Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

neck pain after surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in New Member Introductions
I am new to this forum and I hope someone can offer me advice.

I am 41 y/o and herniated c-5 & 6 in a work accident 9/2008. I remained at work and was diagnosed with the herniation 10/2008. My surgeon continued to let me work until 3/2009 when my pain was getting worse and I began having my arms sleep at night. Repeat MRI showed disc ruptured and surgery was necessary.

I had surgery on July 31, 2009. I have done everything I am supposed to do and I still have pain, probably worse that ever. I have lots of inflamation in my neck and I get spasms and burning when I do certain things like cook, sit at a desk top computer, shop while carring anything, etc. I have a high pain tolerance level and this has changed my life. I still can't go back to work since I have a very physical demanding job.

I had a Myelogram in Dec and had to have a blood patch the next day. I saw my surgeon and he said fusion looks great and has no idea why I am having these symptoms. I will see him again this month. I feel like he thinks I am crazy, but I don't complain and I know something is wrong b/c I know my body. I am having pain in my thoracic spine now and I have awful headaches behind my eyes. When I was injured all of my X-rays, MRI's, etc were only of my neck. Could they be missing something lower?

If someone can offer advice please let me know because I am lost and I need help.

Waiting game is getting old.

• Welcome to Spine Health. Is it possible for you to get a second opinion? It is always possible that the surgeon isn't "looking in the right direction". Many surgeons get tunnel vision and sometimes when a patient asks for a second opinion, it not only helps the patient but doctor as well.

I agree, the waiting game is not my favorite thing!

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you stopped by!! :D please by patient till your diagnosis is complete. it can be a frustrating experience!! ~X( good luck with the next round of treatments.. hope you are feeling better soon!! :D Jenny :)
  • Welcome to Spine-Health.

Being a neckie myself, I know there are certain aches and pains that are pretty normal after an ACDF, such as an ache in the back base of the neck and continued muscle spasms in the upper back/shoulder area.

But what you're describing certainly doesn't fit either of those description. I agree with "C" that your doc might have tunnel vision and it would be wise to get a second opinion. Is your surgeon a fellowship-trained spine surgeon, someone who only works on spines? If not, that might be a good surgeon to find for a second opinion.

I hope you find a diagnosis for your problem and that you get to feeling better soon.

Take care,
  • Thanks for the support and comments. I am looking for answers and it helps to talk with others who have had this surgery. I just want to know that others are having similar problems and I am not crazy.

Cath, to answer your question, yes, my surgeon specializes in just spine health and he is considered one of the best. I really like and trust him, but I did not like his I don't know answer at my last visit. I agree that Dr's can get tunnel vision and nobody is perfect. Dr's are only human and can miss things.

I see my surgeon again on the 21st and he told me on my last visit that he was considering a rheumatologist eval. Hopefully this may point us in the right direction.