Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need Help please

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Lower Back Pain
I can't afford to go to the doctor anymore.. But i was wondering if you guys might be able to tell me what I did.
Several months ago i hurt my lower back dead lifting the gym with improper form.

I couldn't lift for 3 weeks, although I did go to a chiropractor and physical therapist at the time. I was good as new or so i thought. Although, truth be told i could have told you that I didn't fully heal.

Well I was trying to squat Sunday with a friend. And he was watching me to make sure that my form was good. Although, on my last squat before max I felt a twinge in my back. In the same place that I had before.

Now this twinge is between L1 - L5 as far as I can tell. And it feels like electricity or a knife, is shooting horizontally through my back. And i can't lift my legs above parallel with out the eletric feeling shooting through my lower back. The only thing is that i only feel it when i try to bend forward.

I don't feel anything in my leg, feet or toes.

• Sorry to not be clear, I don't feel any pain in my Legs, feet or toes.
  • Not sure anyone can diagnose you over the internet.
    The good news is you don't have pain or numbness in your legs and this is in your back.

I don't know what you did but you definitely need to rethink lifting. My husband hurt himself years ago lifting and the doctor told him he had to revise what he was doing otherwise he'd be in trouble. He still lifts but much less just to keep in shape.

Have you tried an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofin (advil or motrin)? Ice?

I wish I had more to offer.
  • No one can diagnose you over the internet, but what you are describing sounds like classic muscle strain or herniated disc. The leg lift in particular, one of the first things a doc does is have you lay flat on your back and raise your legs. The doc should be able to lift your leg without discomfort to you, the pain in your back while doing this isn't good. Good luck to you. Oh BTW stop lifting for a long while, it takes a long time for your back muscles to heal.
  • If you're unable to afford a Dr. visit do go to an ER where they could do x-rays and other tests for you. I don't live in the USA where they charge for a Doctor visit but think there's University hospitals and free clinics available to go to. Best wishes to you finding the right diagnosis. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I agree with all of the advice above. You need to have your back checked by a doctor. No lifting of any kind for a while. Apply ice or heat. Walking is good. Pool therapy is great too if you can get to a pool. Wrap one of those long foam tubes under your arms and hang in the deep end of the pool for traction. Gentle back stretches are good as well especially hamstring stretches. There are good articles on here about back exercises.

Best wishes,

• You may well have torn your gluteal fascia where it joins the pelvic rim. The resulting knot ensnares a superior cluneal nerve- I reckon this accounts for 85% of my LBP patients- chronics included. Good news is that it is easy to fix. If you have one you should feel an acutely tender spot as you palpate along the pelvic rim on either side- like a deep bruise or stabbing pain.
This discussion has been closed.