Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

kj10601kkj10601 Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had anterior cervical discetomy and fusion with allograft bone plate and screws on December 18th.(my third spine surgery in four years)I know it has only been two weeks but the pain is horrible still. I still have numbness and pain down my arms, shoulders and middle back. In 2005 I had a discetomy only in my lower back, last year I had spinal fusion, cage, screws,I was told this surgery wasn't nearly as bad as that one. I am miserable.
My husband got worried and called my surgeon last week, with the holiday no one was in the office. My surgeon did call back within minutes, he is wonderful. He doesn't understand why my pain meds were lowered and had me double up until he can get me something tomorrow. He did say this is normal but if I am no better he wants to see me.
Is this normal? My lower back has been horrible too. Since this surgery two weeks ago, it feels as as it did before my surgery a last year.
I'm getting so upset with all the pain, I feel like this is it, this is my life from now on. There is no explanation as to why any of my injuries happened, I have never been in an accident, my back kind of just went one day and never has been the same. My surgeon doesn't understand it and always says he only sees this in accident victims. Same with my neck, just all of a sudden my arms started hurting, then my neck. At first I was told my pocketbook was too heavy, I insisted on seeing my doctor who sent me back to my surgeon, he is the one who of course told me what was going on. Same thing happened before my second back surgery, that time I was told it was scar tissue from my first surgery, when I went to my surgeon my disc was ruptured (again) and my spine was collapsing.
So now I trust no one except my surgeon.
I just need to hear that maybe my pain from my last surgery is normal, I'm going insane. Sorry for this being so long, I just needed to vent. No one who hasn't had these surgeries just does not understand. I am in pain every second of every day.

• Hello,

I can really relate to your story, I too had anterior neck surgery Dec. 2nd 2009 they put bone grafts and rods and 6 screws from C4-C7. I had front neck surgery Dec. 8th 2008 C4-C7, removed three disk, plate, cage and 8 screws, three months later I started to have new neck pain and 8 months (Oct. 2009) they told my my plate was loose and I never fused so that's why I had the 2nd surgery four weeks ago.
    This surgery was by far more painful than the front neck surgery and my recovery he said will be long and slow. I am still wearing the hard collar 24/7, I am hoping I can get rid of it on the 13th. My pain level is better but I still am taking pain med every four hours during my waking hours, at night I can sleep through the night. The doc said I have a 50% chance of my pain level not improving at all but a 50% change it can get to a C+ or B- compared to before my surgery. I would love to it be a C+, if not he said I am done working, I just turned 60 two months ago and I never dreamed 18 months ago I would be in this shape. I am grateful for my wife and family, friends who have taken care of me and pray daily that I will be better. Just try and remember spine surgery is always very serious and we need to follow the doctors orders and (this part I hate) be patient and let our bodies time to heal.

• I am a lumbar spiney so can't comment with any degree of specific comment, but, as you said, two weeks is still very early in recovery. If there was any degree of nerve compression prior to surgery, the nerves are annoyed from any degree of manipulation and can act up and cause even more pain initially.

Regarding any lumbar pain you are experiencing, it is most likely from the crazy positions they put you in during the surgery while on the operating table.

It sounds like your doctor will be adjusting your pain meds tomorrow. Be sure to take them just as prescribed so the pain doesn't get ahead of you.

Hopefully that will make a big difference and you will start to feel a bit better very soon.

• Thank you Rick and Gwennie for replying. I haven't been back on because sitting at the computer does me no good :).
    I'm still feeling pretty miserable but not so down, today.
    My surgeon did give me some pain meds, of course he wasn't there on Monday so I had to wait until Tuesday.
    The donor bone in my lower back worked great, I'm hoping this one will also. Before my back surgery, the first one, I had numbness in my left foot, that never came back. I still have no feeling there. I'm hoping this does not happen with my hands! I wouldn't be able to go back to work.
    Speaking of, after the first two I could't wait to get back to work, this one, I want the time to go VERY slow!!!! How horrible is that?
    Thanks so much to you both for replying, it is so nice to know there are people out there that know, that understand and that care!