Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

upright mri machine

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:40 AM in Lower Back Pain
hi is there anyone on the site that has had a upright or sitting mri in australia?i live in western australia and need a sitting mri but our state don't have any.look forward to hearing from any one.regards dave
advertisement

Comments

• Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, there are currently no upright MRI machines located in Australia. My neurosurgeon mentioned at my last appointment that an upright MRI machine may be installed in Sydney this year, but he didn't have any details.

I also live in Western Australia (Perth) and require an upright MRI. Apparently FONAR (the manufacturer of upright MRIs) sold an upright MRI to a company in Australia over a year ago (I found the press release online). I emailed FONAR regarding the location of the new machine but I didn't receive a response.

Hopefully next time I see my neurosurgeon he'll have some further info for me.

I believe there are some upright MRI machines located in Asia if you have the finances to travel that far.

• thanks ruby. owl for your responce.If i hear of any i shall post on forum my surgeon has said the only other way was to half sit up in a ct machine but said i really need a upright one.Asia might be worth a look at but finances is the drawback.thanks a lot regards dave
  • Although you require an upright MRI, it probably wouldn't hurt to have a semi-sitting CT in the meantime just to see whether you can obtain a clearer image using that method. In my opinion it's definitely worth a try before opting for a trip to Asia for an upright MRI.

I'll let you know if i'm able to obtain any further information from my neurosurgeon.

If you don't mind me asking, who is your surgeon and is there a particular reason he's requested an upright MRI? Which level of your spine are you having difficulties with?

Hopefully there'll be an upright MRI machine in Australia soon. It's crazy that we should have to travel overseas for something as simple as an MRI.

Dani
  • thanks dani,i had a horse fall on my lower half and have a had frature hips ,knee and have been twisted out of alignment but since my accident i have had terrible pain sitting,i have had my coccxy removed by Edited but now i have sacrum pain when sitting,so hence need a upright mri to get a better picture of what going on, my coccxy was very twisted and mangled when removed but only showed slight damanage on a flat mri so i need to have pressure of sitting to show up more of whats causing the pain.yes it is crazy that we have to go overseas.thanks for your information it;s a great help.dave

Post edited by Authority Member haglandc name of medical professional removed
  • Hidani have received a message from the makers of upright mri machines and they have informed me that there are no machines in australia or asia but we should be getting one around the end of april,and to write back to them then for the location.So lets hope!!take care dave
  • Thanks for letting me know Dave, hopefully in a few months time we'll both be able to have our upright MRIs done. I imagine the machine will probably be located in the Eastern states; it would be too good to be true to have the machine located in Western Australia!

Dani

• This response is probably too late, however it may help someone.

There is an upright MRI in NSW at WESTERN IMAGING-30 Campbell St, BLACKTOWN and well worth the effort to get there especially when imaging of the spine in a 'loaded' condition (under gravity) is required. This machine is not rebateable by medicare and depending on what you have done the cost must be borne by yourself. A small price when considering your health.

Good Luck
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.