Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

BonnieHKBBonnieHK Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Does anyone know anything about hydrodiscectomy? I found a well known Spinal Surgeon in the San Francisco area that will be doing one of my L2-L3 area of my spine. There is some information on the internet, but I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this type of discectomy for herniated discs and if so, what was the result. Pros/Cons... thank you. Bonnie

• While I've been on the board, I do not recall seeing any posts from anyone who had this procedure. It sounds very interesting. Please check back after your surgery and give us some information so we can all become more aware!

Good luck.
  • i just googled it and found instructions on using the equipment that is used to perform the procedure. there were so many warnings and cautions that it made me quite apprehensive. here is a link to the information.

http://www.hydrocision.com/hydro/products/MarComm/1000-1754.C.Perc HydroDiscectomy Surgical Technique.pdf

make sure you research this carefully. find out about their success rate vs. failure. find out about possible complications. also how many of these procedures has the dr performed? what kind of dr is the person doing the procedure.

if you decide to use it i hope all goes well

• It appears to be a new method of trimming a damaged disc, similar to what is done in an endoscopic procedure. Instead of a laser, it is apparently using water under high pressure. As with laser surgery, or any surgery, for that matter, the skill of the surgeon is even that much more important.

The results of the first major clinic trial have not yet been tabulated and reported.

But short-term results are considered "successful" by the surgeons performing them! Considering the surgery was not available prior to 2006, you can see that it is relatively new, especially in terms of any long-term result data.

"HydroDiscectomy uses a high-velocity water jet to quickly and safely decompress herniated discs, providing relief to patients suffering from chronic back and/or leg pain. The new HydroDiscectomy procedure is designed to bridge the gap between conservative therapy and invasive open surgery. HydroDiscectomy can offer an option to patients who have failed many conservative treatments and may lead to a significant reduction in their narcotic pain medication." (quoted from http://www.surgistrategies.com/hotnews/66h615142067080.html)

As with any new procedure, the accurate selection of the patient is the MOST important aspect to the success of the procedure.

• What would be the benefit of using water instead of a surgical instrument? I suppose one can "sterilize" water, but the whole idea makes me apprehensive. I don't know that cutting a piece of disc off with water could be all that more beneficial than using a nice sharp scalpel or a laser, but then -- I'm not a medical professional. I agree that you should find out how many of these procedures your doctor has done and how successful they were for his patients.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • DisneyHeadDDisneyHead Posts: 4
    edited 07/29/2012 - 4:56 PM
    In mid June. Had to go to ER last night. Two dilaudid shots did nothing. Ive had nothing but pain since my hydrodiscectomy. I would not recommend.
  • HelenGillisHHelenGillis Posts: 1
    edited 12/11/2012 - 6:38 AM
    Here is the link for HydroDiscectomy:
    There is lots of information on the site about the procedure, links to physicians, as well as patient and physician testimonials.

Link removed, solicitation not permitted
    Post Edited by The Spine-Health Moderator Team
    Helen Gillis