Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Herniated Disk Surgery

mark210mmark210 Posts: 6
I am 33 and have 4 herniated disks causing leg and foot numbness. I have also lost strength in my left calf muscle.
Pain is not that severe, I am just worried about the tingling and strength loss. I am trying anti-inflammatory medicine now but spine doctor is leaning towards surgery.

Anyone out there had surgery and can say it has helped the numbness and loss of strength?

• I've had surgery earlier this year for a herniated disc. In my case it needed another epidural injection after to fully alleviate the numbness and leg pain. Unfotunately my discs are really bad and that surgery didn't help with the back pain.

Before getting the surgery I would definitely try an epidural injection of cortisone and PT. The surgery is a big deal and you would be out of work for 2 to 4 weeks.
  • But let me also preface it by saying most surgeons will not go down the surgery route unless they feel strongly about it.

My feeling in your case is to get multiple opinions at this point. Four herniations is nothing to take lightly.

There are people out there who when you look at their MRI they should be on the floor curled up in a ball in pain but when you ask them how they feel, they say no problems but others with a very small herniation in extreme pain. It all depends how it falls on that nerve.

• I also agree that it's a case by case basis. I had a microdiscectomy on dev 21 after only 3 wks of symptoms however my pain was very severe and neuru defecits in my leg quickly deteriorated. I did do 2 weeks of PT and oral and injected steroids but by the 3rd wk I could no longer get out of bed and MRI and surgeon pointed towards surgery. My relief and success was almost immediate. There is still some weakness and tingling depending on activity or position but with PT I'm sure it will get back to normal. In some cases PT and pain management and time cures and some cases surgery is the best option and many factors play into the decision. My best advice: do a lot of research. Talk to your docs and discuss all options. My neurosurgeon came highly recommended by my PT and pain doc and I did my own research on him as well and am positive I made the best decision. Hang in there, good luck!
  • In the more and more people I speak with it seems as soon as you "can no longer get out of bed" they go forward with the surgery.

All the stories seem to go this way...in some ways you were lucky it happen all quite quickly. Meaning less time the nerve is being compressed.

• Hi, I had 2 herniated discs L4-5,L5-S1, I decided to have surgery a microdisc surgery cause I couldn't handle the pain anymore and I had weakness and my leg was numb, so I had the surgery 6 weeks ago but now I have the same pain back in my rt leg and also I have either a spinal seroma or a dura leak I will have a mylegram in two days to figure out which one it is.Im pretty upset about this Im only 38 and this is my first back surgery, anyone have the same issues or suggestions

• I had muscle weakness, tingling, numbness, and severe pain that could not be controlled by pain meds. and epidural injections.

After the surgeries and almost 4 months of physical therapy and time, I feel much better. Currently, I take 2 ibuprofens a day for pain.

While I am not completely pain free, the surgeries gave me my life back. The months of constant, excruciating pain helped me make my decision to have the surgeries.

I have regained muscle strength (my doctor says 100%) and no longer feel numbness.

• I had discetomy surgery on a ruptured disc and a bulging disc October 2008. I am in worse pain now then what it was before surgery. My surgery was done because I had muscle weakness in my left leg. I still have weakness and have lost more muscle in that leg since the surgery. I have tried every possible injection, and therapy. If I had to do it all over again, I don't think I would have had the surgery. But maybe I wouldn't have any leg use if I had not had the surgery. I am very wary of any more surgery. I do think the nerve was already damaged before the surgery and nothing will bring it back.