Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Weakness feeling in legs and numbness...please advise me

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
Hi everyone

I'm not sure whether to write this question in the lower back or leg section, so I will write it in both.

I am a 24 year old female who slipped one (possibly 2) discs in my lower back 15 months ago. I had some mild backache for a months beforehand, due to obesity and bad posture (I stuck my bum out) The herniated disc happened when I was sitting on a bar stool on holiday for 4 hours. The pain was horrific and I narrowly avoided surgery (the sciatica and numbness in my labia got slightly better)

I was instructed to lose weight and have physical therapy. I lost 2 stone and my back felt much better and because relaxed about my weight again, something I deeply regret.

At one point this year, I was doing martial arts and attempting to job. However, sitting and standing for long periods caused a dull pain to my lower back.

If I'm being honest, the very very slight numbess in my bum and labia never went away and my back has been troublesome since....shopping seems to be the worst, standing still I think.

The new thing happening is that my legs feel weak. Not actually weak as I have a relatively normal activity level at the moment, they just have a weak/strange sensation to the ankle.

I have had to finish physical therapy now as I had nearly 30 sessions and the lady there said it's not as scary as it feels and that I need to build my core stability.

I am away from home for the next 6 weeks, and so can't really see a Doctor until then.

Does this mean it is still my disc or is it obesity/back pain? I don't stick my bum out like a pregnant woman anymore and my movement is fine.

Thanks for any advcie, and thanks for listening. Sometimes I think noone understands!

Amelie x

• I'm sorry you're having pain and numbness and we certainly can relate to you. I hope you can see your Doctor soon. It's best if they get x-rays and an MRI to see what's going on. I understand the battle to lose weight also but it's hard to exercise when you're having pain. Is there a clinic or ER you can go to to get that numbness checked out? Take care and keep us posted how you're doing. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN