Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Praying for an Answer

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Lower Back Pain
Heres my problem. 22,Male With IBD,Osteoporosis.

A month ago i pulled or gave my back out lifting something not too heavy. i was sitting down and bending over.

If I stand up... I need a walker to walk. I feel I will Fall without total arm support.

It later got worse. I stood up on a curb and i got this HUGE jolt of pain that sent me to my knees. It hurt all too bad i couldnt breathe. The pain lessened but stayed there for say 45 minutes.

At the moment Im speechless, Cant walk much without a walker, im afraid to cough or sneeze or the pain will be debilitating.

Doctor claims i sprained it. But I doubt it.

Wish I had some answers. No MRI yet.

• i dont have any answers but if i was you i would call your docs and if you get no joy from them can you go to er,? if the pain is getting that bad

hope you are not feeling no one cares, maybe you could post in another section, all the best
  • complain to your doc, sounds like you need an MRI, your age is working against you. I don't know why so many docs can't realize that age has nothing to do with injuries.
  • Kasper,
    Do you have a history of back problems; take your medication by the clock so that your threshold of pain tolerance is lifted and this may help with the peaks and troughs, try to mobilise where possible and rest when required pace well and make a list of the things you need to do, then cut it in half.

Try not to think too far ahead to what it might be, and use that energy to improve you current strategy of coping, what makes it better, anything ! do more of that, what makes it worse do none of that. Hold onto something when you cough and as daft as it sound make a big noise when you cough, this may reduce the pressure going downwards.

I am coming through a flare up myself, unable to stand for 50 hours sat in one place and its takes some tenacity to deal with all of this change. Here an MRI cost about £800+ and perhaps your initial examination gave some clue as to what the next step should be, are you a doctor, the doctor is trying to help you, a guess to what it might be is just that and I do understand that frustration of unimaginable pain and wanting to know what it is, so do many here who have had similar condition for many years, finding and repairing all these problems never as simplistic as we imagine.

Clearly the increase of activity for the moment makes it worse, so try to do less we all know how hard that is, the evidence may seem to be pointing at your lifting event, do you think it is linked to your underlying bone condition, what advice did the doctor give you if any.

Take care we do understand, it is very painful and not easy.

• Yes i think it is from my lifting inncident because of the fact it was the same type of pain experienced when the time occured.

I dont think it has to do with my bone issue.

my primary care doctor twice thinks its a sprain and my physical therapist thinks its very tight muscle and needs stretching/working. But who knows.

that pain did not feel like a sprain.

as of now, i feel better definitly. im more mobile but afraid to let go of the walker. my whole body feels stiff like a board if i try to let go. not sure if thats mental or physical or both.

thanks for caring.
  • Kasper,
    Using your walker will help put less pressure on the effected area and allow you to complete some mobility or additional tasks that it may be difficult or impossible without it; this is going to take time. We automatically change our stance and gait when pain arrives and this does impact how we move at this time and most of it is unavoidable, some mobility if possible will help in the future. It is always difficult assessing if these events are periodic flare ups of from specific accidents and it is normal to be concerned about our continuing health and those implications.

Anyone who has endured pain for whatever duration does care about others and what this feels like, we all help each other in our specific hour of need that means we can then help someone else.

Try not to worry and good luck.

Hope things continue to progress.

• thanks john. Much appreciated. I got a brace coming. I pray it helps. Please keep in touch I will let you know the progress. Even if i get better I will never lifting anything without my knees again EVER. I dont even know if the object will ever leave my bellybutton area. must lift right now.

thanks so much!
  • It sounds like an MRI would be worthwhile.
    Just my 2-cents if you need a walker to get around.
    Your age is probably why doctors are less worried but I'd push for MRI and try to stay flat and take the orders until you can get an MRI.

I agree on heading to ER if you are having trouble walking. I would keep an eye on bladdar/bowel too . ..not sure if you issue is back pain or nerve pain. If nerve, watch for sign of weaker legs (tip toe walking, heel walking pain) or numbness...if you experience this, call doctor.
  • Dnice, im not in pain at all right now. Im using the walker because I am afraid to hurt myself. I guess a lot of it is mental. I am going to try to take baby steps in transfering over to a cane and than nothing.
  • Kasper...sounds like you are being wise and playing it safe. SMART!

Keep us posted on how you are feeling through the weekend. Glad to hear you are doing a little better today.
  • Kasper,
    The brace will help and support you, try not to do too much and pacing will, be the key. That level of pain changes who we become inside and it is always proactive in addressing any issues before they change our behaviour and become part of us. Stay as positive as you can and continue looking at finding what is the cause of this condition, although the current level of pain may be diminishing with experience we all know that it will return in the future with vengeance and we need to be ready for that event as best we can.

Hopefully this will be a one off event and never to return and as you say lifting things will never be the same and nor should it.

Take care and good luck

This discussion has been closed.