Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

nerve pain on opposite side from pre-surgery pain ACDF C5/C7

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am 4+ months post ACDF C5/7 and have had that same weird nerve pain now starting on the opposite side from before I had the surgery. It has been 3 days of it, and as we all know with nerve pain, it just hurts nonstop -- burning right shoulder, down the right arm, etc. I take Neurontin and Tylenol but nothing else. Is this common after so long? I've had a very fine recovery, all pain gone from the left side, lost weight, exercise by walking. My next dr's appt is at least a month away. I've been kind of hoping it just goes away . . . any advice is appreciated.

• Hi Laura,

It is common to have nerve pain following surgery on the opposite side. However I would think by now it would have calmed down. Did the pain start right after surgery or did it come up gradually, and continue to get worse. Keep in mind nerves take a long time to heal. How is your fusion itself coming along? Be sure you are making your surgeon aware of this. They may want to get a CT scan to look more closely at the fusion itself. If by any chance there is a problem of the fusion it could be causing these issues. If the pain is more than you can handle you may want to see about getting a appointment earlier. What dose of nuerotin on you currently using? They may have room to adjust that a bit higher? Have you had any therapy as of yet? Sometimes message therapy can help bring that down as well. Keep us posted on how you do.
  • To answer some of your questions, no did not experience this after the surgery, it was sudden -- past 3 days. I'm on 800 of neurontin a day -- I find more can make me feel a little out of it.
    I emailed my neurosurgeon who said if it doesn't get better in 2-3 days to make an appt. He said most likely I did something that aggravated the nerve and it should improve. Lifting something was most likely the cause