Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Atificial Disk replacment failed

daisy3555ddaisy3555 Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had artificial disk replacment at c5-6 on May 21 2009 and continued to have pain. After 3 or so months I decided to go to another Dr. who ordered at CT molygram which showed disk herniation at the same level. I was having alot of left arm pain that felt like pens and needles and heaviness in my neck and arm. Whithin 2 months they removed the artivical disk and did a fusion with cage. The surgeon said the artifical disk had fallen apart a was a very difficult surgery. He also asked if I had had difficutly swallowing because the artifical disk was too big for my neck. This was a very big part of my problem along with difficulty breathing. It has been 5 weeks now and my breathing is allot better but but arm pain still bad. Has anyone had this expierence? I feel like a loner.

• i hope that they can do something for you .you poor thing where did you have it done {i am in the uk} i may have to have ADR/fusion in the near future and storied like yours make me sit up and take notice .i cant advise you but i hope that something can be done and that you are getting enough pain killers
    take care
  • I had cervical fusion in 2008. Didn't have artificial discs as you did, sorry you went through all of that! I'm sure your nerves there are screaming and will take some time for them to settle down. I had nerve pain for about 2 months after. Are you taking anything for nerve pain? They put me on Lyrica for it and it helped a lot.

Best wishes,

• wow i'm so sorry that happened to you.I can't believe they put hardware in your neck that was too big.You'd think that the surgeon would have noticed that when he was operating.It will take some time for your pain to go away in your arm if it is due to nerves. Mine lasted about six months after my surgery and maybe a bit longer.Don't right it off yet!! They heal very slowly. I also had a disc replacement fusion,but i was lucky and haven't had any of those problems from the surgery.
  • Can anyone tell me if surgery can cause fibromyaligia? I hope it's just my nerves from having to neck surgeries within 6 months but I not sure if it could be fibromyaliagia because it comes and goes but only usually affects my left arm, face and neck?
  • Wow!

6 months. It has only been 5 weeks but the nerve pain is in my face too and my arm. It comes and goes but is really bad in the evening. I am on Lyrica but doesn't help too much. I only take 1 5Mg or 7.5 once a day because I don't want to get hooked. I take a Soma every once in a while but I hurt really bad at night. I also have to take an abieum to sleep. I hope it gets better soon. Thanks for your concern.
  • in june, i had c4-c5-c6, removed, the doctor made a cage and pins, the pain was so bad i thought it would never go away.

las week i had a m.r.i. that showed that nothing was done. went to the doctor, said it was a failed fusion and that i had to have another surgery. i also suffer with arm pain and pins and needles in my hand. can't turn my neck and pain is still there, but able to manage it.

has anyone had this problem
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,368
    Bal0219 - Welcome to our forum. Yes there is a number (small) of us that have had an initial fusion (multi-level) (or single) that have been declared "failed" (non-union) (pseudo-arthrosis).

The typical procedure is additional surgery(ies) to "correct" the failure(s) and achieve a good fusion.

There are other potential reasons for revision surgery such as hardware failure, rejection of implant material, bad placement, etc. There is also the potential of adjacent disk disease where the rigidity of the hardware and fusion causes another level to herniate.

In my case I had a combo of problems after my simple 3 level anterior.

That is how I got to where I am today. 4 level anterior plate, two removed vertabrae, cage placement, implant of hip bone, posterior rods X2, screws X12.

I wish I could say I am pain and symptom free now, but I am rapidly returning to my pre-first ACDF state.

At least I can still pee when I want, and standing up. Grateful for what I can do.

Good Luck and Surgery, We are here for support - Although we are NOT as strong as titanium!!

Spine-Health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)

• Hi,

I have had some of those problems. I had an artifical disk put in at C5-6 which failed. The pain was so bad in the back of my neck, down my left arm and in my hand. 6 months later, they removed the artifical disk and fused it with a cage. It has been 3 months now and I am somewhat better. Lyrica helps alot but now my primary care Dr. wants to wing me off of it. It has been hell. My whole body hurts. It feels like I may have fibromyalgia which can be caused from trama. If you have not tried Lyrica I suggest you ask about it because it help alot. Hang in there!!
  • Can you tell me what causes a failed fusion. It has been 3 months since my fusion and the Dr. says it is fusing but will take another 3 months. Originally he told me it would take 3 months for the complete fusion. Now he says 6. Im a little worried.