Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 quick questions on nerve ablation/ hyperlordosis

Pepper1PPepper1 Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:40 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I was in a motor vehicle accident. I have neck pain and “cervical hypolordosis” (actually, the curve is actually reversed). This condition is not the result of muscle guarding, according to pt’s and md’s. I have been told by some that it is correctable, and by others that it isn’t. I have also been told by some that this condition correlates with pain, and by others that it doesn’t. What have you been told?

I am going to have a facet joint nerve ablation performed to reduce/eliminate the pain associated with my neck. My doctor has recommended that I have this procedure performed on more than one vertebral level, even though the pain seems localized at one level. The doctor feels it would beneficial do all levels rather that one to “cover all bases.” This seems unusual to me since others on this forum have had one level done rather than this “all or nothing” approach.

Also, I have been told that after this procedure I will likely lose sensation on the back of my neck and in/on nearby areas. Is this loss of sensation considered a normal side effect of ablation, or an undesired complication of the procedure? My doctor makes it sound normal.

Your thoughts? Thanks.

advertisement

Comments

• Hello,
    I also suffer from neck issues C2,C3,C4,C5,C6,C7 (2 ski injuries back to back)I have been in 3 times and I am scheduled for another RF procedure on Jan 26. Prior to the first procedure I had constant numbness and pins and needles in my Left arm and hand that was gone immediately after the procedure and has not come back much. I would do as many levels as they recommend. I do have slight numbness on the back of my neck. But I only notice it when I brush my hair etc.. and it beats the alternative. The down side of Nerve ablation that I feel that the Dr's minimize is. I had major burning after the first procedure, I have since learned they used heated lesioning rather than pulsed frequency so I would ask about that. I found the heated more effective though more painful recovery. I wish you well. Neck pain really sucks!
    Have you ever had deep tissue massage? That has helped me so much!
    Good luck and feel free to email me with any other questions. I've tried many things as my injuries were 8 and 9 years ago.
  • Hi,
    I have had cervical pain for gosh, 20 + years plus pain from a lumbar disc extrusion 2 years ago. 2 1/2 weeks ago I had RFA of the facet joints at c-4 through c-6 as well as the lumbar spine. The lumbar RFA went well and worked great. However the aftermath of the cervical RFA has been terrible. The doctor needed to do a lot of manipulation to get the needles into the right spots for the electrical stimulation part and I thought that was the problem but now I'm not sure anymore.

I have had severe burning pain into both shoulders since this procedure was done. So bad that I have had to use muscle relaxants, narcotics, and a TENS unit in addition to my usual chronic pain medications!

Binkydidit - how long did the burning pain last?