Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Facet Joint Block after ACDF

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Has anyone been recommended to receive cervical facet joint block injection after ACDF? I am four months (surgery on 8/31/09) out from my procedure - 2 level ACDF C5-C7 with plate. I have had some very good weeks with very little pain but every time I start into PT or handle my 6 month for a period of time,I get a terrible flare-up in my traps that then tighten my scalens and the muscles around my occipitals. Also I am now having swelling in the back of my neck at the C7 junction from my posture changing when my traps go into spasm, I had 2 cervical facet blocks before surgery that did not work, but my Doc continues to be persistent and assure me this is a new phenomenon as my neck and shoulder muscles are struggling to adjust to the new dynamics of my neck. I am a very muscular guy who used to train with weights vigorously and played high contact sports.

Brief history: 35 year old male, former body builder, 225 pounds at 5'9", played football, basketball. Lower back Artificial Disc L5 - 2004. Doing great with that, absolutely no issues anymore in lower back. Neck went bad in February 2009 all of a sudden, after six months of every conservative treatment under the sun, cervical fusion seemed to be the only option left.

Thanks in advance if anyone has good information about cervical facet block injections post surgery.

Best Regards,

• Welcome to Spine Health Jon.

I don't have any information on the "post" cervical stuff yet. I have alot of muscle spasm pain from my neck and I am sure after the fusion the PT is going to see me a lot

Do you have good insurance and are you working with a pain doctor or a surgeon?

Have you tried any massage? I had some myofacial release that was pretty good not too long ago.

Good luck,

• Hi Julie,

Thanks for response. Yes I am very fortunate that I have good insurance as my neck surgery was covered in full. I also have an excellent neurosurgeon and place to go to - The Spine Institute EDITED, CA. My Drs. are EDITED. I have been at this clinic for six years when I had successful lower back artifical disc replacement in 2004.

So, I am not so concerned about costs of things, just their efficacy and the time required to get my neck healthy again. Not a fun way to spend New Years on Spine-health message board, but it is what it is.

I wish you well in your recovery, please let me know what your plan of attack is. Interesting it seems a pattern for people that have lower back pain, to have neck pain later or vice versa.

Standards agreement and posting rules.
    Naming specific institution or doctor names is not permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.
    Edited by Authority Member Cath111.