Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Woke up and can't bend

charryccharry Posts: 5,652
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:40 AM in Lower Back Pain
I woke up just now and I can't bend over. I can't take the stairs and I can barely sit without terrible pain. I just took meds and flexeril hoping it's just a muscle spasm. I don't know if I should go to the ER. I think I'll just go lay down. Happy New Years. Charry
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
advertisement

Comments

• I am so sorry, sending thoughts and prayers your way. :(
  • what a way to start the new year. things can only get better!!!

joan
  • I've been icing and applying heat also to get this kink out. I have to get neck and thoracic x-rays done. I will ask my Dr. to add lumber to see what's up. It's always nice to have support here. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi Charry,

How are you feeling?

From what you are describing, this pain sounds very similar to something I had happen around this time last year. I was still in my brace and I did wind up at the ER, due to the terrible pain. Because my injury and surgery was still fresh, my surgeon kept me in the hospital for 3 days for observation and pain control. It wound up being a pulled muscle and I tell you... that puppy hurt so bad.

I hope the ice and heat helps to ease the pain. If the pain doesn't let up, a trip to the ER would probably get you a set of full X-rays of your spine and extra pain control.

Please keep us posted. I will be saying prayers for you.

Tammy
  • Oh no, charry......hope it's just a muscle spasm and the pain lets up some. If not, head to the ER.

Did you try hot shower? If it is muscle, the hot water may help loosen the spasm or try moist heat.

So sorry sweetie -- no way to start the new year but I feel sure it's just a fluke thing -- at least, I hope so.

Sending you some New Year's O:) O:) O:) to watch over you while you're feeling puny.

Take care and update the gang on your condition.

Judy
  • Hmmm... I reckon you have torn your gluteal fascia when you lifted or twisted the previous day. Often there is no pain at the time but as you lie still in bed, the membrane must crimp up to heal itself. In the process it ensnares a passing nerve into the tangle. These knots must form and only after 5 days minimum will they begin to tease out again in the following weeks. Everytime you move the ensnared nerve is tugged and a sharp pain occurs. You will no enjoy being still as then the knot gels firmly around the nerve. Keep moving and locate the knot which will lie over your iliac crest rims as a tender penny sized spot. Very, very common- probably accounting for 85% of back injuries. The back muscles are postural and actually quite difficult to tear- hence in 9 years of treating hundreds of backs I have only witnessed 2 bruises! Think fascia. When bearable get someone to begin massaging the pain spot to decrimp the knot.

The information provided by members of Spine-Health should never be considered as formal medical advice. It is recommendations based on member's personal experiences only. This can vary from person to person, so do not take comments as medical rules. Edited by moderator Paulgla
  • You're right I feel a knot over my right glute at the iliac crest diagonally and it's a moving lump!. I just healed from a L5-S1 herniated disc but I have mild DDD. But so painful I can barely move or work. Thanks. Charry
  • If it is a moving lump it is probably a lipoma otherwise known as a back mouse- really just a harmless fatty lump but the knot may lie almost over it or beside it. The actual knot is only the size of a grain of rice but sends out pain like ripples on a pond. Chronic sufferers have accumulated several to the extent that the gluteal fascia becomes almost rippled along the crest margin. The tender spots need a hard thumb or elbow massage despite the knifing pain this causes, for about a minute over each site. Very little technique to it and I often say I could teach a 6 year old. Repeat once weekly and the tenderness will resolve over a matter of weeks. I sometimes have my patients in tears and the odd whopper bruise appears but perhaps this is a blessing as it signifies tissue that is being broken down. By the way don't worry about DDD- it is pretty meaningless and seldom even causes pain. This condition is far more prevalent but does not show on MRI.

The information provided by members of Spine-Health should never be considered as formal medical advice. It is recommendations based on member's personal experiences only. This can vary from person to person, so do not take comments as medical rules. Edited by moderator Paulgla
  • hope you are doing better and able to feel a bit more comfortable. Hunch-back's post I can relate to and the issue you are trying to cope with. The elbow massage/torture works very well, have been having it and also massaging the spots I can reach myself for a shoulder issue. P/T has been teaching me various exercises to stop tendons tying themselves up in knots,massage the "lump" for about a minute, makes the eyes water and over time it does seem to help. Just what seems to help me, hope it helps you too.You are such a wonderful support to many people on this site and you sure don't deserve another downer to start the New Year. Big gentle Hugs n' Loves - Paula
  • charry, i am sorry to read you were having extra pain problems. :( i hope you are feeling better by now!! take good care of yourself. >:D< take your meds and get your rest!! :D Jenny :)
  • I just put heat on and did some abcircle exercise to work it out after resting a bit. Not back to normal but that sharp pain isn't bothering me now. Thanks for your support. It may just be a lipoma as I've had them before in other places. Charry
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.