Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Pain Medications

Doctor put me on Neurontin in an attempt to relieve leg pain from a disc herniation and spondy at differnt levels in the lumbar region. I have heard there are serious side effects with neurontin. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with this drug.

• My experience with neurontin has been good. have found it helps with my pain. have taken it for several years, but as my pain has worsened, i don't find that increasing the dosage has done much good, but i can still tell a difference if i stop taking it. i take 600 mg am and 300 mg pm.
  • It helped my nerve pain in legs only a little bit and I was tired all the time. I would sleep 2-4 hrs after each dose. I was taking it 3x's per day. I hope you have a good experience with it as everyone responds different to medications.
  • Most people do not have serious side effects. At the beginning you may experience side effects that are more annoying...like Ming mentioned, being tired. It made me very sleepy if I was sitting still. If I got up and did something, I did not notice it.

Some people develop strange thinking and it has been nicknamed "morontin" but, again, the majority of people are not affected.

It actually has one of the lowest side effect profiles. Some of the other side effects are dizziness, cloudy thinking, fatigue and klutziness.

Neurontin's Not So Common Side Effect: Edema. I quit taking it for this reason. But this only happened at higher dosages.

All medications have the potential for serious side effects. In the case of gabapentin/Neurontin, I wouldn't be worried to try it and see how it works for you.
  • Neurontin never really helped me with my pain though I personally didnt have any bad side effects either. Just a little fatigue.

My husband was prescribed it for chronic severe chest pain to see if it would help and had horrible side effects. He became very disoriented with large blocks of missing time and then began passing out. Obviously he quit taking it due to these problems. However, he now takes a similar medication (Lyrica). He gets great pain relief from it but suffers from weight gain, swelling of the feet and legs and difficulty in memory but not nearly as bad as when on Neurontin. He tried to get off of Lyrica but the pain became so severe that we decided he was better off taking it.

Many people do well with Neurontin and have great relief with few side effects but there will be those like my husband who have bad experiences. Only you and your doctor can decide what may be right for you.
  • If you type Neurontin into the search box at the top of the page, you will find numerous threads dedicated to discussing Neurontin or the generic form Gabapentin. You may be able to garner a larger amount of information that way, rather than waiting around here as people slowly post their experience.

I personally have great success with Neurontin and have taken it for over 10 years. Minor sedation in the very beginning, but that's all.

Best of luck,

• I also tried lyrica after not having good luck with the neurontin (gabapentin). It didn't seem to help the nerve pain that much and I also gained weight on it. My doc has just increased my dose of cymbalta cuz not only does that help with depression but it's supposed to help with nerve pain as well. I now take 60mg in am and 30mg in evening. That seems to help a little better and I don't see any side affects. I was already takin 60mg cymbalta before she increased to the additional 30mgs.

As mentioned above, if you do a search for lyrica or neurontin or gabapentin you will see quite a few different discussions on this topic. I think I see this topic brought up at least once a week in a new thread.