Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve medications

thenadetthenade Posts: 137
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am trying to decide what nerve medication I should ask my doctor for as I can no longer stand the nerve pain, burning, tingling(no numbness) 8 weeks after surgery. She has indicated that she would prescribe any one I wanted. I have looked up side effects on the net and obtained print outs from the local pharmacy re side effects. But I would really appreciate member's and reader's input as to what has worked or not worked for them. Also what side effects they had and if they went away. Thank you in advance.

• I've had no negative side effects from Lyrica. I started out with 75mg twice a day and now I take 150mg twice a day. My PM doctor says I'll probably be on it for 6 more months.

I also take Metanx along with it. It's not a pain medication, it's vitamin b & folic acid concentrated. Google it a bit and if you like what you read, I'd ask your doctor about it. I think it's helping me a ton. At first I couldn't stand on my right leg for more than like 5 seconds without horrible burning pain. Now I can stand on it for a good few minutes before it hurts. I am hoping it will continue to improve.
  • I don't think you will learn anything very useful from polling people to see what works for them. We are all so different. What works for one without side effects, doesn't work for someone else...or it works, but they can't deal with the side effects.

I can pass on what my surgeon told me. Lyrica is the newest of the "nerve pain" meds. It is the big brother to neurontin...meaning it works in a similar way, but it has been updated to have fewer side effects and the patient does not need to take as much of it for it to be effective. If your insurance will cover it, I would give it a try.

I personally do not get much relief from it or neurontin or the generic, gabapentin. But some people do. Sometimes you have to try both to see if one is better, has fewer side effects, etc.

Both medications have side effects. If you can stand the first couple weeks, most people adjust and are able to continue taking the med.

Have you had the nerve pain continually since prior to surgery?
  • I have taken both Lyrica and Neurontin and have had good results with both.

As Gwennie mentioned, people will sometimes encounter a few side effects during the first couple of weeks... but these generally taper off. The most bothersome one for me was blurred vision and swelling of my fingers. My son takes Neurontin and had some concentration problems at first.

Lyrica was what I was first prescribed and my PM doctor felt it was causing too much swelling in my fingers... so she switched me to Neurontin. The swelling in my fingers did reduce and the Neurontin has been working extremely well for my nerve pain.

Good luck to you,

• I have had nerve pain since April 2007 till I had my surgery on Oct 26 2009. It varied in intensity depending what my activity level was. I never had true numbness, at times an altered feeling in my leg, but always the nerve pain. Laying down would sometimes make it go away. On Oct 26 I had a tlif with pedicle screws, rods, peek cage and my own bone from the laminectomy etc. The surgeon did not use BMP. During the first 2 weeks I had surgical pain, but I don't think I had the nerve pain. It could have been hidden by the surgical pain and some of the limited meds I was taking. Of course there was the relief that I finally had the surgery and that can do a lot to your perception of pain. I was so happy it was over. During the first week I took small walks around the house, after that my husband would walk with me outside. As I got physically stronger I started walking by myself around week 3. But I noticed the nerve pain returning. I thought it maybe the way I walked, so I tried to modify that, did my few exercises but mainly keep walking as it is suppose to be the best thing for you. Now the pain is there all the time. It is also in my left leg but not as bad. I am at my wits end. The neuro said well it's early in the healing. But exactly the same type of pain in my right leg as before surgery and now the addition of left leg pain. I don't know. Any ideas??
  • to try the generics first - gabapentin, neurontin -- they are just one heck of a lot cheaper than Lyrica. They didn't work for me, but I had to get my surgeon to write a special letter to the insurance company so that I could get Lyrica without having to pay through the nose for it. It will depend on your metabolism, physiology, etc., what will work best for you, but I recommend you start with the one that will be easiest on your pocketbook.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • My doctor gave me a savings card for Lyrica, so I don't have to pay more than $25 for a prescription. If you are thining about Lyrica, ask for that savings card, it helps a lot.
  • I live in Canada and we have what they call an extended health plan through a private insurer that covers 80% of drug costs but not all are covered. I'll have to check and see if Lyrica is covered.
    I hope everyone has a better pain day today. I start the morning with the thought that it's not going to get to me but once it starts it's hard to keep that energy going.