Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Dec 15th L4-L5 PLIF

RFLO1RRFLO1 Posts: 23
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everybody, hope everyone is doing well. I had a L4-L5 PLIF with cage and rods on the 15th. The nuero also said he cleaned up L5-S1 which had autofused. He said my nervers were all tangled up from my previous lamenectomies. The first week was pretty rough, but I made it through. My main problems before were buttock, groin, and leg pain. I also had a limp and drop foot on right leg. Well, I now appear to be getting drop foot on my left foot. I cannot lift my left foot of of the ground when trying to do a heel walk. I go back for followup on the 6th. I also still have hip and low back numbness/pain, and my legs ache very bad at night. I have given up the walker, and have a brace. I am using a cane so that I do not trip on my left foot when it drags. I know it takes time to completely heal, and hopefully this is the case. Good news is Dr said I had the hardest bones he had encountered in almost 30 years, almost wore him out. Thanks for letting me ramble, hope everyone is doing well.

• Hope that you heal well after your surgery. It is very early days and those nerves have got to calm down.
    Surgery is behind you and now it is time for healing. Look after yourself and do what the surgeon tells you.

Sounds like your body has had a pretty rough time, but it should now get better each day.

Did the surgeon say why he felt he needed to clean up the autofused L5-S1? (I have been told that my L4-L5 is likely to autofuse and wonder if this would be a problem.)

Keep us up to date with your healing, and hope that you have a Happy New Year.
  • my L4-L5-S1 PLIF was also on the 15th. I am having some right leg nerve pain and sometimes find it difficult to stand or walk at times, but I try to push through the pain and know that it is just healing nerve pain. I have not had any foot drop. I have been told to work up my walking to 2 miles a day over the next 6 weeks...I can hardly imagine walking outside down the driveway some days. It is so hard. I have broken away from the walker as well and wear my brace when I walk outside the house. I dont walk alone either for fear of falls. I hope you heal fast and know you arent alone. >:D<
  • That is fantastic news. Glad to hear things went well and that you are on the mend finally. Relax and enjoy the holidays and soon enough it will be time to buckle down and start your rehab.

Have a Happy New Year