Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sudden recurrance of bulging disc like pain- how to proceed?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Lower Back Pain
Last night my back grew increasingly uncomfortable 3-4 on a scale to 10. I went to bed in a moderate amount of pain about a 6. I took some pain medicine and went to bed. This morning the pain shot up to an 8.5. I feel just awful. I know I need to do something and do it soon, but I'm not sure where I should start.

First thing to consider, I am one week into wearing a snug compression garment for some upper body lipo. A heavy elastic band sits at the low back area. I thought to call my plastic surgeon when the office opens to ask if there could be any correlation between the elastic and the recurrance of pain. Perhaps that could prompt a garment switch and help solve the problem.

I've also considered calling my orthopedist for an appointment. I don't want to seem premature, but at the same time, I really hurt.

Again, I know I need to act, but am unsure of how to proceed. Any thoughts?

• I just spoke with my surgeon, and long story short, it sounds like I am going to have to talk with my orthopedist about my concern. I am mad at myself because I could have been better with my exercises. I feel like I brought this on myself. Now it just comes down to how long I wait to see the doctor. Thoughts?
  • It never hurts to go see your doc to get a fresh set of eyes on the problem. If your plastic surgeon is saying that there's no way the compression band could be causing issues, I still wouldn't jump to any conclusions. Are you running any fever at the moment? I have many friends who have gone through lipo and a few have wound up with nasty infections, especially on the more extensive procedures. Also depending on where the clinic or hospital was that you went to. With a name like Izumi, are you from Japan?

Can you get into see your general practitioner and at least get evaluated?

Welcome to Spine Health.

• Hi "C"

Thankfully I'm fever free and recovering well from the lipo, I'm just in pain. I have an appointment with my orthopedist for next week. I figure that tommorow if I'm still feeling this bad that I will request to get checked. Your idea about the primary care physician check is a good one. That would be a good alternative in case my regular doc (and all other group doctors) are unavailable to check me over.

P.S. Izumi was a name inspired by my lipo support garments, though my last name actually does have a strong Japanese sound to it :)
This discussion has been closed.