Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Unable to stand

JohnJJohn Posts: 964
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Chronic Pain
I thought my recent increase in pain was just the norm of the pain cycle and periodic flares inherent within that. Have been unable to stand just when I thought the worst was over. Not much fun, sleeping, eating and living here, its been 40 hours now rooted to this spot. Even with two canes unable to stand up and have been pacing effectively.

The BT meds seem to be less effective and where at one time may have impacted on my condition, now less effective and perhaps I need to see my GP once more.

Take care and keep smiling.

John 8>

• Hey John I'm sorry to hear you're having such a rough time,I'm keeping you in my thoughts and I know you will get through this.With your positive attitude that you always have you will get to feeling better soon I'm sure.keep us posted.Peace and Love and remember to keep smiling!! Mark
  • dear John, i am so sorry to read of this change in your condition.. :( i follow your posts and was sad to see you in more pain and immobile. please know i am thinking of you and hope this is just a very temporary situation. get your rest and take good care of yourself... all the best, your friend of the night!!! :D Jenny :)
  • I'm sorry to hear about this new development. It certainly sounds like you need to see your doctor. What's happening when you try and stand? Is it pain or pain and weakness?

Take care my friend. I'm hoping this is just a temporary setback.

• I'm sorry to hear you're not able to stand. I hope they do an MRI and find out what's going on. I wish you healing thoughts. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Dear John,

I am so sorry to hear about your increased pain and inability to stand.

I hope you were able to get in touch with your GP, in an attempt to get you feeling better and to find out what is causing this new development with you.

Please know you are in our thoughts and prayers.

You are such a wonderful source of support to all of us here at Spine-Health and we want to be of support to you, as well, during this difficult time.

We will look forward to hearing from you, when you are able to touch-base.

Sending many healing thoughts your way,

Tammy >:D<
  • Friends, Romans, anyone really,
    I know this is only a temporary flare and my Mri days are over, we can all manage those lower numbers, I have endured longer episodes so know I will get through this one also. Any incline forward even when seated initiates unimaginable pain that even with the meds has not declined.

Even if I did know what had caused this I am still dealing with the symptoms and my family continue to be supportive and it has highlighted just how much I do achieve for others and myself. I know seated in one static position can be counter productive and trying my utmost to cope hour by hour. Immobility is one thing pain included at this level something else; hope you all have an improving time and thanks for all your supportive comments.

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    for your pain flair. And I hope that's' all it is. A flair that will subside in time.
    Standing is my worst enemy. If for any reason, I've stood too long, I will pay with pain! The longer I've broke the rule, the longer I will be in pain. For me it's inflammation. And Sitting in a zero gravity chair or laying down, to take the pressure off. And the use of ice, 20 min. on and 30 min. off. And anti inflammatories seem to speed the recovery time. For me a speedy recovery time is essential. Because if I'm inactive for to long, I have a whole new bag of misery. It's like, I have to move or freeze up!
    I don't know if any of that will work for you. But I hope something dose, soon!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Howie,
    I have upped the medication and that need to be at least mobile a constant concern, the longer I was immobile the longer the current condition, 10 more days the Doc said, its been a week already not good for going into work.

A friend hurt his back while on a recent trip to India and stood up all the way home he tells me. It is a bit easier today although that searing flash of pain at any forward incline is an unexpected reminder that all is not well.

Take care, if we sit and stand simultaneously we could rock the world.

That laughing, stops you from crying, that’s the theory anyway.

• John

Has your condition improved any? Let us know how you are.
  • You've been such an inspiration to many of us and supported us through our rough times and flare ups.

I'm so sorry to hear you are in so much pain. I only hope this is temporary and not a sign of something more serious. Rest as much as you can and keep taking your meds on schedule to stay on top of your pain as much as possible. I hope it's just a flare up and the pain shall pass soon.

Keep us posted and I will keep you in my prayers for a speedy recovery.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    It is a good theory, Isn't it?
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
This discussion has been closed.