Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

week and a half out of surgery

lumbarmonkeyllumbarmonkey Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey all,

Just wanted to post my experience for others to have in their consideration for surgery.
I had a TLIF of my L5-S1 to repair a Spondilolisthesis. Basically have had back trouble for years, this last year pain being so constant I decided to do more than ice and pain killers.
I tried the facet injections, first go round lastin 5 months with some good relief. The second go round didn't do so well. I found myself in a situation where I had some money saved, and my Medical deductible had been met, so after some agonizing consideration I decided to do the surgery. I did major research not only on what the problem was, but the different procedures, the surgeons who do them, and anything I could find about what my options were.
I took Pilates classes to get my self in the best shape prior to going in to surgery. Improving my flexibility, my strength.
Now I am into my second week post op. The first week was HELL! Not even a week out I tried to get off pain killers due to constipation, and found myself a sobbing mess, falling down the hole of "What have I done" "I've screwed myself up forever". After talking with a buddy who had gone through back surgery I decided to go back on the pain killers and just deal with the constipation.
PAIN KILLERS ARE THERE FOR A REASON!!! My God, they have changed my outlook! I force myself to get up and stay up beyond my time goal. I try to move around without overdoing it, this can be a fine line.
One of the best things I discovered is, if you have any "adult bed liners" laid down, to put a cotton sheet on top. My back was heating up so much just laying directly on the liner.
Also, I was/am having nerve pain issues caused by the swelling. Most anti inflammatories inhibit bone growth, but my Dr. prescribed CELEBREX and it has helped immensely! I'm not quite two weeks post op but doing so much better than that first week of hell!
Meet with the DR. on Wed for a followup. feel like I'm recovering great.
-lumbar monkey

• MIRALAX... I think that is the name.. Did wonders for me with the constipation problem due to the pain pills.. Great to hear you are doing well..
  • I am 4 weeks post op and doing great as well. I have found that Magnesium Citrate works wonders for constipation. I hope you get better and better every day =)
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    If you like them....prunes or prune juice work well. I am on a heavy dosage of narcotics (long acting and short acting) and a combination of prunes (I eat 4 twice a day) and cascara root (a natural laxative) has worked well for me.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I used prunes for the first week...7 weeks later, still on pain meds but I drink a whole lot of water and it seems to help. Not as regular as usual but nothing that will scare ya! What a topic! LOL

Pain meds are such a good thing, aren't they???? Its amazing! Percocet puts me to sleep but the doc gave me Vicoden. I feel like superwoman (maybe that should be bionic woman since I know have metal in my body) and so I do things. Of course....when the meds wear off...I'm the bionic woman before being bionic!!!! ha ha

I hope things continue to do well for you! You seem so well prepared beforehand. That's good. I had NO IDEA what to expect afterwards and am still trying to kick myself in the pants...ha ha but it'dhurt my neck if I tried. LOL