Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Another Newbie

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in New Member Introductions
This site seems to have tons of knowledge and experience to help make a crucial decision.

I am 36 yo male that used to be very active but now can't even play tag w the kids (5&8). Had a rollover MVA back in'98 (USAF) and had pain off and on. Now it did not go away. MRI now shows a herniated disc @ c5/c6 w 50% spinal cord compression w right arm radiculopathy. Took prednisone and worked great for a while but symptoms are returning.

1st,2nd,3rd opinions say I need ADR however ins won't pay but will gladly fuse upon request. My choices are between Prodisc C in the US or Spinal Kinetics M6 in Spain. Looking for specific articles, personal exp, etc not company advertising to make choice. Any info would be great!! I am also a member of the ADRsupport group.

• Just wanted to share my experience. I had C5/6 fusion 1/08. Did go through problems with nerve pain afterwards for about 2 months. But my fusion has been very successful and there are days I forget it was done. I have to be mindful of not overdoing certain activities that involve bending my head forward too long. My range of motion is limited minimally when turning my head backing up my car.

Best wishes,

• I am just over 3 months post op from a redo disectomy decompression surgery of L4L5 surgery was Oct 1 2009, first disectomy (same disc) July 2007.
    The first time went well with immediate and total relief of sciatica in my left leg, was active almost immidiately and within 4 months back to training as an age group triathelete.Re- herniated again July 2009 resulting in worse left leg pain MRI showed same type bulging but worse! Tried epidural twice pain got worse and finally so bad that I couldn't walk..... Had surgery again Oct 1,surgeon removed all remaining center of disc.
    After surgery sciatica was pretty well gone, my days as a triathalete are over but swimming is still an option for me, wich I am doing now.
    I am doing PT exercises and now swimming for15 minutes per day including a 2 mile walk.
    I have lately been experiencing some small leg pain in buttock
    area down to just above the knee, however is relieved with stretching exercise.
    And is never felt when lying down,I'm wondering if this is just my nerve still healing or could it be some scar tissue that has formed?
  • You would be better making your post a new thread instead of "hijacking" someone else's as they call it.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i cannot offer you any specific advice but i am sure you will find lots here on the site. :D be sure and get all your questions answered before you make your crucial decision. :D good luck and i wish you a quick and complete recovery. =D> Jenny :)
  • I'm glad you came to this site. You should find a lot of info on ADR's as well as personal experiences with those who've had ADR.

I was supposed to have ADR L5/S1, however I had the same issue as you. My insurance would not approve it but did approve the fusion so I went ahead with the fusion. I didn't have the money to pay for ADR myself. I do often wonder if I would've been better off with ADR but not sure what the long term affects are.

There are a lot of supportive members on here who have some great advice. I hope you find this site helpful.
  • Hey Neckman 5000,

Let me share my personal story briefly with you. I had ADR in 2004 for my L4-S1. It took approx. 2 years before I felt good with it and only after addressing the soft tissue (my abs, glutes, hams, lower back)through trigger point therapy using a foam roller, yoga and theracane -Edited A great tool for breaking up muscle lesions or trigger points that are caused from over-training or trauma to back. So in 2006, my lower back stopped hurting and I was able to be pain free and doing everything I wanted to do.
    Then in Feb/2009, my neck went bad from probably years of abuse, genetics and heavy weightlifting. I went back to the same clinic I had my Lumbar ADR performed, but with new insurance, could not get my 2-level ADR approved. So I opted for fusion because 1) I did not want to wait, 2) who knows when my insurance would approved ADR if ever and 3) I think Obamacare is going to lower and/or eliminate many options for spinecare in the future.
    Incidentally, unless my Dr. is feeding me a line of Edited, said upon doiing my fusion, that that was actuall the better approach than ADR beacause my bone spurs were really bad and I needed more stability in my neck than ADR. ADR gives full range, fusion supports weakened structures.
    I am 35 years old, so not much difference between our ages. Based on my past experience with ADR, I would certainly recommend it unless what you need is more stability in your neck due to degeneration and arthritic changes (bone spurs). So, research the heck out of both procedures to determine best course.

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Authority Member haglandc