Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

42 hours till my surgery

lindinyllindiny Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
It will be an L3 to S1 fusion and decompression. I've been reading the forum to try and anticiapate what it will be like after. Of course I still have no idea. Try to think of it as an adventure but,..good luck with that! I'm nervous, hoping this isn't a mistake, wanting so much to be strong and healthy again, afraid of the pain and ready to hate the brace!! That's all I know now........more later, maybe............ L

• I don't know how old you are or what shape you are in prior to your surgery, so I don't know much about what your outcome will be. I had the same levels fused a little over a year ago. It took two surgeries four days apart to do it. I'm very stiff still, over a year out of surgery, but I have much less pain than I had prior to surgery. I wasn't in good shape, and I'm old (55), so that may have something to do with not recovering all that well. Actually, my PT says I'm doing great -- I just wish I could do more.

All the best to you.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Good healing vibes to you. Sounds like you are in a good state of mind which is important.

• That is a large fusion - I hope you do well. Do let us know. There are lots of people here that can be there for you.
  • i got into a motorcycle accident on july 18 09 and fractured t 11 and t 12 (burst and compression fractures to each). underwent fusion and was fused from t8 to l3. 12 screws and two rods.
    was in the hospital for exactly one week from the date of the accident.
    the pain sucks but trust me after about a 1 month you'll be fine.
  • 21 hours now! My husband, who was to be my primary care person, fell on the ice on Xmas eve and broke 6 ribs and punctured a lung. We have overlapping, conflicting medical emegencies!! He is slowly recovering and my son is coming from CA for a few days when I come home Fri.

Thanx to all who are responding........I need all the help and info I can get!!
  • Although I'm only having my L4/5 done, my TLIF is on Wednesday. I'm thinking about you and wishing you a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

Let's both check back in here when we can and compare notes. Take care of yourself and I'll be thinking about you.

• Good luck to you, too, Cath. Besides the fusion, I am also having decompression surgery, which I have not seen much comment on. That's where they give me new discs made of plastic cages filled with bone chips. Anyone have experience with this??

I will stay in touch.........
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I'm having a posteriolateral L3-S1 on February 3rd! Let us know how you do and I'm sending you healing wishes.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Hi Lindiny

Hope your surgery went well and that you're resting and starting on the road to recovery. Sorry to hear about your husband's accident and looks like he won't be able to help you as much as you'd hoped. Do accept as much help as you can from family and friends and don't be tempted to do too much in the house too soon.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • lindiny-the waiting is the worse part-when you wake up a new healing period will begin---keep us posted,and PM any or all of us,because the spineys on here have helped me more than I can express--so ask,cry,whine,whatever,but let us be part of your healing!
  • I am seven weeks post-op from an L4-S1 fusion. My Surgeon also used "Peek" cages with bone in place of the missing discs, as well as a plate for support.

Six years previously I did not have the cages for L2-L4, just rods and screws. What a difference in the x-ray. The area with the cages looks great, like a "normal" spine. Not much else I can add since it is so soon after surgery. Good luck.