in your throat rubbing with something like bio-oil can help. If you can massage the area you may be able to break up any scar tissue adhesion that are forming. These adhesion are normal but sometimes turn up in a way that is uncomfortable.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • It smells so good but to rub it on is incredibly uncomfortable!!!! It hurts most after I shower and I think that's because I left my head to let the water wash the body wash off my throat.

I'll see the dr again January 6th. This lump has to pass. Went to cracker barrel with my husband and daughter...they ate their food so quickly. I barely finished mine. so sad... I love CB.

Later guys/gals!
  • What is bio oil and where can you buy it?
  • My dr suggested either that or Mederma to get rid of the scar. Mederma makes my skin break out...$22 for nothing. Bio-oil is meant to make scars less visible and break down. The good part is that it is soothing and scent is quite pleasant. It feels good and so encourages me to rub it (gently) onto the scar area...which kind of helps because that's where the lump in my throat is...not so much scar tissue but the positioning of the fusion and plate....and especially the swelling after the accident. You can get it at a Rite-Aid or Walgreens. If they don't have it, ask for it....its amazing. And it helps too 'cuz I smell pretty! ha ha.....

How's it going for you Karen? I've been thinking about you. Yesterday I had a lovely but super busy day out. How was the party? My husband took me to an outlet where we were meeting my daughter's best friend's parents to switch kids (ha ha). It was supposed to be a 4 or 5 hour outing. It turned into 12 hours...thanks to traffic!!!! Thank God for Vicoden!!!! ha ha...

How are you feeling today after your very busy weekend and holiday? I'm thinking of you...hope that makes you smile for a moment today! LOL
  • My doc told me the lump is actually my thyroid swelling... and that it is caused by him pushing it to the side during surgery. He noted that if I change position the lump goes away, and he's right. He also said it would take a few months to completely clear-up, but that if it didn't after a year to return and he'd shave any scar tissue that may bind to it.

My lump went away within the first 2 months... rarely bothers me now, and is more of a "click" than an irritating lump.

You can get Bio Oil at most major drug store chains. It's usually near body lotion display areas. I too broke out from mederma. Since Mederma is made wiht natural plant botanicals, and I have hay fever, it all made sense. So if you try Mederma for scar reduction try it on an area away from the incision first and leave it for 24 hrs.