Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I made it through surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

texascowgirlttexascowgirl Posts: 535
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
well,spineys,I made it through the spinal fusion---I had it last Thursday morning,and they sent me home on Sat.afternoon.I did not feel ready to go home,and the Dr. said I did not have to,but he said he felt I was ready. I could barely get out of bed without help,and I had only walked to the nurses station,which was right across from my room.But I went home and it has been fine. Actually I rested better.Last night I almost had a mini meltdown,but I got control.I had to remind my hub that even though I am getting around better than my first surgery,I am still not going to be back to perky for a long time--I know he is just encouragingme----it reminds me of some of the posts that talk about people saying,"wow,you arent using your walker all the time,you must feel great!?!?

• that your surgery is behind you and that you are home again. I hope that your recovery will be uncomplicated and that the pain levels will subside quickly. You did go home amazingly quickly.

Take care and don't over do it.
  • Wow you did well. Forgot what area(s) you had fused. I had L4/5 and was in the hospital 5 days and then a nursing rehab center for almost 2 weeks lol. Was nice chatting with you a bit in chat last night. Hope you continue having a speedy recovery.

Best wishes,

• thank you Marianne!----I could have used some more tlc from the hospital---I was really nervous about leaving!--I had L4-5-done---I enjoy chatting with you too! sometimes when there are alot on chat I get lost-but I love it! How are you doing?
  • I'm so glad you've made it to the other side! Now you just have to make sure you follow your restrictions - no relapses allowed! LOL ;)
  • saltz,don't you have surgery tomorrow?
  • Great to hear that the surgery went ok. I think for most of us there is that uncertainty of going home where there aren't trained medical staff on call, but you've made it! Hope you aren't in too much pain and that your healing goes well.
  • Jeannie...so glad to hear this went well for you! I try to keep track of the spineys who are scheduled for surgery...got a list here with screen names and real names. My brain on vico...not so good! ha ha

I'm so glad you're doing as well as you are!!!!!! Chat with ya later!
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    So glad to see you are home. One of my big fears is being sent home before I'm ready. I hate hospitals but the hospital bed is usually the best for comfort, for me, after surgery.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Yep - I just got the call from the hospital - 7:30 a.m.

My stomach has been filled with butterflies all day. I don't think I'll even be able to eat a dinner it's being so tetchy right now.
  • thank you for all of your encouraging words!I am glad I was not the only one afraid to go home-----but here I am,in the comfort of home with my husband and dog----the dog "helps" my husband with my shower and also changing the dressing---great to have helping hands and paws---I hope everyone has a restful night
  • Hi and wow, what a great upbeat post for someone who just had a fusion. It seems that you really set realistic expectations for your pain, your mood, and how you would approach the good intentioned encouragement that might rub you the wrong way.

I'm glad to hear the doctor didn't rush you out of the hospital but assured you he felt you were ready. It seems that because you had the choice, you were more comfortable in going home.

I am glad you are thru the surgery and can focus on recovery. Keep us updated.
  • Glad to hear that you're home and doing well. Getting home was the most important thing for me. A week in the hospital was more than I could take. Wouldn't have been that long, but I ended up needing two surgeries.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • So glad to hear you made it and are now home!!
    I remember both of us being so nervous. I;ve been home for 10 days now. My wife has been an absolute angel putting up with my recovery. Glad to hear you have Hubby and pooch to help you along. What a blessing it is to be cared for by someone who really cares.
    Take it easy. Rest when you're supposed to.
    Keep us posted - Best Of Luck!!

Go Cowboys!!
  • thank you dnice,istellar, and ray---you all are so wonderful!dnice,you made a good point about the choice being mine to go home-honestly,if we did't live 1 1/2 hours from the hospital,I probably would have stayed another night.That would have been another round trip for hubby,and I didn't want him to have to do that.As you all probably know by now,my pup--70lb.Ridgie--is a very important part of my life---when I am gone overnight he doesnt eat---so since I doubt they would let him spend the night(haha) it was time to go.ray,it sounds like you are very positive about your recovery! and yes DA BOYS ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!---love to all,Jeannie
  • Glad to hear that things are going well for you. I know how it feels to miss your fur friends. Mine missed me as I was gone for 6 days for surgery. Keep doing well and glad to hear you are home. Love, Robin
  • I'm glad you're home safe and it's great you have a positive outlook that will get you through. I loved to read your husbands hand and dog's paws helped you with the shower. That was so cute. I really wish you heal completely. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • So glad to hear that you are home! My fusion is tomorrow--im scared, but thanks to everyone here I am feeling confident that I can make it through!

Good luck with your continued recovery :)
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Keep us updated as your recovery goes along. Don't overdo it and listen to your body!
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos