Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal fusion question

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi there, new here...

Had a spinal fusion in july here are some pictures of it. don't know how far they went down
imagebefore xray
image after xray
image and in the hospital.

one quick question. is this normal? i'm waiting to get insurance since I just moved here, and don't know if i should get it checked out or wait til i get the insurance.

• how do you feel. thats a big fusion! what condition did they fix?
    what did the dr tell you when you last saw him?

• Kyphosis?

I can't answer your insurance question, but I hope you have a good recovery and are thrilled with your new back.
  • That's one major surgery you had there!!

No idea on the insurance question, sorry.

WOW! Still trying to take in that size of a surgery! How many hours did it take? wow.
  • That is one whole lotta fusion there! And I thought I was stiff. I hope you get relief from the pain you had. Your scar looks fairly normal - just extra long. I hope you're enjoying your new posture and hope your pain levels are less than they were.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I will never complain about my scar again.
  • Hahaha yeah I am pretty much am a stiff now. Yes its Kyphosis, my doctor just called it Shermans diesase when he told me what it was. Went from 88 degrees to 33 degrees, I was in surgery for 8 hours or so.

I meant does the bump looking thing in the last two pictures above my tattoo that is normal right? Last time I saw my doctor he said I looked great and I've probably healed the best he has ever seen. lol

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
  • I'm not sure on the bump - how long have you been out of surgery?

I do have to hand kudos to your doc - he even matched up the tattoo ;)
  • lol yeah i was pretty excited about that, he even took the bone graph from the left hip instead of the right so he didn't go over the tattoo.

i got it done in july so its been almost 6 months
  • Did you have insurance when you had the surgery? I'm a little confused to what bump you're referring to.. I don't think I see one? But it's late and my eyes may not be working properly.

Your doctor sounds totally awesome. SO nice of him to match up your tattoo like that... seriously, I've heard of doctors purposely not matching up peoples tattoos because they weren't fond of ink at all. How many levels did you get fused?
  • No i had insurance when I lived in Illinois with my soon to be ex husband, but we are getting divorced and I moved back to Iowa and I don't have insurance here .

Yeah my doctor didn't seem to fond of my tattoos but one of the first questions he asked me was...you got any tattoos on your back? hahaha.

I'll photoshop it where the bump is, I think it just a screw or something farther out than the others maybe?