Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Facet Joint Block Injections After 2-level ACDF surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Has anyone been recommended to receive cervical facet joint block injection after ACDF? I am four months (surgery on 8/31/09) out from my procedure - 2 level ACDF C5-C7 with plate. I have had some very good weeks with very little pain but every time I start into PT or handle my 6 month old for a period of time,I get a terrible flare-up in my traps that then tighten my scalens and the muscles around my occipitals. Also I am now having swelling in the back of my neck at the C7 junction from my posture changing when my traps go into spasm, I had 2 cervical facet blocks before surgery that did not work, but my Doc continues to be persistent and assure me this is a new phenomenon as my neck and shoulder muscles are struggling to adjust to the new dynamics of my neck. I am a very muscular guy who used to train with weights vigorously and played high contact sports.

Brief history: 35 year old male, former body builder, 225 pounds at 5'9", played football, basketball. Lower back Artificial Disc L5 - 2004. Doing great with that, absolutely no issues anymore in lower back. Neck went bad in February 2009 all of a sudden, after six months of every conservative treatment under the sun, cervical fusion seemed to be the only option left.

Thanks in advance if anyone has good information about cervical facet block injections post surgery.

Best Regards,

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Injections after ACDF, and other spine surgeries, are not uncommon. I had an injection after my posterior cervical foraminotomy to help calm down the nerve and it worked. Facet injections are relatively painless overall and if it can help it will be worth it. Your spine biomechanics does change significantly after any fusion. So the facet injection might get the specified are to stop hurting while the body adjusts.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • You have uplifted my spirits with the information you gave me. I have had a rough holiday trying to be positive around my family, friends and loving my little baby girl. What you are saying is exactly what my Dr. said. My Dr. is great, but hearing from other people who have experienced this helps very much. Thank you again, I've gone back and read what you said a couple of time.