Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Top Foods for Dieting

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Diet, Nutrition, Weight Loss
Here are the dieting foods list,

1. Apples

The pectin in apples makes you feel more full. This is a great way to eat less. In addition, the pectin actually limits your cells fat absorption. Try an apple in the morning during breakfast or try it as a midday snack.

2. Avocadoes

Avocadoes are proof that a food does not have to be low in fat to help you lose weight. Instead, it needs to have the right kind of fat. Avocadoes contain more than 25 of the essential nutrients. When you eat an avocado you're getting B vitamins, potassium, vitamin E, and lutein.

3. Grapefruits

Of all the citrus foods, grapefruit ranks the best as a diet food. It can lower your insulin levels which in turn will make you less hungry. If you don't like grapefruit, add a different citrus fruit. Both grapefruits and oranges can increase your metabolism. The vitamin C actually dilutes fat.

4. Hot peppers

Spicy foods such as jalapeños are one of the best diet foods. They give a quick boost to the metabolism. They also prove that healthy food is not necessarily bland.

5. Broccoli

Broccoli is a powerful anticancer food. Its high in calcium, iron, magnesium, vitamin A, and vitamin C. It's filling without being high in calories.

6. Blueberries

Blueberries are full of powerful antioxidants. They fight against disease, give you energy, and their sweet taste makes a great snack.

7. Almonds

Of all the nuts, almonds are the most nutritional. Have a handful of almonds in the morning during breakfast to give you energy for the rest of the day. They are also great to replace any unhealthy snack foods which are standing in the way of your weight loss goals.

• 3. Grapefruits

Watch out with grapefruits. As much as I enjoy some. Many medications warn about not eating grapefruit while taking that med.

• Lara
    These super foods should all be part of our balanced diet and moderation in all things, I would include walnuts and my homemade soups, brown bread or porridge, I did mix in wheat-germ although is was like glue, effective but challenging.

Water and anything under 6gm of fat per 100.

I know the difficulty in trying to exercise at the rate needed to be effective and use resistant exercise with a heart rate monitor, to keep me in the optimum zone, exhausted !

30 lbs and counting,

• John-Way to go 30lbs yay!
    I lost 35lbs and right now I'm stuck but hope to get to pool therapy soon to get some excercise. In the meantime I use a recumbent bucycle but it bothers my foot a lot.
    Thanks for the post Lara and lots of water is good also. TC Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • 40 lbs gone gone gone. Yay. Drink lots of water 10 glasses a day and cut portion size. Taking the strain off my back.
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Good for you Charry.

I'm upping my water intake. Eating much healthier than I ever had. The portion size part is killing me. I feel hungry in a short time after using smaller portions. Then when I eat a full meal it's like, oh brother, better get on the elliptical and start burning some of this off...

The water increase I have tried without much success. Helps clean your system. I still love my coffee though... I'm stuck with that stubborn fat that sticks to guys guts and doesn't like to let go. Upping my cardio is starting to help, but not as much as I would like.

• Graham,

Congrats on the changes you are making. When I have been most successful at weight loss (110 lbs in the last 2 yrs) I did short bursts of really fast walking to jogging to sprinting. I know with recovering backs that might be impossible, but try it when you're walking. Do 30 seconds of really fast walking and then back to normal pace. Do this every 5 minutes. Any change in aerobic activity, shocks your body into giving up those last few lbs, etc. I bet you will see a difference very quickly.

Congrats on the 40 lbs. There is no feeling quite like hitting those milestones in weight loss! Keep up the great work :)

• You folks are inspiring me.
    I have been out of commission for 6 months and used to use exercise as a way to sort of allow me to eat what I wanted.

I'm on a mission the next 6 months to lose the pounds I put on over the prior 6 months.
    I need to read through all of this and put my own personal nutrition plan together.

Thank you!
  • Traci-That's awesome about your weight loss. You probably look like a godess!

Graham-I only drink one coffee a day now. And sometimes I get one decaf coffee as a reward for walking. But caffeine affects the bones so limit coffee and any colas. When I was working all I drank was caffeine and no water. I hated water. Now I put in a little lemon or lime juice sometimes to change the taste of water. But it's really important. Take a glass and sit at the computer.

I even eat yogurt and 2 squares of chocolate a day. Walking is so good for you and epiletical that's great.
    DNice good luck I know you can do it. Take care. Charry
  • The food which I want to prefer for weight loss is green tea black tea and acai berry.
  • Impressive review almost all foods are benefits towards your health but my favourite from the list are:-

• Very good thinking.
    I agree with you Charry that water could be very useful
    for weight loss....because water has much natural salt
    and mineral who can reduce our carbs on our belly.

• Fruits, Exercise and veggies are really good menu for dieting. Another one is the use of natural sweetener. Instead of using sugar on your milk, coffee, cakes and many more. You can use natural sweetener like Natvia. It is a much healthy version of sugar. It has fewer calories and also used by many people already. You can try it.
  • ->Low Fat and Fat Free Dairy Products
    ->Black beans
    ->Light Salad
  • I love everything on the list! Whether i'm on a diet or not, i eat them with my meals.
  • aniltamang777aniltamang777 Posts: 5
    edited 07/12/2013 - 4:30 AM
    I think apple is the best for my diet becz i am unable to feel good and want to eat low.
  • great list, i love most is the avocado.
  • Well I don't think that only fruits are the best diet for weight loss; we need some more instead of fruits; such as foods & recipes with less calories and cholesterol; for example eggs; oats; almond butter; yogurt; olive oil and the most important water. Medically it was proved that 8 glass of water per day helps to reduce weight.
  • thanks for sharing the list of foods for fat loss program.
  • RickyMartinRRickyMartin Posts: 4
    edited 12/02/2013 - 9:19 AM
    I like this thread because it is about diet food. No doubt that there are so many food for diet but according to me natural food like fruits and vegetables are best food to add in diet specially for weight lose.
    Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, health care facilities, web sites, or naming of health care professionals is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.
    Post edited by the Spine Health Moderation Team
    Please review the forum rules prior to posting at these links for more information.

Spamming our forums is not permitted on Spine Health
This discussion has been closed.