Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just another reason why doc's don't trust people

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:40 AM in Pain Medications

• Reason our doctors (mine anyway) are moving on to electronic prescriptions.

I never see a script from my PCP anymore it goes straight to the pharmacy of my choice.

I'm sure at some point someone will hack into that system to.
  • I hope they catch them all. This is also another good reason why I go straight to the pharmacy with my scripts and drop them off the same day of my appts to avoid someone trying to rob me, etc.
  • If you see a doctor for what ever reason, and you have a legitimate case, I see no reason why they would not treat you. And continue treating you as long as you follow prescribed treatment.

Any doctor who treats patients with controlled substances without obtaining xrays or MRI reports is, in my opinion, asking for trouble.

This story, on the other hand, is awful! It just goes to show the lengths some people will go to make a buck (or 20,000)!

A few months ago my doctor did tell me (after I admitted to her that a few months prior to this visit I had lost a good portion of my prescription - but it was early enough that I was able to drastically ration what I had left) that the medication I take is worth at least $5 per mg (making one bottle of my prescription medication worth about $10 grand on the street, the other about $13 grand) and that I should guard it with my life.

These days, I do!

You know, if the guy in the story worked as hard at a legitimate job.... he'd likely do very well in life! Now, as a repeat offender (and a parole violation at that) he will likely "do life"!
  • Grrrrrr! I think I had better keep my mouth shut on this one!
  • I've been going to the same pharmacy for 21 months with the same prescription for MS contin 120 mg. amount 120 pills. Often my prescription lasts 35-40 days. My husband always gets my prescription and he went to pick it up at 300 am and they gave him 5 pills as they needed to clarify things with my Dr. Everything was clear on the prescription as I saw it and questioned the Pharmacist why I couldn't get my pills. I said is it because it's 300 am and because it's my husband's and not me? He said sorry because they didn't give me any last month until clearing it with my Dr. and they have to be careful in this area of the city. I said I understand but he says from now on there will be no more problems. That's what crooks do they make everyone suspicious of innocent people who are legit with pain. Thanks for posting article DDDback. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Isn't some of this on the Dr's for just giving out DEA numbers and giving scripts for made up injuries? Any dr I see won't just give Narcotics without xrays, mri's, etc. Especially Oxycontin or Oxycodone. Maybe Ultram if you're lucky until tests are conclusive. So don't just blame the criminals. There are always going to be criminals, but the medical community must be as vigilant with their info as we all do with our own. The new watermaks required on paper scripts here in Tn MIGHT help that.

• DDDBACK said:

Not good for the true Chronic pain people.

When I read this said it all.

First, the scammers called doctors’ offices and conned staffers into giving up their Drug Enforcement Administration numbers, which must be printed on prescriptions for controlled substances. They used information about doctors found in the trash outside pharmacies to bolster their credibility. In other cases, they recruited “patients” to fake injuries and get genuine narcotics prescriptions with the DEA numbers on them.

My doc can do hydrocodone electronically but anything more powerful you need to go see him and get a prescription. Its the doctors fault not to tell his staffers that anybody that got his DEA number that their job went with it.