Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

7 Week Post Op Check tomorrow

TraseeTTrasee Posts: 571
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So I will finally see my Dr again tomorrow. I am really not sure how to address my emotions on having no options to reach him other than go to ER or call 911. I can get really pissed from like 0-60 in under 5 seconds so I really am concerned how to go about this. Just for anyone not aware of my situation, I developed incision infection weeks ago, the 23rd of Dec. I was unable to reach surgeon. Office closed for holiday until Dec 29th. By then I obviously sought help from my pc and antiobiotics have helped tremendously. But I am really mad and don't want to alienate this Surgeon. He is wonderful at his job and I feel much better than I expected at this point. Please any advice will help. I have to see him at 1030 am Tuesday and I am up and down most of the night stil.

Thanks for listening to the rant/rambling,

• I think it's best to tell the Surgeon that for some reason there was no one on call to help and he can check it out or maybe the office Manager so that it won't happen again to you or anyone again. I'm sorry you had an infection post-op. I hope you heal completely. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks Charry,

I certainly hope it never happens to others. It is a helpless feeling that is just devestating as I was having bout of post op depression at same time. This is just something that no surgical patient should have to deal with.
  • I would like to thank the 53 viewers of my issue, for their input. I know its difficult to just offer advice when that leaves you no way to tell your whole history. I really just needed some input because I was so upset. Charry thanks for the reply.
  • Sounds like you're still upset.

How did your appointment go today? What did the doctor have to say about your infection?

If I am reading your post correctly, you developed the infection five or six weeks after your surgery, and it is at the site of the incision. I am interested in learning how you are doing and what the surgeon had to say by way of explanation...I've not heard of an infection developing so far out from the surgical date.

Hope you can get this under control quickly, and that you found a satisfactory way to deal with your doctor.
  • The surgeon needs to know that your infection WAS a big deal, and that its a good thing that someone else did damage control for him. Its understandable that he took a vacation - surgeons are human with stressful jobs and need vacations as much as anyone, but there should always, always be a covering physician, preferably in that specialty. You can't be mad at him for the infection, those happen and are part of medicine, you do have a right to be mad at him for being non-responsive. You read about so many bad outcomes here that DO need to be addressed relatively immediately post-op, what if it wasn't something your PCP could handle?
  • Gwennie, My appt went fine. I was more upset that I couldn't get any advice from ANYONE on the board. I know many people have gone thru so many different scenarios with their surgeons, that surely some one would have some advice how to approach this subject. I often feel that this forum is very cliquish and if you're not part of that, then tough. Charry of course, was kind enough to reply which was appreciated.

I tend to develope late infections after deep incisions. After orig laminectomy 08/06, Gallbladder 09/04, Current surgical issue. None of my physicians really seems to have an answer why this tends to happen. I have been tested as mrsa carrier 3 times. alway negative. SO I am coming along just fine and will continue to read forum but will participate less. I appreciate your concern.

Optimist, I appreciate the reply. I'm ok now and was able to address my concerns with my surgeon and his staff. Fortunately my PC has a great FNP.

Best Wishes,

• I'm sorry I didn't reply after I read your post. I'm a little outspoken and if I had given you advice your doctor probably would have kicked you out. I hope your feeling better. I also hope your doctor addressed your concerns about no one being on call for him.
  • I have not been on SH for over a week, or I would have posted to you :) Now that my husband is back at work I will have a lot more free time for the computer. I would have went off on that doctor so much that I probably would have gotten kicked out of the office too, lol. I'm glad to hear the appointment went well. Details please? I've been worrying about you!
  • I just saw your post now (2 days late!). Sorry I missed it. I'm very suprised that he has no covering Doctors. Every Doctor I have gone to has at least had another on call, at least to talk to.

I'm glad your appointment went well and you are coming along fine. Please don't feel slighted that you didn't get much of a response, its happened to me too. I think sometimes the ones who may answer missed your post from 2 days ago (I did).

In other cases I think we just don't have a clue what to say. More than once I have erased a response because It felt that I was just not helping at all, and basically saying "nothing". Maybe I won't do that anymore, just so that the person knows they are being reached and thought of. I'm sorry this has upset you, Lisa
  • Andrea and Lisa, You both pm me etc. I know what you have both recently gone thru and really didn't expect responses because we pm anyway, but there are ppl on this site that reply to everything if it is part of their clique, since I left high school too many years ago to go thru that again. I wrote my displeasure.

I was in a situation I was really unsure how to handle. I didn't know exactly how to come across as tactfully pissed. I figured it out. But it made me realize, I have made a couple of friends here that I can pm with or what not and to leave the topic posting to others.

Thanks either way Andrea or Lisa, see you in chat or on FB.