Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 weeks postop for c5 c6 discectomy and fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
(|: ~X(
Just was wanting some advice on my situation. Had my acdf 2 weeks ago. Before surgery I had intense left shoulder and neck and arm pain. Dr. thought it was due to stress as my youngest child has brain cancer, although it is stable. it's still hard. Tried all kinds of meds, tried pain management with epidural block and steroid injections, which did nothing at all ~X( So decided to have surgery. Felt wonderful the first couple of days. Now I have been hit with Severe depression, neck stiffness and tightness,extreme headaches, and balance issues. I am now using a walker, a cane wasn't doing it. I have insomnia as well, sleep about 2 hours if I'm lucky. (|: NS wanted an mri of cervical spine, and ct of brain. Here are the results, I am not making any sense out of them, other than ct scan read normal study. Please help me with some personal advise on what this means, if anything.

MRI Results

Result Impression IMPRESSION:
1. Postoperative change at C5-C6.
2. No evidence of epidural hematoma or abnormal cord signal.

Result Narrative STUDY: Cervical spine MRI without contrast while 31 2009.

INDICATION: Recent surgery. Difficulty walking. Pain.

TECHNIQUE: T1 and T2-weighted images were obtained from cervical

FINDINGS: Post operative changes seen at C5 and C6.

No abnormal cord signal is seen. I do not see a significant spinal
stenosis. I do not identify an epidural hematoma.

At C2-C3 no spinal stenosis or neuroforamina narrowing is identified.

At C3-C4 mild disc protrusion is noted but no significant spinal
stenosis or neuroforaminal changes.

At C4-C5 there is mild disc protrusion to the right of midline but no
significant spinal stenosis or dural sac deformity is seen.

Through the levels of the surgery I do not identify spinal stenosis
or neuroforaminal changes.

At C7-T1 no spinal stenosis or neuroforaminal changes are noted.

At T1-T2 no spinal stenosis or neuroforaminal changes are seen.
Thank you in advance for any suggestions :?

• its only two weeks into your recovery. ask dr if swelling could be causing discomfort. also ask if he can recommend a drug to help you out. a short coarse of steroids is sometimes utilized.
    meanwhile welcome to a great site. we are all like you. in pain and looking for support so hang around for awhile

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Welcome to Spine Health.
    I'm sorry you're having so many problems. Stress could very well be contributing to your symptoms. I think the depression feelings a couple of weeks post op are fairly common. I'm sure there are many here who had a similar surgery and will be happy to give you advice based on their experiences.
    Just remember it takes a long time to fully recover from such a serious surgery. Take care of yourself and good luck. I hope you feel better real soon.

• Can you call your dr. and talk to him about the depression?

It's important to treat it and not just let it go.

Your body has been through major trauma. And I completely believe that anesthesia does things to us that makes us not ourselves for MONTHS post-op.

My home nurse told me to take Melatonin (OTC supplement) for the first 3 months post-op at the very least. She really wanted me on anti-depressents if possible. And I did not feel like I was depressed at all at the time.

I took her advice and took melatonin ea. night at bedtime. It helped me sleep and it improved my moods. It did not get rid of all the mood swings, but I'm sure they would have been much worse if I'd had less sleep at night and if I'd not had the melatonin.

Call you dr. -you really should not feel like it's a bad thing. It's prefectly natural and probably very treatable.
  • I talked to my NS about my insomnia and depression and was told that he is a neurosurgeon, not a pcp. Asked me not to bother him with these problems, even though I had none of this before surgery. My pcp won't give me anything until he talks to NS, so just get to keep on suffering.
  • What an unfeeling NS!!! So are you going through your PCP? Sounds like you are stuck in a Catch-22.

At the very least you might consider that Melatonin. I made sure I've got mine all ready for after I get home from surgery this next week.
  • Your NS is really insensitive! Recovery is a difficult time during normal circumstances, which your's are not. It is normal to have those problems post surgery, which your NS should have told you. Depression, lack of sleep, muscle spasms, tightness...all of these are normal post ACDF. I did enough crying over it until I found spine health and learned all this great stuff. My Ortho is great but there are always questions.

On top of that, you're dealing with the illness of your youngest. Can I spit on your NS???? just kidding...a bit of humor there to help I hope. You have a family here. WE gripe, whine, cry, laugh, joke and everything a neckie/spiney family needs. I'm almost 2 months post ACDF and there are days of depression...major surgery, ya know. My sleep is erratic...depends on how much pain on any day, plus all the things on my mind. That being the case....we're in this together...all of us.

Keep us posted on your recovery and your youngest. We are family and we do care.
  • I had the Prestige Disk c5 c6 replacement it is not yet approved here in the US it is an experiment I urge anyone who read this and is thinking of getting a fussion to ask about the disk replacement I was driving my car two days later and able to use at least 90% of my necks range ??? my doctor had never before performed this and couldnt believe it when I stopped in two days leater he had his colleagues come out to show them how well my neck range was only 2 days later ??? I did of course still have sum horrable pain on and off here and there and sum headaches but everyone I have talked to that had a fusion has had at least 3 or 4 times the recovery time I had this procedure from an injury and also have degenerative disk disease so a fusion would have been pointlesss and this averted a multi level fusion
  • granny31 said:
    I talked to my NS about my insomnia and depression and was told that he is a neurosurgeon, not a pcp. Asked me not to bother him with these problems, even though I had none of this before surgery. My pcp won't give me anything until he talks to NS, so just get to keep on suffering.

First off, Welcome to Spine Health!!! Lots of great and supportive people here!!

This is so sad to hear. What a *&^%^& he is! My NS is a NS too, but he is (and so far continues to be) approachable, and is helpful at all stages. To see him say that to you, to (me) is incredulous! As for the pain doc, I can understand that to a degree, but he *could* at least offer to reach out to your surgeon to get you some help? So sorry again to hear this. I hope you are feeling better. Take care.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.