Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

has anyone figured out ?????

dehoyos13ddehoyos13 Posts: 290
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
:/ #o

Post ACDF c4-6...7 weeks. Has anyone figured out how to stretch in the morning without making your head feel like its gonna fall off????? Doggone...sneezing is getting ok...coughing, not so much...hiccups which I rarely get are becoming a daily thing but are more achy than painful.
stretching however.....yowza! not sure if I just forget when I wake up that I'm not supposed to put pressure on my neck but everything is so tight and needs some stretching. Everyday its the same thing ...or at least just about everyday....

My hips hurt from lack of exercises...yes...tripping down the stairs is a major issue for me. 13 steps from living room to bedrooms. I'd pull my hair out but it looks bad enough already. haha

but really, has anyone figured out this morning stretching thing????? It would really save me some vicoden every morning.

• i feel much better when i simply wipe down the counters of the kitchen. for some reason the movement of my arms over and over loosens up my neck. i go back and forth to front and to sides with both hands

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Did you go to PT before the surgery? I went to PT for my back and neck and they gave me a sheet of simple neck range of motion exercises that do give a bit of relief when I use them. If your doctor agrees maybe even 1-2 sessions of PT for basic neck movement coaching might help.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • more like 18 months. didn't help. I won't start PT for another 7 weeks at least. I just forget in the morning when I wake up not to stretch over my head! yesterday I did the stretching and my water bottle fell off the headboard and hit me in the head! Talk about a wake up call!
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    What I do is:

Side to side: Looking to the right and the left 10 times each way

Tilt side to side: Like the movement you do when you'd hold a phone between ear and shoulder) 10x each side. {As a side note I no longer let myself hold a phone this way but it was the best way to describe the movement}

Back and forth: Like nodding the head forward and then moving to look up a the ceiling 10x each way.

Shoulder shrugs about 10 times to release pressure and tension

For all of these I do them as gentle movements only. After surgery I'd suggest you only do them slightly and slowly never straining to go any one direction.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I recommend having your heating pad ready to turn on next to your bed. Warm up those muscles and then do a bit of stretching. But most of all, first and foremost, check with your doctor that it is okay for you to be stretching your neck at this time.

• You know....its not so much the stretching that I'd like to do. Its the stretching that happens as soon as the alarm goes off and its time to wake up. I'm not allowed to do exercise yet. Darn..I can't even clean my house! ha ha....I'm not complaining.....been doing it all my life, and will be doing it for the rest of my life. I call this my season of leisure.

but that first morning full body stretch while I'm still in bed......darn that's a butt kicker!

any ideas?

Oh...and may 2010 bring us better healing and less pain!
  • Try doing it one body part at a time. Start at your toes and wiggle and stretch. Then move up to each part of your body. By the time you get to your neck you might be able to do less since the rest of you should be pretty loose. You will also be focused on what you are doing and more awake. And get rid of the alarm clock. It's too much of a temptation to just reach over.

It's like the opposite of relaxation routine..

• This is good. I'll try that tomorrow. Ah...the alarm clock.....I wish I could be rid of it!!!!! ha!

Let us know how your procedure goes.