Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

medication and getting depressed????

dehoyos13ddehoyos13 Posts: 290
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Depression and Coping
Hi all! I've spent the majority of my day surfing the net, watching old wonder woman reruns and in the chat room.

yet for the past few days I anm battling a sense of depression. My mind knows that this is not the case. My mind knows that this is medically induced....Vicoden 7.5 every 6 hours and 2 at bedtime plus Valium 10mg at bedtime. I can't go out since there's ice on the street here and I'M GOING CRAZY.

after 7 weeks I think even my family is tired of spending time with me in this room. My husband has been working 17 hours a day for the past week....furnace repair. I'm feeling hmmmm...I don't know. I thought I was adjusting to this restriction well but for the past few days....I'm not well adjusted. I slept most of Christmas day (thannks to the 2 vico's and valium) and today was the same.

do you all think this is a medicinal issue???? Ok...so I'm not happy that after 6 weeks fusion has not begun. Not happy that after getting hit in the head I have bruising at the surgery site and swelling at the throat incision. I wanto to go out....not even to shop...just go out!!!!! I'm scared. I mean...getting hit in the head was a freak accident and my doc then said 2 weeeks extreme rest. I don't know how much longer I can take it!

I've read my books. WAtching movies on Netflix. Can't think of anything else to do.

Any ideas?????? sigh...hey, this might be valium speaking but its just how I feel right now. I need to vent and there's no one to listen.

I hope you all have a good night. I'm gonna try something else.

• You may have a little cabin fever since you've been stuck in the house for so long. Hopefully you will get a break in the weather and the ice will melt so you can get out and walk around a little bit.

I hope you start to feel better soon.
  • Some where in the last 2 weeks I wrote a whole post about this, I did advise surgeon and pc, chgd the meds some and felt some what better. Now dealing with infection but that is a whole nother story. Please be sure to let your med staff know whats going on. It happens to lots of us.

Hugs and Feel Better,
  • Have you read through some of the threads on the "Depression and Coping" section of this forum? I think you'll find that what you are experiencing is pretty normal at some point after surgery and before you start feeling a bit better. I know that knowledge doesn't help you feel any better, but, perhaps at some level, it may help to know what you are experiencing is "normal" for this type of surgery.

Also, with any type of general anesthetic such as we have with a fusion, there are various horminal changes that can lead to a sense of depression and restlessness. It takes the body awhile to right itself after such a major surgery.

You were showing signs of boredom prior to the accident. Now knowing you have two more weeks of extreme rest, or however your surgeon put it, certainly didn't help your spirits.

Is there anything you've wanted to study but have never had the time for? Now might be a good time to tackle it. I started genealogy about five years ago when I began to have sciatic pain-- that is a seemingly endless activity that I would never have had time to explore if I were healthy. I don't know what your interests are, or how broad...but there must be things that interest you that you haven't gotten around to doing, learning or reading about. What about playing computer games, card games, board games, puzzles, stuff like that?

Saltzworks wrote about this same thing to another member a couple days ago. You might enjoy reading what she said: post # 11 http://www.spine-health.com/forum/back-surgery-and-neck-surgery/exercise-addict-here

Maybe instead of valium you would do better with an anti-depressant medication. Are you walking every day, several times each day, or does the doctor want you in bed?

The board is slow today. Probably tomorrow more people will have some exciting suggestions for you!!

Just try to keep things in perspective. You have some restrictions for a couple weeks. In the great scheme of things...that isn't very long. Before long you'll be able to do more, you'll start to feel better, and that will make things seem less interminable....Tomorrow is another day.

Take good care --

• I just wrote you on FB but I want to post here too : ) I really think the depression is being made a lot worse by being in the same room all day every day. I cannot tell you how much it has helped me to sit in the living room during the day and then sleeping in the bedroom at night. I feel like I am part of the world again or something. It's helped clear my mind sooo much.

You could also have a bit of post surgical depression which is very common, and I'm sure the medications you are on being downers are not helping the situation.

Can you try to go into another room at all? I know you are really scared of the steps but can you try going slowly, maybe with a family member or friend helping you? It might help you a lot just to get a change of scenery.

I really hope you feel better soon. Can you get a ride to a shopping mall, in the early hours before they open? I know the malls around here open a bit earlier and people walk and exercise in them. That may be a good idea because you won't have to worry about crowds or anyone bumping in to you.
  • Thanks to all of you and the well wishes!!!!

Gwennie...I do agree that I was starting to feel this way before the accident. I didn't realize it! ha ha...my own posts and I don't remember them! I'll read the link that you sent me right after this. Its weird because in my mind I know what it is...I can't get my emotions to line up with my mind. Emotions change...truth stays the same. Gotta focus on truth. I've been doing some studying, some reading. I'm preparing for a course I need to teach as soon as I can speak for more than 45 minutes without a sore throat. LOL....isn't this fun? (ok...there's just a bit of sarcasm there but just a bit).

Andrea...I haven't gotten to facebook yet today. I will in a moment. I think my husband has realized my dilemma. My daughter's friend has to go home today (Pennsylvania) and so we're meeting her parents half way. of all places at an outlet mall!!!! I don't know how much walking I'll be able to do after 90 minutes in the car but gosh...I'm willing to try. I hope the doesn't go against the docs request for extreme rest in these 2 weeks. I really only want to hit the bookstore and maybe to find a coat. Its kinda warm here today.

I'm missing life. 7 weeks of it have passed me by and I'm missingit! I can go downstairs to the living room for about 15 minutes at a time...no good chairs there for me. But not just that...my brother is here with me until Jan. 1 and he fights with my 15 year old son...its like 2 little kids. makes me crazy so I go back to my room. but hey...he does all the mopping in the house so I gotta take it, ya know? I'm hoping today is a better day. I'm going to stop taking the Valium and see if I'm still getting muscle spasms. If not...I'll deal with trying to sleep a different way. Seeing that this is a downer and I'm already locked down (haha)...I might try that.

I'm scared to overdo it today or to slip but it is rare to have my husband all to myself. It'll be nice...lunch together...him watching me cry together...ha ha.

I do realize that in the pattern of the great design these days are but few in number but gosh...sometimes that doesn't help. A lot of times it does but when it doesn't I turn to s-h. I think I offended my sister on FB when I wrote that I was lonely and she was with me all day watching season 1 of Wonder Woman. Because she doesn't understand that it isn't just people I miss...its life.

Thanks all. I'll post later. I'm so glad for my spiney friends and truthfully I had fun in the chat room. Though my daughter is like "mom????? you're in a chat room?" LOL.............
  • Hello all,
    I am new to this site. I wish I would have found this earlier. I have had a horrible time with depression and chronic pain. Plus not being able to work makes it worse. Since I'm 48, the chances of me being approved for disability are slim to none as I DON'T LOOK disabled, if you know what I mean. I had a cervical disc with fusion C6-C7 level in April 2006. I had horrible neck and thoracic pain that really was off and on for 10 yrs and in 2005 was unbearable. The surgeon told me I had a 50/50% chance of the pain going away if I did the surgery because I had been in pain for so long. Had a huge herniated disc so I took a chance and opted for the surgery. Well, the pain, didn't go away and as a medical biller, sitting at a computer was just not working. I was fired from my job in Dec 2006 and didn't work again until 2008. That didn't last long either as the pain prevents me from being able to sit or even stand for more then 15-20 min at a time. Not to mention my level of concentration is way off. I tried working 2 more times in early 2009 and only lasted 1 wk at one job and 1 month at the other. They let me go, I didn't quit, as I really wanted to try and feel like I was taking care of myself and my 13 yr old.
  • Hi Dehoyos,

Sounds like cabin fever mixed with a side order of depression. Maybe there could be a change in your meds. Maybe an anti-depressant for awhile, ask your Dr.

I know before my surgery I was already suffering from a severely limited quality of life, now with the post-surgery restrictions and nasty winter weather, well, its a recipe for misery (I must be hungry).

I wish I had some great suggestions for you. Just knowing others are experiencing these issues too can be a help. It WILL get better. And seriously....Wonder Woman?! You must have a campy sense of humor (I do too, ever watched "Swamp Thing"?). Too funny, because my kids are watching "Sky High" on disney channel, all about school for future super-heroes and the Principal is Linda Carter! Hope I gave you a little chuckle.

Feel better soon, please, and feel free to PM me anytime.
  • I think some of it is cabin fever. My husband took my out today to drop my daughter's friend back to her famil in PA. It took us about 90 minutes to get there...that was a lot of my neck but hey...what a pillow couldn't help, vicoden did. We did a bit of shopping at the outlet...I got a new book and we headed home with a quick stop for dinner with our daughter. The day was good...I'm exhausted and in pain.

I have Sky High. My son loves it! How is it that Linda Carter was gorgeous in the 70's and still is in Sky High? ha ha...hey when you're desperate...you watch what you can watch. Ha ha...Swamp thing! That used to be the 4:30 movie years ago when I was a kid. It was part of Creature Feature on ABC. LOL...

I'm scared to try anti-depressants. My sister is bi-polar. I know its crazy to think it could happen to me but I'm just leery of taking them. I might ask if I could cut my Valium down or use a different muscle relaxer. Might work. And I have to remember that emotions aren't truth. Emotions change...truth remains the same...so focus on truth. Easier said than done. I chose to take today to celebrate whatever I could find to celebrate because the depression was sooooo heavy. Even in my sleep I wanted to cry.

Who'd have though surgery could do this to a person????? thank you Lisa. It is good to have "met" people like you in this forum. Cyber met I guess. ha ha. Its just good to know that there are others that have been here and are maybe still in the same place I am but are finding ways to deal. Hopefully my new Nora roberts book keeps me distracted for a day. That's about how long it takes to read new books. I love to read.

good night....2 Vicodens and 1 Valium....I'm getting a pretty good buzz right now...time for bedtime!

I appreciate your response!